Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Asus vs Samsung - Help me pick a laptop!

I need help choosing between 2 laptops.

Other than surfing, the primary focus will be messing with graphics on Photoshop and Illustrator (CS5). I do not game, and I don't download music or movies much either.

I had initially been focusing my search on Samsung, as that's what I currently have. It's lasted 3 years, and I like it.

I've found 2 computers, with almost identical specs, but the Asus costs $250 less than the Samsung. (after M.E's price match)

Samsung:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42214

Asus:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX43301

Do either of those brands stick out as a clear winner or do I go with the wildcard Lenovo Y500 I found just this morning? http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...SID=rfdcb-d723

Or, do any of you have another suggestion?

Budget is around $1000. I want a pc, not a Mac. I don't care much about anything else, as long as it works well with PS and AI, and is faster than my current model, which I doubt will be a problem.

Any suggestions?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Lenovo is the clear winner in this bunch, if for no other reason than it's cheaper and has a far better video card than the other two.

I'm a big fan of the y-series, pop in an aftermarket micro SSD and they fly.

Also, that Samsung only has a 1600x900 screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't comment on any of the choices in terms of the technical aspects, but I bought a Lenovo after asking CP a few years ago, and have been really happy with it.
They shipped quickly too.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Go with the laptop that best allows you to pop in an SSD.

That's fundamentally the most important factor for me for any laptop now. If any of those allow you to have two drives or even to replace the optical drive with an additional HDD bay, then I would run an SSD + mechanical HDD.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do you need a laptop right away? This is the worst time to buy a laptop as Intel is about to release their latest chip which will improve laptops and tablets a lot. And I mean a substantial improvement...much more than the difference between Sandy and Ivy bridge chips.

SSD is a laptop, or any PC, is a must.

That Lenovo looks great! but keep in mind that it is considered a gaming laptop. Laptops with really powerful video cards in them will chew up battery a lot more than one with intel onboard graphics...which doesn't matter if you don't plan to use it unplugged that often. It also does not have a touch screen...which you may not care about...but is pretty nice when using Windows 8.

ASUS is a favorite brand of mine. Still have an 8 year old ASUS laptop that works flawlessly (except the crappy 6 cell battery...6 cell batteries suck!!!!). The ASUS Vivobooks are pretty nice. They are thin and powerful, have a touch screen but the resolution is pretty pathetic. The ASUS you picked out is really nice and would be my recommendation of the three but only because I am not familiar with Samsung laptops at all.

Not sure if I helped at all.

Last edited by J Diddy; 05-31-2013 at 01:30 PM.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
That Lenovo looks great! but keep in mind that it is considered a gaming laptop. Laptops with really powerful video cards in them will chew up battery a lot more than one with intel onboard graphics...which doesn't matter if you don't plan to use it unplugged that often. It also does not have a touch screen...which you may not care about...but is pretty nice when using Windows 8.
Modern gaming laptops have a controller that will swap between Intel onboard and the dedicated card when needed. It wont use up more battery unless you are playing games.

And just as a side note, notebookreview.com and laptopmag.com have pegged Lenovo the #2 laptop brand for 3 years running, only behind Apple (so, #1 PC brand). They've really stepped up their game with aggressive pricing and feature sets.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-31-2013 at 02:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A better price, but it is refurbished and 14 inch. I was hoping CP could give me their opinion on this laptop, as i'm interested in it myself

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...oeqd3f88iBlH5Q
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothpops For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
A better price, but it is refurbished and 14 inch. I was hoping CP could give me their opinion on this laptop, as i'm interested in it myself

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...oeqd3f88iBlH5Q
Good if you don't want to play games at all (no dedicated video card) and the resolution is meh (1366x768). Okay price, high build quality.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

ya, I'm not a gamer at all. I do watch a lot of 720p movies/tv shows and do some light photoshop editing. Should i just keep waiting for the back to school specials/new intel chip release? I do prefer 11.6" displays, i just thought this price/spec combo would last me a looong time.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I currently use a Lenovo Y470p. The power to price ratio is amazing, and it is a 14 inch screen.

Unfortunately, I am finding the build quality worse than my last 2 cheap Acers. I am mailing it in for repairs now for 20+ dead pixels, broken left speaker, broken hinge, fast battery drain, and as of yesterday I can smell something burning when the fan is running.

So, I am about to go by a HDD to backup my stuff and ship it out. I would stay away from Lenovo's cheaper line of ideapads, but I still hear their business level stuff is top notch (they seem separate, even having different phone numbers and departments for each model type).
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
ya, I'm not a gamer at all. I do watch a lot of 720p movies/tv shows and do some light photoshop editing. Should i just keep waiting for the back to school specials/new intel chip release? I do prefer 11.6" displays, i just thought this price/spec combo would last me a looong time.
It probably would (unless it needs to be repaired again, being a refurb), but PS isn't very efficient on monitors smaller than 1600x900 or 1920x1080.

To be fair however, finding anything larger than 1366x768 on an 11.5" is pretty hard.

On second thought, for what you're using it for that is a pretty fair deal, esp since it has a 3632QM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I currently use a Lenovo Y470p. The power to price ratio is amazing, and it is a 14 inch screen.

Unfortunately, I am finding the build quality worse than my last 2 cheap Acers. I am mailing it in for repairs now for 20+ dead pixels, broken left speaker, broken hinge, fast battery drain, and as of yesterday I can smell something burning when the fan is running.

So, I am about to go by a HDD to backup my stuff and ship it out. I would stay away from Lenovo's cheaper line of ideapads, but I still hear their business level stuff is top notch (they seem separate, even having different phone numbers and departments for each model type).
I've heard people have issues with the 4xx y-series, but as an owner of a 5xx (y580) it's accompanied me on many trips (even overseas) and is still kicking perfectly. Shame to hear about yours conking out however.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=PsYcNeT;4266961]It probably would (unless it needs to be repaired again, being a refurb), but PS isn't very efficient on monitors smaller than 1600x900 or 1920x1080.

To be fair however, finding anything larger than 1366x768 on an 11.5" is pretty hard.

On second thought, for what you're using it for that is a pretty fair deal, esp since it has a 3632QM.

Awesome, thanks for quick and helpful replies!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It probably would (unless it needs to be repaired again, being a refurb), but PS isn't very efficient on monitors smaller than 1600x900 or 1920x1080.

I've heard people have issues with the 4xx y-series, but as an owner of a 5xx (y580) it's accompanied me on many trips (even overseas) and is still kicking perfectly. Shame to hear about yours conking out however.
Yeah, I've had a y570 for two years which gets tossed in a bag to and from school 5 days a week, and it's still in great shape.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #14
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haswell comes out June 3 and Computex is June 6. At least wait until then to see what might be worth waiting for. Either way new products mean the price for what's out now comes down.

Here's hoping for some stuff that improves on the Asus Transformer Book that just hit the shelves in the US. With haswell we're gonna have some pretty awesome laptop/tablet combos with lots of power, lightweight and 10 hr + battery life.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Y580 that I stuck an SSD in and this thing is amazing. Only think with Lenovo is I have heard their customer service is the balls. If you want to buy one, get it through mem express or some other place so if you have problems, you can go through them. Also, if you order from Lenovo, they will have to manufacture your Laptop and it will take a couple of weeks likely.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big thanks for all the help.
I ended up going with the Asus. The Lenovo wouldn't ship until June 10th and I really couldn't wait that long.
I haven't put it through a vigorous test, but from the quick PS and surfing tests, it is wicked. No room for ssd unless I replace the optical drive (I honestly have no idea how that works, but will be looking into it soon, if I decide to keep this)

The biggest negative is the metal feel. It gives me the shivers. My last laptop had a plastic track pad and case, and this is actually a huge change for me.

Anywho...thanks for all the advice!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/com...9999-save-150/

If you have price protection, the 15.6" asus is down to $599