Laurence Decore is such a putz.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #82
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Not sure I buy that. I have no quotes to back my thoughts here, but what I remember from being around at the time there was no mention of the tornado regarding the slogan. It was all sports success related. As I said, though, just a feeling.
yea I've heard that tornado explanation a bunch of times too and it just doesn't make any sense. it strikes me more as an excuse they made up years later to try and reduce the embarrassment of perpetually naming your city after something that is anything but perpetual.

when everyone was celebrating the 9/11 policemen and firefighters, I do not remember anyone saying "god bless those wonderful Champs!"...that's just a weird word to use. if it were really about the tornado, it would be more like "City of Heroic Emergency Workers". but then again, this is the same city that just came up with "Make Something Edmonton", so I guess anything is possible.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #83
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

also, you'd think that disaster response workers would be the last people who'd want to be honoured with a city slogan. they are heroes, yes, but I always figured they just treated it like their duty and their job.

we might as well change our slogan then to "Calgary - we won't kick your door down and steal your firearms during a flood evacuation."
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #84
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalms04 View Post
The AGA is pretty f'n cool.

Kind of reminds me of the arts center turned into a penitentiary in the Simpsons.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #85
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalms04 View Post
The AGA is pretty f'n cool.

I do like buildings crazy like this, but this one still sucks for so obviously ripping off Frank Gehry's Guggenheim. Not to be confused with the Guggenheim in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gu...lbao-jan05.jpg
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #86
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I do like buildings crazy like this, but this one still sucks for so obviously ripping off Frank Gehry's Guggenheim. Not to be confused with the Guggenheim in NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gu...lbao-jan05.jpg
Considering Randall Stout (guy who designed it) worked with Gehry for like 8 years as a student before going off on his own and has a track record of designing in this style, I suspect no one actually considers it a rip off, unless every building in a style is considered to be ripping off the first one done in that style.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #87
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Considering Randall Stout (guy who designed it) worked with Gehry for like 8 years as a student before going off on his own and has a track record of designing in this style, I suspect no one actually considers it a rip off, unless every building in a style is considered to be ripping off the first one done in that style.
Naw, Edmonton still sucks...
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #88
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
NOTHING to do with it? I'd find it hard to believe that the folks that came up with the slogan weren't even faintly aware of the city's recent run of championships.

It had something to do with it. For sure. I'm thinking that in their minds, it was, "well, if the shoe fits..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Not sure I buy that. I have no quotes to back my thoughts here, but what I remember from being around at the time there was no mention of the tornado regarding the slogan. It was all sports success related. As I said, though, just a feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
yea I've heard that tornado explanation a bunch of times too and it just doesn't make any sense. it strikes me more as an excuse they made up years later to try and reduce the embarrassment of perpetually naming your city after something that is anything but perpetual.

when everyone was celebrating the 9/11 policemen and firefighters, I do not remember anyone saying "god bless those wonderful Champs!"...that's just a weird word to use. if it were really about the tornado, it would be more like "City of Heroic Emergency Workers". but then again, this is the same city that just came up with "Make Something Edmonton", so I guess anything is possible.
It was a phrase that Mayor Laurence Decore used at the time and people liked it so much that they adopted it as the city's slogan. Perhaps the citizens of Edmonton liked the phrase because their city was in the midst of a bunch of sport success as well that decade, but it was the Tornado and the Mayor's subsequent comments about it that were the source of the slogan.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/04/black-friday/

(edit...)

Huh... turns out the City of Champs phrase was first used by a couple of council members in 1983 in order to attempt to promote the city (Research paper).

Interestingly enough, the Oilers didn't win their first cup until the 83/84 season, which would suggest that YES, the success the Coilers had from 83-87 likely played a big part in adopting an old promotional phrase as the city's official slogan. But no one can deny that it was the Tornado of 87, and the mayor's subsequent use of the phrase, that sparked it being adopted as the slogan.

Last edited by SeeGeeWhy; 09-09-2013 at 09:58 AM.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote