Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #341
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i believe that francis lives down in the deep south se; south of stoney.

i am guessing he is having the NWW pres on because it seems like he has been the most vocal in the past few days; although I believe one of the presidents from mcknight or the saints posted something about not liking a certain color scheme - which to me suggested that he was totally against any changes.

i get it, it is tough to have kids moved midway thru their hockey career. Meanwhile guys spend lots of time volunteering to be coaches, or try and put programs in place to make their association better.

will be interesting to see what HC's final plan is, and when it will be effective and if there is any appeal or if it is a done deal.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #342
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Francis is part of the NWW. I've done evaluations with him and his kid was placed on the same team as my kid last year but he filed an appeal because he thought his kid was better than us and had him moved up.

The Saints have posted a very good letter that they sent to Hockey Calgary regarding realignment last week. According to them there are 8 associations who do not want Hockey Calgary to make a change for next year and believe the Hockey Calgary is taking the wrong approach right now and even potentially overstepping their authority.

calgarysaints.ca/news.php?news_id=1771637&lang=

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 03-18-2019 at 07:52 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #343
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It almost always boils down to ice and ice availability. Those associations with access to their own facilities (NWW is a good example) are loath to change as they fear losing access to their ice. Those associations with very little ice of their own (Bow River is a good example of an association with almost no ice of their own and rely hugely on the City pool) always seem keen on expansion as there is always the impression there will be access to more ice. Both groups are wrong in my opinion.

Keep in mind when they do make any changes typically (not always) older kids are grandfathered and families may be given the choice to keep those kids where they are or move them. Younger kids (PW and younger in my experience) are the ones who will be moved. So the argument that you will split up kids who have played with each other for years and years is really not valid wither in my opinion.

Realignment is an emotional issue for almost everyone involved. Unfortunately with the way it works (Hockey Calgary needing to keep things tight hole) it also lends itself to all kinds of rumors and speculation which does not help.

We went through two of these in during my kids time in minor hockey and managed to survive. It's ironic to hear some of the comments about NWW and how kids will be split up after all these years together. The association is only 8 years old or something like that, it didn't even exist when my kids started playing. The original two associations before the merger (Westwood and Crowchild) also made the same arguments then as they are making now.

Honestly at the end of the day it isn't going to make a huge difference.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #344
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Francis is part of the NWW. I've done evaluations with him and his kid was placed on the same team as my kid last year but he filed an appeal because he thought his kid was better than us and had him moved up.

The Saints have posted a very good letter that they sent to Hockey Calgary regarding realignment last week. According to them there are 8 associations who do not want Hockey Calgary to make a change for next year and believe the Hockey Calgary is taking the wrong approach right now and even potentially overstepping their authority.

calgarysaints.ca/news.php?news_id=1771637&lang=
Not surprised Francis would do this he’s been doing this his whole writing career. I filed an appeal once myself. Glad it didn’t go through, my son would have been put on a really bad team and would have been set back a couple of years as far as developement.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #345
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It almost always boils down to ice and ice availability. Those associations with access to their own facilities (NWW is a good example) are loath to change as they fear losing access to their ice. Those associations with very little ice of their own (Bow River is a good example of an association with almost no ice of their own and rely hugely on the City pool) always seem keen on expansion as there is always the impression there will be access to more ice. Both groups are wrong in my opinion.

Keep in mind when they do make any changes typically (not always) older kids are grandfathered and families may be given the choice to keep those kids where they are or move them. Younger kids (PW and younger in my experience) are the ones who will be moved. So the argument that you will split up kids who have played with each other for years and years is really not valid wither in my opinion.

Realignment is an emotional issue for almost everyone involved. Unfortunately with the way it works (Hockey Calgary needing to keep things tight hole) it also lends itself to all kinds of rumors and speculation which does not help.

We went through two of these in during my kids time in minor hockey and managed to survive. It's ironic to hear some of the comments about NWW and how kids will be split up after all these years together. The association is only 8 years old or something like that, it didn't even exist when my kids started playing. The original two associations before the merger (Westwood and Crowchild) also made the same arguments then as they are making now.

I agree, change is hard but 3 years from now the NWW novice kid or the Saints novice kid is not going to care that he/she is a whatever now. It is still hockey. My kid could be moving and yes he will be upset but he has also said he will not quit hockey over this. At the end of the day it is still hockey with but now with a different logo. Consider it a hockey trade.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #346
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

Surprisingly, based on the Saints letter, Bow River is one of the 8 associations that want Hockey Calgary to continue with the status quo for next year.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #347
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bow Valley was one of the 8, not Bow River. The NWW letter indicates Bow River is pushing for change.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #348
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
Bow Valley was one of the 8, not Bow River. The NWW letter indicates Bow River is pushing for change.
Right, I read that wrong. I usually just assume Bow River as we are in the North and I see them on the schedule all the time. I never see Bow Valley.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #349
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone watching the OHL Cup final?

Pretty sure they are playing prison rules. This is savage!!!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #350
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decision made...

https://twitter.com/hockeycalgary/st...592089600?s=19
Old 03-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #351
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I wonder what the actual new Bow River/NWW/Crowfoot associations will look like. They are going from 3 to 2 so likely an east/west split maybe around Shaganappi Trail or something. Essentially going backwards to Crowchild (although now Bow River/Bowness and Crowfoot will be included) and Westwood.

Realistically, I think that NWW should have adopted Crowfoot and Bow River should have joined Springbank. That would have worked much better in my opinion. The logistics of merging three associations with different boards and levels of funding into two entirely new associations is going to be hell. I would assume that taking two associations (Crowfoot and Bow River in this case) and merging them into existing associations would be more straightforward.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 03-18-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #352
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/page/index/id/545/ for more details

Old 03-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #353
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Well we bit the bullet there as BV only lost Douglasdale. Which really sucks as one of my son’s friends will be going to Blackfoot.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #354
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Be interesting in the response to this from the Saints and Warriors.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #355
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently the merge of Mavericks and Bonavista makes it the largest association in the City. According to the presentation slides.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #356
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I missing something here as you did the same thing as Francis did - filed an appeal, but his appeal was successful while yours was not. And then you end it by saying the team was bad, so it was good that your appeal was not approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
Not surprised Francis would do this he’s been doing this his whole writing career. I filed an appeal once myself. Glad it didn’t go through, my son would have been put on a really bad team and would have been set back a couple of years as far as developement.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #357
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Am I missing something here as you did the same thing as Francis did - filed an appeal, but his appeal was successful while yours was not. And then you end it by saying the team was bad, so it was good that your appeal was not approved.
You did miss something. The team my son ended up on was far superior over the higher div team ( team/div I thought he should be in). They even played each other once and my son’s team easily won.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #358
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This seems like a good result for the Warriors. Given that Crowfoot wanted to be amalgamated I would assume going forward the two associations will be Bow River and NWW.

I feel for the kids (and families) being moved. I was certain we were being moved but ended up lucky.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #359
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
This seems like a good result for the Warriors. Given that Crowfoot wanted to be amalgamated I would assume going forward the two associations will be Bow River and NWW.

I feel for the kids (and families) being moved. I was certain we were being moved but ended up lucky.
Who knows for sure, but that would be my guess. Ironic too as Bow River lost several communities to Crowfoot in the the last realignment, now I suspect they may come back depending on how the amalgamation is done. Calgarygeologist is probably right, an E/W split makes sense but I would put the boundary closer to Nose Hill Drive than Shaganappi. That would help with ice allocation too.

I am a little surprised to see them reduce the overall number of associations from 14 to 11 but listening to the president of Hockey Calgary this morning on the radio it was logical when he explained the rationale.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #360
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It will be good for all minor hockey in Calgary. Hard for the families that have to relocated associations, but the kids will adapt (probably easier then the parents).
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote