Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #1161
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
OSX is now macOS

iOS 10 (shocking)

Cmon, I wanna see the new Macbook Pros!

Or (I know in my wildest dreams) a desktop between a Mac mini and a Mac Pro that isn't an all-in-one.
WWDC isn't typically a hardware thing. It's happened, but I don't think anything was expected for this one.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #1162
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

iMessage for teenagers? Seems like so much bloatware into a simple messaging app.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #1163
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a huge update. Apple pay on the web, Home, Photos enhancements, proximity login, Siri improvements, Music actually makes sense again, Lock screen widgets. So much of this I will use right away. Can't wait to see what developers come out with with all the extensions to built in apps.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #1164
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of meh in that pretentation. WatchOS looks much improved, and notifications needed a makeover. These companies have no idea where to take their UI's... Not that I have any idea either. Home app is four years late, but well thought out from what it looks.

It all just feels stale and safe, and thus, boring.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #1165
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Interesting. I went the other way with it. I was very impressed with the announcements.

My highlights

- Watch looks far more usable and fast
- Not having to authenticate everything on Apple TV
- Universal clipboard
- Storage management using the cloud
- siri on the mac
- Siri open to developers is HUGE
- "show more" on the widgets instead of opening the app
- Photos automatically making vacation videos
- Maps design update is really nice
- smart zooming in and out on maps
- music looks much less confusing
- lyrics in music
- routing voip messaging through the phone interface
- live preview of urls in messages
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #1166
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/06/13/it...le-stock-apps/
Quote:
It’s official, iOS 10 lets you uninstall Apple stock apps
Quote:
This news was not announced during Apple’s keynote session, likely because organizers feared the deafening cheers would be embarrassing. Instead, the news was revealed by the fact that all the major stock apps are now available in the App Store with descriptions and screenshots.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #1167
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm interested in giving this a try but my iPhone, iPad and Macbook are daily drivers and last year the first beta was terrible for bugs so I think I'll hold off for a few weeks.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #1168
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of wish they would allow easier rollback to previous app versions. That probably isn't ever going to happen though.

I don't even mind the stock Apple apps. They are not the level of bloatware you find on some devices, and are at least not running in the background and require rooting to stop.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:33 PM   #1169
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Switched to the Note 4 and never looked back. I've always thought that I would come back to iPhone at some point but it's never been a compelling case. The monster stats upcoming for the Note 7 and the blockbuster hit that the S7 has been actually have surprised me. More confused than ever.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #1170
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Switched to the Note 4 and never looked back. I've always thought that I would come back to iPhone at some point but it's never been a compelling case. The monster stats upcoming for the Note 7 and the blockbuster hit that the S7 has been actually have surprised me. More confused than ever.
Cool story.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #1171
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I'm interested in giving this a try but my iPhone, iPad and Macbook are daily drivers and last year the first beta was terrible for bugs so I think I'll hold off for a few weeks.
Tried this on my iPhone and iPad, lots of great features I love but bluetooth audio was skipping on my phone, wasn't on my iPad but was on the phone. I rolled back the phone but keeping the iPad there.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #1172
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

looking to upgrade my older imac....suggestions please.

Mac mechanic in Calgary or is this an easy dyi

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.21f4
Serial Number (system): W87336H7X89
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B639BE9C2

TIA

Last edited by EVERLAST; 06-19-2016 at 09:20 AM.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #1173
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
looking to upgrade my older imac....suggestions please.

Mac mechanic in Calgary or is this an easy dyi

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:iMac
Model Identifier:iMac7,1
Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors:1
Total Number Of Cores:2
L2 Cache:4 MB
Memory:4 GB
Bus Speed:800 MHz
Boot ROM Version:IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system):1.21f4
Serial Number (system):W87336H7X89
Hardware UUID:00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B639BE9C2

TIA

Go online to OWC and see what RAM upgrades you can get. I bumped my Mac mini from 4 GB to 8 and it made a world of difference. Did it myself using their videos and tools that came along with the RAM.

Splurge and get an SSD too!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #1174
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
I agree 100%.

The best performance increase you will see will come from an SSD, moving to 8gb Ram would be my next move after that but I would focus on the SSD
Old 06-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #1175
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The downside of SSD is once you have one, you're never able to go back. When it came time to buy my new iMac a few years back, I think I ended up blowing through the budget by a few hundred dollars simply because the SSD was a non-negotiable factor.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #1176
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been playing with the iOS 10 beta on an iPhone 5s. Not really crazy about it. Anyone else giving it a test drive? I am finding the Touch ID to unlock the phone is less smooth, and not a lot of cosmetic changes that I can see. I am a little underwhelmed. Maybe other people have found some useful features. Only other thing I have noticed is the ability to delete most of the stock apps, which I have tucked away in a folder anyway. A few additions to the lockscreen, and the camera is a bit easier to get to without the awkward upwards swipe from the corner.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #1177
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been using it since the first beta. Much more polished imo and the additions like where I parked my car, email auto folders and the contacts auto fill all get used daily by me. My wife loves the new text message features (which were available from other apps but whatever).

For Touch ID go into accessibility options and ensure touch to unlock is on as it defaults to off and imo performs better with the feature on.

I do however think the old Notification Center was better as was the old panel on the bottom. Why they thought making the buttons bigger and making it two pages is beyond me.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #1178
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the touch to unlock worked faster before. It generally caught my fingerprint quite quickly, now I am just getting used to it taking a bit longer to recognize my fingerprint before I lift my finger off the home button.

I did finally get the photo memories working. It is pretty nice how it organized the photos.

I am hoping they make some improvements to the Find my Friends app. My wife and o use that quite a bit while we are out travelling and it would be really nice if that were more responsive to current location.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #1179
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Touch ID sensor likely isn't any slower than it used to be, but the way you unlock your phone in iOS 10 is different. Play with the home button toggle in accessibility settings.

iOS 10 is actually a great update. The home app is finally a platform for homekit accessories to work together, and the notification centre is actually useful now.

The real advantage to iOS 10 will be third party app support for Siri, none of the apps support it yet.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #1180
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Figured in the spirit of the iPhone 7 announcement I would bump this today.

This will be my make or break day for Apple products. If they ditch the headphone jack, they ditch me as a customer. I've already junked a ton of peripherals from the iPhone 3-4 days because of the 16 pin to lighting jack upgrade, as most of them were wobbly or useless with an adaptor. I've already had to replace every cable and connector to lightning. Now I have to ditch my headphones for some crappy proprietary Apple connector? Ain't gonna happen.

The other stuff I could live with, but I have a few hundred dollars in headphones that aren't gonna go to the waste pile because they want to sell me more adaptors and connectors. And what if I wanna charge my phone while I'm listening to music? Oh, yeah, I'm sure you'll need another proprietary adaptor as well. And I will not use bluetooth headphones. I've yet to hear a pair loud ebnough, or with good enough quality to warrant the price.

It also makes me realize what an incredibly wasteful, environmentally harmful company Apple is. All of these cables, adaptors and peripherals customers have are likely sent to the waste bin every 3-4 years. I think it's finally time to look at other products should this headphone jack rumour be true. And to be honest, the rock solid Apple reliability is not there anymore. My current iPhone6 is on it's 3rd Applecare replacement, and my current Macbook Retina is a giant POS. I think the effect of Jobs OCD like quality control is really starting to become more and more apparant.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: