Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Toradol issues?

Is this common knowlege?

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...in-medications
Old 09-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that over prescription issues have long been a black mark on the entire sports spectrum. That and every leagues oblivious or purposeful omission of long term effects on athletes and their injuries (they made a damned movie about it).

Athletes get pumped full of this stuff with no regards to long term side effects , just as long as they perform and keep the dollars churning.

Its a pretty effed up.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think that over prescription issues have long been a black mark on the entire sports spectrum. That and every leagues oblivious or purposeful omission of long term effects on athletes and their injuries (they made a damned movie about it).

Athletes get pumped full of this stuff with no regards to long term side effects , just as long as they perform and keep the dollars churning.

Its a pretty effed up.
It's not just sports. There are a ton of doctors that treat every day people that do the same thing. My moms best friend is hooked on prescription pills and refuses to see any other doctor out of fear a different one might not feed her habit.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way pain killers will be reduced from the NHL is if they reduced the number of games and made there be mandatory breaks between games. An 82 game season is just to much for a body to withstand.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The story about Ryan Kesler and all the problems he has had from taking that, is really awful. I would not wish health issues like that on anyone.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN has a documentary up on this (as the article mentions), it definitely isn’t a good thing. Scary stuff.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

If only there was a natural pain reliever that had no effects on health and has never killed anyone from its use. It is legal in one country, but is illegal in a lot other where you can buy assault rifles at your local department store.

Thankfully the NHL has removed it from their banned list, but I am guessing we are years away from it's widespread acknowledgement of use.

Last edited by zukes; 09-23-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added part about NHL
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zukes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
If only there was a natural pain reliever that had no effects on health and has never killed anyone from its use. It is legal in one country, but is illegal in a lot other where you can buy assault rifles at your local department store.
You mean the natural pain reliever that was readily available in the NHL bubble? Doesn't seem to reduce the use of these other drugs.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

NSAIDS like Toradol and Flexeril are truly amazing at reducing inflammation, and thereby often masking injury. I pulled something in my hip, and I had severe pain to the point I couldn't move my leg without excruciating pain. I took a Flexeril/Tylenol combo in the ER, and the symptoms were gone within the hour.

Most of these NSAIDS have side effects involving the digestive system, and are not in any way meant for long-term use.

It surprises me in no way that abuse of these drugs is common in professional sports. It's a huge problem in the NFL:

https://deadspin.com/the-amount-of-t...###-1793173870

The NFL also commonly administered injections too.

I'd actually be happier with a 70ish game schedule. 82 games is too much. The last 10-20 game are typically spent with band-aid rosters and many star players resting.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post

Thankfully the NHL has removed it from their banned list, but I am guessing we are years away from it's widespread acknowledgement of use.
no effects on health? Wrong

never killed anyone from its use? Wrong

I don't mind the natural stuff, but why do comments like this always have to be at one extreme or the other?

Is it 100 percent healthy? No, but yes it's a lot better than a lot of other legal stuff.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

I don't mind the natural stuff, but why do comments like this always have to be at one extreme or the other?

Is it 100 percent healthy? No, but yes it's a lot better than a lot of other legal stuff.
Can you cite a case where someone has died from smoking pot? I do agree, like anything it must be taken in moderation or it can have negative health consequences. My main gripe with the original post is that marijuana is this miracle drug that cures all pain. It isn't and it doesn't.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #12
Flames2007FIRE IT UP
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Can you cite a case where someone has died from smoking pot? I do agree, like anything it must be taken in moderation or it can have negative health consequences. My main gripe with the original post is that marijuana is this miracle drug that cures all pain. It isn't and it doesn't.
Cannabis and schizophrenia a longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts
Sven Andréasson, Ann Engström, Peter Allebeck, Ulf Rydberg
The Lancet 330 (8574), 1483-1486, 1987

Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case–control study
Sarah Aldington, Matire Harwood, Brian Cox, Mark Weatherall, Lutz Beckert, Anna Hansell, Alison Pritchard, Geoffrey Robinson, Richard Beasley
European Respiratory Journal 31 (2), 280-286, 2008

https://journals.lww.com/cja/Abstrac...lisions.3.aspx

https://oemac.org/ - Please look at the statement on Cannabis and safety sensitive work.
Flames2007FIRE IT UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

CBD oil reduces inflammation. I use it all the time for TMJ, it’s wonderful. Also doubles as an Anti anxiety med. And CBD oil for sure hasn’t killed anyone.

THC doesn’t cure anything. It gets you high, and it’s a great time.

It ain’t penicillin.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #14
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like Kesler is dealing with the same digestive issue that sidelined Georges St.Pierre for a while.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #15
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
NSAIDS like Toradol and Flexeril are truly amazing at reducing inflammation, and thereby often masking injury. I pulled something in my hip, and I had severe pain to the point I couldn't move my leg without excruciating pain. I took a Flexeril/Tylenol combo in the ER, and the symptoms were gone within the hour.

Most of these NSAIDS have side effects involving the digestive system, and are not in any way meant for long-term use.

It surprises me in no way that abuse of these drugs is common in professional sports. It's a huge problem in the NFL:

https://deadspin.com/the-amount-of-t...###-1793173870

The NFL also commonly administered injections too.

I'd actually be happier with a 70ish game schedule. 82 games is too much. The last 10-20 game are typically spent with band-aid rosters and many star players resting.
Haven't read the article yet, but to clarify, yes Toradol (ketorolac) is a NSAID and can be notoriously bad on the GI system. It actually is only supposed to be prescribed for a maximum of 5 days.

Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) is NOT a NSAID; it is a (mediocre) "muscle relaxer"; it can be quite sedating, depending on the person (I say mediocre, but admittedly have used it super sparingly over the years {I'm a clinical pharmacist who hates taking medications unless absolutely truly needed} - once every 4-5 yrs for a bad flare in neck pain with some effect - probably mostly helping with sleep.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Haven't read the article yet, but to clarify, yes Toradol (ketorolac) is a NSAID and can be notoriously bad on the GI system. It actually is only supposed to be prescribed for a maximum of 5 days.

Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) is NOT a NSAID; it is a (mediocre) "muscle relaxer"; it can be quite sedating, depending on the person (I say mediocre, but admittedly have used it super sparingly over the years {I'm a clinical pharmacist who hates taking medications unless absolutely truly needed} - once every 4-5 yrs for a bad flare in neck pain with some effect - probably mostly helping with sleep.
You are correct...

It was also actually Naproxen, not Flexeril, that the doctor's gave me.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #17
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cause I didn't see anybody put it up...here is the doc from TSN.
https://www.tsn.ca/doc-collection/ts...f-pain~2040291
Old 09-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #18
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You are correct...

It was also actually Naproxen, not Flexeril, that the doctor's gave me.
They gave you Naproxen and Toradol together? That's kinda sketch. They're both NSAIDs, and any time the kid has been given Toradol, we have been told not to take any other NSAID during the time she's prescribed the Toradol. She hasn't been on it for any length of time in the past 2 years but it is part of the "cocktail" (morphine/toradol/zofran) when she's been to emerg for EDS issues/trigeminal neuralgia pain and we just get told to give it a few days post-cocktail, before using even Advil.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #19
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe this is the same #### they gave Roy Halliday for his shoulder which got him hooked on painkillers.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #20
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve only had an experience with Torodal once. I was passing a gall stone (unknowingly aware of them), and when first admitted and through the afternoon was given many doses of morphine. I was in the worst pain of my life, where the Morphine only reduced my pain from a 10 to a 6 or a 7. Made me crazy high though. Then after telling the doctor, that the morphine wasn’t doing much for the pain, I got Toradol.

No joke, I actually left the hospital thinking the stones were gone. ZERO pain, no hallucinating.

Haha, I was back a few hours later, and had my GB cut out the next day. Very fortunate too, as they could’ve discharged me, and had to start the process anew.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: