Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #361
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s entirely up to the border agent whether or not they let you cross. You could admit to smoking cannabis and they may deny you or let you in. You could deny it, or have never used cannabis in your life and they could still deny you entry. Being a Canadian citizen doesn’t give you the right to enter the US, but you can still be allowed to enter even if you admit to having used cannabis, whether it be medicinal or not. Having a card just looks a little more legit.

That's not true at all. They will deny you entry if you admit to smoking pot. They may let you voluntarily return but it's more likely they ban you for life. It's not optional. Why anyone would answer yes is beyond me. Of course you answer no.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #362
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
That's not true at all. They will deny you entry if you admit to smoking pot. They may let you voluntarily return but it's more likely they ban you for life. It's not optional.
Go ahead and google it, you’ll get varying opinions from legal experts on the matter but the most common thing you’ll see is that you can be denied entry or that you can be banned for life. I’ve gone through customs many times, and speaking from my own personal experience I can say your statement that a person will be denied entry for admitting to having used cannabis is not accurate. I’m not suggesting it’s going to do a person any favours as far as getting through but it is discretionary, like a lot of things at the border.

Quote:
Why anyone would answer yes is beyond me. Of course you answer no.
Because when they scan your passport more than just you address pops up on their screen. They could also ask to go through your phone etc, so unless you’re 100% certain you have nothing that can be traced back to you having used cannabis you could be taking a greater risk by lying.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #363
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not true at all. They will deny you entry if you admit to smoking pot. They may let you voluntarily return but it's more likely they ban you for life. It's not optional. Why anyone would answer yes is beyond me. Of course you answer no.
Because willfully/knowingly lying to Border Patrol is not a good way to go, either?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #364
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Because willfully/knowingly lying to Border Patrol is not a good way to go, either?
I disagree with iggy. You will without question be denied entry if you admit to breaking a federal law in the US. So you either answer no or you don't bother. The discretion agents have is to allow you to voluntarily withdraw your application for entry or exclude you permanently. But there is no way you will get across admitting to marijuana use. Maybe in the past but not now.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #365
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
The only way you believe this is if you’re naive or have never done drugs.

There are so many idiotic reasons you could be denied entry permanently just for having association with weed, it isn’t worth the risk to tell the truth.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #366
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You will without question be denied entry if you admit to breaking a federal law in the US.
Using cannabis outside of the states isn’t breaking a federal law in the US. Using cannabis while in the US is breaking a federal law in the US. If you had actually broken a federal law it’s unlikely the border agent would turn you away, they’d more than likely keep you there, in handcuffs.

Again a border agent can deny you access for any reason, you don’t have a right to enter their country unless you’re a US citizen.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #367
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Using cannabis outside of the states isn’t breaking a federal law in the US. Using cannabis while in the US is breaking a federal law in the US. If you had actually broken a federal law it’s unlikely the border agent would turn you away, they’d more than likely keep you there, in handcuffs.

Again a border agent can deny you access for any reason, you don’t have a right to enter their country unless you’re a US citizen.
It's breaking a law in your own country that equates to one in their's. It's the same thing.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #368
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's breaking a law in your own country that equates to one in their's. It's the same thing.
But it isn’t breaking a law in this country. At least not in all cases.

Soon underage users in Canada will be the only ones breaking any laws here.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #369
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
But it isn’t breaking a law in this country. At least not in all cases.

Soon underage users in Canada will be the only ones breaking any laws here.
It’s been clearly established border control doesn’t care if it is legal or not in Canada. I’m not sure why you think that would matter.

Making heat lamps or developing soil that may be used by weed companies in Canada is getting people banned. Investing in weed companies is getting people banned.

Unless something changes in the next 3 months, admitting to have any history of drug use or association with the weed industry could get you banned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #370
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It should be noted getting asked is extremely rare but as we all know from reading recent news articles, it appears border patrol is intent on setting some precedent and making examples of people given Canada is on the verge of legalization. The current federal government in the US is also extremely anti marijuana. So it isn’t likely your average citizen is gonna get asked and it may not last forever.

The problem is that this isn’t like getting a speeding ticket. Getting banned for life is ####ing permanent. It could cost you months of work and around $1000 every single time you want to travel to the US for the rest of your life. The stakes are extremely high.

Now all that being said, if I’m the co owner of a company that makes weed supplies or owns a dispensary, I’d just not go to the US instead of risk getting caught lying. I’m not and have nothing to hide so there’s a lot less risk.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #371
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The only way you believe this is if you’re naive or have never done drugs.

There are so many idiotic reasons you could be denied entry permanently just for having association with weed, it isn’t worth the risk to tell the truth.
I'm good, then.

There are many idiotic reasons to be denied entry, I'm not denying that. But lying about anything they ask you is not a good way to go and will pretty much only make any situation they discover you in worse. Know before you go if you can/should be going, and perhaps consider a trip somewhere else if you feel you will likely be turned back at the border.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #372
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you honestly suggesting all Canadians who have smoked pot should not go to the U.S.? You realize that's over half the country, right?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #373
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Are you honestly suggesting all Canadians who have smoked pot should not go to the U.S.? You realize that's over half the country, right?
So, you are saying that there may be unintended future consequences for partaking in currently illegal actions?

I'm not saying to not take the risk...but any which way you slice it..telling them, not telling them...lying, not lying...you are taking a risk that could get you a lifetime ban. You don't know 'what' you are getting in a border agent...but I have a feeling that lying to them will never stand well in your favor, if they find out.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #374
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

How exactly do you suppose a border agent is going to find out you smoked weed once.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #375
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unless something changes in the next 3 months, admitting to have any history of drug use or association with the weed industry could get you banned.
I’m not arguing that you can’t be denied entry or banned. I’m saying it is at the border agent’s discretion. Maybe that will change in the coming months and we’ll see a zero tolerance policy implemented and enforced but right now it simply isn’t the case.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #376
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How exactly do you suppose a border agent is going to find out you smoked weed once.
They read CP, duh.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #377
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
So, you are saying that there may be unintended future consequences for partaking in currently illegal actions?

I'm not saying to not take the risk...but any which way you slice it..telling them, not telling them...lying, not lying...you are taking a risk that could get you a lifetime ban. You don't know 'what' you are getting in a border agent...but I have a feeling that lying to them will never stand well in your favor, if they find out.
The problem is that you’ll still get banned even when it is a legal action. And as I’ve pointed out it isn’t just smoking weed. Having any association with the cannabis indistry could get you banned, even if you’ve never done drugs.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #378
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
They read CP, duh.
I knew it was a mistake legally changing my name to PepsiFree
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #379
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never dealt with the weed thing, but a friend of mine has a DUI on his record, and it is hit or miss whether they let him across the border apparently.

I went with him to a Red Wings game before and the border agent was nice but made the point that he could be denied entry, but they would let him through that one time. The American border agent also said that if it was the opposite, Canada almost never makes exceptions and any American with a DUI would be denied entry into Canada. Not sure if that is true or if he was exaggerating.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #380
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Never dealt with the weed thing, but a friend of mine has a DUI on his record, and it is hit or miss whether they let him across the border apparently.

I went with him to a Red Wings game before and the border agent was nice but made the point that he could be denied entry, but they would let him through that one time. The American border agent also said that if it was the opposite, Canada almost never makes exceptions and any American with a DUI would be denied entry into Canada. Not sure if that is true or if he was exaggerating.

There are a lot of things they do have discretion with. A dui might not be an issue if it was a long time ago and there were no other convictions on your record. And if you're not driving and can prove you're not planning on driving during your trip it would be less of a concern. There is a weird list of crimes that are never accepted and for some reason dui's are not on that list. But typically you would be denied entry with a dui conviction because it is a public safety concern.

The discretion border officials have with pot is whether to ask you the question in the first place, and whether they should exclude you or allow you to withdraw voluntarily. If you say yes you smoked pot once you're admitting to breaking a federal law but more importantly that the issue has not been resolved legally. There are no circumstances to defend your conviction nor any way to prove you've rehabilitated so it's not an optional matter.

They're not asking because they're curious and they're not asking 80 year old snow birds.