Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #321
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
Stamkos plays on the Leafs? Must've missed that one
Brains, sometimes they fart.

Matthews*
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #322
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Another middle of the road lacklustre point producer isn't going to do it.

I like Turris as a player but he's going to be 30 to start the season and his 4 years removed from scoring 60 points.

The team doesn't need another Backlund, having Backlund as the #2 guy is the whole problem.

The flames need a 75+ point centre. Spending assets on anything less is just wasting assets at this point.
The problem isn't with Backlund, it's with having a butter soft Monahan as our primary option. The Flames need another centre that plays a hard, well rounded 200 foot game more than a 75 + point guy.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #323
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Sure is a shame that Treliving didn't get off his wallet when O'Reilly was made available last off season by an eastern team who preferred to put O'Reilly out in the west somewhere. Would have came with the added bonus of not singing Neal too, because with ROR's cap hit added that wouldn't have been an option.
Calgary didn't have the assets after pissing away picks the last 3 years.

St. Louis has drafted in the first 2 rounds 7 times in the last 3 drafts.

The Flames have drafted in the first 2 rounds 4 times in the last 3 drafts.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #324
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The problem isn't with Backlund, it's with having a butter soft Monahan as our primary option. The Flames need another centre that plays a hard, well rounded 200 foot game more than a 75 + point guy.
let me put it this way:

David Krejci had 6 more assists than backlund had POINTS this season.

The last time Brayden Schenn had 47 points was 4 years ago.

Those are the 2 second line centres in the final right now.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 PM   #325
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

From the Athletic today.
Quote:
T.J. Brodie, Calgary Flames – The belief from teams outside of Calgary is that GM Brad Treliving would move one of his defensemen in an attempt to provide salary cap flexibility, along with providing opportunity for some of the young defensemen coming up in the system. The almost 29-year-old Brodie has one year left on his deal that averages $4.65 million per season before hitting unrestricted free agency, so now might be the best time to move. “I think Brad is going to move one of the two (Brodie or Travis Hamonic),” said one executive. “He needs space.”
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 PM   #326
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Has anyone done anything like this lately?

I’d be curious to see where the Flames are compared to other teams, and even deeper line by line

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/a-closer-l...-nhl-1.1155330

It is from ahead of 2018-19.

I know that the Flames obviously have a lot of contracts that turned out great.
Johnny, Monahan, Lindholm, and Tkachuk were obviously steals (Tkachuk due to ELC, Lindholm due to breakout, the others due to shrewd GM signings).

On D, Gio played above his contract.
Brodie and Hamonic were both great value for money.

Backlund is on a very solid contract and although he had a tough playoffs, this year he had 47 points and was +34. That’s no slouch

Even guys that people rag on, like Frolik - >.5 points per game and +24. The guy clearly delivered, and the controversy in my mind was justified - Neal was gifted top 9 time and sucked. Hard. Frolik was benched to make room. WTF? Agent was right to rep his client. Good 200 foot player that outscored a guy paid more to be a sniper. Value for money. Frankly it is stupid that people rag on Frolik for this. Why be a wallflower? They should celebrate that Frolik’s agent is confident enough that he is better than Neal to speak up and say wtf?

Great contracts and great regular season results. First overall.

So what do people expect when Brodie/Hamonic and Frolik ‘have to go’?

I get that Tkachuk needs paying, and still all of these guys delivered very solid value for the contracts.

They have paid Hanifin for future performance at 4.95. Does he seem ready to cslot in to Brodie’s role with Gio?

On D, looking at the Flames, they have 3 guys with one year left:
Brodie 4.65
Hamonic 3.86
Stone 3.5.

I get the idea of making cap space, leveraging assets, and giving room for guys with promise to grow.. but if Tre is a wizard, he gets rid of bad contracts, not good ones. Detroit also was a place that was competitive for years because they were so good that guys who looked ready were stuck in the queue for a while.

I’m not sure how to look at this rumour mongering conversation
- this team was first in the West
- they have high performing guys on bargain contracts, but they are up next year
- both are basically in their prime years and seem like the type to sign hometown discounts
- they really need to dump one
- Stone 3.5 - dead cap space.
- Neal 5.75 - dead cap space

Yes, Brodie and Hamonic both have value, but if Tre is a wizard he gets value for as many dollars as he spends rather than accepting dead weight and throwing away value.

You have cost certainty for these guys next year. I dunno. I don’t see the urgency on finishing first in the West and bailing on 1 or 2 of your top 4 D.

Yeah the young guys show promise but gifting guys tokes causes trouble. * reference James Neal

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 06-05-2019 at 11:58 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: