Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #61
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Hamonic but I'm in the camp that not everyone needs to be on these long term deals. And I don't see him as a guy you need to lock up for 5 years +. If it costs a little more in the short term, then so be it. You need a mix of term on your club IMO.

I like reading about the Treliving debate too. Some think he's a wizard, some preach stability, some focus on results.

I am middle of the road. Was kind of hoping he was new breed GM, that with increased focus on analytics we'd see more value signings and finding hidden gems. To date it's a mixed bag IMO. Seem to be a doing a good job drafting but a lot of old school team building too. Trading picks and prospects for players, signing veteran UFA's to long term deals.

Hopefully the team is really as good as they showed during the regular season.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #62
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I like it.
Brodie to the Maple Leaves.
Hello Nazem Kadri?
Man enough with the god dam Kadri crap. He’s not coming here and why would anyone want him at this point.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #63
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Man enough with the god dam Kadri crap. He’s not coming here and why would anyone want him at this point.
I suspect posters are keen to add Kadri because he is a very good hockey player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #64
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

IMO it's tough to judge Tre because he's reflecting an organizational imperative of moving picks for warm bodies that predates his tenure by about 3 GMs.

However, even by the standards of his predecessors, he's been awful for moving picks.

The flames have made just 1 pick in the first 3 rounds of the draft in the last two drafts combined.

1 playoff game win over that span.

That's abysmal.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #65
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I suspect posters are keen to add Kadri because he is a very good hockey player.
I just really want to see a Tkachuk - Kadri - Bennett "Total butthole" line
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #66
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
IMO it's tough to judge Tre because he's reflecting an organizational imperative of moving picks for warm bodies that predates his tenure by about 3 GMs.

However, even by the standards of his predecessors, he's been awful for moving picks.

The flames have made just 1 pick in the first 3 rounds of the draft in the last two drafts combined.

That's abysmal.
I'm have a positive opinion of Treliving overall but this aspect is definitely not what I'd prefer. Especially since the hit rate on our picks has been pretty high since Brad took over. Would be nice to give the scouts a few more bullets in the chamber.

That being said, he did trade those picks for young players and sign those players to discount contracts. I suppose it's arguable whether these were the best young players to get based on playoff success.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #67
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The two things I feel pretty confident about when it comes to Brad Treliving are:

1) He doesn't value draft picks as highly as I would
2) He is fantastic at maneuvering under the cap when it comes to extensions and contracts

Oddly, Hamonic can embody both of these things in different ways; let's hope that #2 comes into play here and we get a good deal from Hammer. And honestly, by all accounts he likes being here and wants to stay here. I think this thing gets done under $5m per, and he might be able to get him to sign a 4-year (but I assume 5).

So my bet is 5 years, 4.65 mil.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #68
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

That's abysmal.
That's a pretty narrow window, and an arguably dubious way of judging results. The Buffalo Sabres have drafted 28 players in the first three rounds over the course of the last seven drafts. They have not once qualified for the playoffs in that timeframe, and have not managed more than 81-points in a season.

Despite having only one selection in the first three rounds in 2017–18, the Flames have also graduated six of their own drafted players in the same two years; their top-four scoring forwards range in age from 21–25-years-old, and there will be at least three defensemen on the starting roster next year under 23-years-old. Relatively speaking, the paucity of high picks in the recent past does not seem especially terrible.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #69
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic is a guy you win a championship with, having said that, after his current contract, he will be past his prime. You can't handcuff yourself to a long term contract on "post apex" players.

I'd be willing to give him a 3 year term max and no more than $4 million AAV. Ideally, he takes the Michael Stone contract.

The only reason I even make this offer is because the Flames are a bit weak on the right side defence but that could change by seasons end depending on how Yelesin adjusts to North America.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #70
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A very good hockey player ? I would say an above average one. With multiple big suspensions in critical times of the year. Where he also doesn’t show up for big games when is he is active. And not to mention he’s a coward who won’t fight when he is challenged. Yep let’s trade for this guy ! Great idea
Old 06-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #71
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I just really want to see a Tkachuk - Kadri - Bennett "Total butthole" line
Kadri has been suspended from seven of the Leafs’ past possible 14 playoff games. Back to back years, no less. I am a Leafs fan and I can't stand looking at him.

If Kadri gets traded to the Flames, it will be interesting to see the boards light up with posts about what a jerk he is, how he lost the team games, etc. It's not just that he's dangerous and gets stupid suspensions- it's that he likes doing it and loves to be hated. Dirty players like him and Marchand have no place in hockey IMO.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #72
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

This makes way more sense than the trade rumours.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #73
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
A very good hockey player ? I would say an above average one. With multiple big suspensions in critical times of the year. Where he also doesn’t show up for big games when is he is active. And not to mention he’s a coward who won’t fight when he is challenged. Yep let’s trade for this guy ! Great idea
No to mention the throat slash gesture to Gio.

Immature guy whose actions indicate fulfilling his tantrums is more important than needs of the team.

Seems like a gem.

Great locker room add
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
A very good hockey player ? I would say an above average one...
He is the #5 highest scoring forward from his draft class. You are splitting hairs.

Quote:
With multiple big suspensions in critical times of the year...
Yeah, I am not especially fond of Nazeem Kadri, and the dumb suspensions is the reason why. But even behind the veneer of my own antipathy I can see that he is a really effective player who helps his team win.

Quote:
Where he also doesn’t show up for big games when is he is active...
I am not sure this is meaningful, and am even more convinced that it is not a defining quality.

Quote:
And not to mention he’s a coward who won’t fight when he is challenged. Yep let’s trade for this guy ! Great idea

I don't care. If he improves the team then I have no complaints.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-13-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #75
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri isn't my favorite player...if he wasn't on the Leafs I doubt he would be so hated around here. Brodie for Kadri swap improves the Flames though. Kadri got suspended...he laid out a guy protecting a teammate, not the worst thing in the world IMO.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #76
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

EDIT:

Last edited by chemgear; 06-13-2019 at 11:45 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #77
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

My beef isn't with possibly picking up Kadri, its with people who think we'll somehow keep Bennett in the fold at the same time.

Also this is the Hamonic thread. That bugs me too.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #78
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

EDIT:

Yeah, Kadri is an #######. An ####### who can also play hockey damn well.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Kadri is an #######. An ####### who can also play hockey damn well.
So a really good player with some edge to his game? Who needs that?

Oh yeah. We do.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #80
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You just described Matthew Tkachuk more or less.

Kadri does some boneheaded things, there is no doubt about it, but I would say his talent, grit, 200 foot game and passion for the game out weigh the negatives.

To bring this back on topic, I think Hamonic is a glue guy, and a steady hockey player. I would go 4 years at $4.5m as my max.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote