Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #421
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I tried the KFC "Famous" chicken sandwich yesterday for $2- much better than I expected. I have not tried the Popeyes one yet but will soon.
Well, I just made lunch plans tomorrow.

In Lethbridge, Popeye's is right across the street from KFC. Only a few blocks away from me. I'm going to buy a sandwich from both places and compare them.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #422
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
How’s Fritou? Only hand it from the one on 1st after a ‘long’ night so I don’t really recall if it was as delicious as I remember.
Fritou fried chicken used to be the chicken they have in 7-11s with chicken, IIRC they changed away a couple years ago to a different one, but if you've had 7-11 fried chicken it will give you an idea.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #423
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

In Lethbridge, Popeye's is right across the street from KFC. Only a few blocks away from me. I'm going to buy a sandwich from both places and compare them.
might as well head south a couple blocks to Mary Browns and get a big mary too, if you're in the area you might as well do it right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #424
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Fritou fried chicken used to be the chicken they have in 7-11s with chicken, IIRC they changed away a couple years ago to a different one, but if you've had 7-11 fried chicken it will give you an idea.

WHHHHHAATTTTTT????!!! I've had fried chicken in 7-11 for over a decade on any number of drunken, sober nights after hockey or pubs, or just wanting a snack during the day. It has NEVER been more than horrible, cheap reheated tasting chicken. I know what 7-11 chicken is, now I question what Fritou you had.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-22-2020 at 08:02 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:52 AM   #425
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
WHHHHHAATTTTTT????!!! I've had fried chicken in 7-11 for over a decade on any number of drunken, sober nights after hockey or pubs, or just wanting a snack during the day. It has NEVER been more than horrible, cheap reheated tasting chicken. I know what 7-11 chicken is, now I question what Fritou you had.
What are you talking about? I never gave an opinion on the chicken, was just stating until they changed a couple years back, they served Fritou chicken.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #426
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well, if you’ve ever picked up the chicken at the 7/11 in Claresholm, you’d be singing a different tune.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #427
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
What are you talking about? I never gave an opinion on the chicken, was just stating until they changed a couple years back, they served Fritou chicken.
Maybe one specific 7-11 you went to also served Fritou. For example, the one in Vancouver is also a donut place and Chinese restaurant. So maybe one 711 location was also a hybrid.

All 7-11s at no point served Fritou chicken though. Even if they were to attempt that, it would be a name licensing agreement. The process 7&11 uses is different than what's in store. They don't have a full deep fryer and drying racks.

That being said some of the best fried chicken I ever had was at a convenience store in New Orleans. New york convenience stores also often have amazing sandwiches.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #428
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
That being said some of the best fried chicken I ever had was at a convenience store in New Orleans. New york convenience stores also often have amazing sandwiches.

The south just knows how to do chicken. I spent 3 years in South Carolina and even the grocery stores (Publix) have great fried chicken. There are also so many mom and pop shops that do it well too that you just normally don't go to the fast food places for it. (except Bojangles. Their spicy chicken biscuit fillet is perfect for Sunday morning).
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #429
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I swear there was a 7-11 by the Carriage House Inn that used to have Chester Fried Chicken in the 90's. I would go there after an evening at the King's Head and buy way too much chicken and try to eat it on the walk home. I'm sure half of it ended up on the ground. I feel like it was good? I never had it sober.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #430
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

Please follow up. I'm not a big fried chicken guy but a back to back comparison of these sandwiches is strangely compelling to be because of all the hype for the Popeye's one.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #431
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Well, if you’ve ever picked up the chicken at the 7/11 in Claresholm, you’d be singing a different tune.
Yes, this is the only 7-11 I can remember ever buying fried chicken at. It was (is?) Chester's.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #432
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently I had both. I preferred the Popeye's sandwich. I liked the Brioche bun vs the KFC potato bun. I don't know if it was just me, but I also found the Popeyes chicken to be more tender.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #433
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yes, this is the only 7-11 I can remember ever buying fried chicken at. It was (is?) Chester's.
All I know is it was (is?) amazing, and a odd experience. Lines of people, selling most of it as it comes out hot and fresh... at a 7/11
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #434
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
All I know is it was (is?) amazing, and a odd experience. Lines of people, selling most of it as it comes out hot and fresh... at a 7/11
Was. Went there last year and... sadly... they have changed suppliers.

I only ever had the legendary Claresholm 7-11 chicken and potato wedges once. But it held up to the hype. It's now a big disappointment.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #435
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Just had the Popeye's chicken sandwich for lunch based on the hype in this thread. I'm not a chicken sandwich guy normally anyway, but sorry to say this was pretty gross. It took 4 or 5 bites before I was actually eating substantial chicken. Those first few bites were just fried breading on bread. The chicken itself was decent once I got to it, but not something I'd order again. Disappointing.

I've had Popeye's once before and thought it was pretty good, but I think I'll stick to Yum Yum.

Almost ordered from Fritou in Canyon Meadows the other day. Had it before and remember liking it but a couple of recent reviews on Google mentioning fuzzy cheese in the poutine and a hair fried into the chicken turned me off.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #436
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with most here in the KFC version being at least on par with Popeyes, but the best spicy chicken sandwich I've had recently was at Cluck n Cleaver; the motha clucker. Pricey for a fast food style sandwich but damn is it good.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #437
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Popeye's bun is amazing. Overall, it's a very high quality chicken sandwich, but I'm still partial to Chick-Fil-A
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #438
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Please follow up. I'm not a big fried chicken guy but a back to back comparison of these sandwiches is strangely compelling to be because of all the hype for the Popeye's one.
Had left overs that I didn't want to go to waste but tomorrow...
Old 09-23-2020, 11:58 PM   #439
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
might as well head south a couple blocks to Mary Browns and get a big mary too, if you're in the area you might as well do it right.
I've never been a fan of Mary Brown's.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:59 AM   #440
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Maybe one specific 7-11 you went to also served Fritou. For example, the one in Vancouver is also a donut place and Chinese restaurant. So maybe one 711 location was also a hybrid.

All 7-11s at no point served Fritou chicken though. Even if they were to attempt that, it would be a name licensing agreement. The process 7&11 uses is different than what's in store. They don't have a full deep fryer and drying racks.

They literally had the Fritou name and logo on their boxes/buckets for the chicken and multiple locations I went to, including the claseholm, coaldale and one Lethbridge location, as this was before all 7-11s did chicken. Much like they have (or had?) the foster farms logo on the sleeves for their corn dogs.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 09-24-2020 at 07:05 AM.