Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Another "Help Me Configure My Laptop Thread" (Macbook Air)

So I'm planning on purchasing a new Macbook Air and was hoping for some collective CP insight.

The biggest issue I'm having is deciding if I should go with the 8gb of ram or 4. Normally I'm a big proponent of "buy the biggest engine available", but I'm not sure in this case. The problem I have is that the 8gb isn't a stock option, so I would have to have it shipped from Apple. Due to timeline and a number of other constraints, shipping isn't a really good option for me. I understand that the ram cannot be upgraded.

Planned usage:
- basic websurfing/netflix/email
- backing up photos while travelling or to take along in the camera bag
- second computer - I've got an MBP for everyday use and for heavier applications, but I travel a lot for work and vacations, and would like something that is easy to cart around and use on an airplane, and leave the MBP at home.
- My most intensive app is likely to be Adobe Lightroom.
- If it matters, I'll be going with the i5 chip and 256 SSD.

I'm leaning towards the 4gb just for ease of purchase, but will I regret it shortly after? Or would the 4gb be plenty for what I'm using it for for a few years?

Also, any opinions on the 11" vs 13"? I'm leaning towards the 11 for portability's sake, but the 13 has a larger battery capacity. Will the 13" be unusable on an airplane snack tray?

Thanks in advance.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly, just myself, i'd put the 8gb in and pay for express shipping if I needed it faster. If this was really not possible, I mean the 4gb model will be fine for most day-to-day usage you have described (especially since you have a powerhouse computer) but I always just prefer upgrading the RAM when its a minimal cost and not user upgradeable.

Especially now that the battery life was so high, and RAM is not upgradable, this is a machine you could be using for a long time.

I have had both the 11 and 13- the size of the 11 is awesome IMO.

The 13" is a great computer too- but I just loved the 11" Air. Portability defined. The higher then normal resolution for an 11" make up for the lack of screen size. If you really need the extra few hours battery and the SD card slot the 13" is a great computer too.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I agree with silentsim, but I'll offer an alternate opinion. I have a 2 year old 11" with 4 gigs and it feels about as fast as the day I bought it. I use lightroom/aperture and experience very little slowdown. If I was buying a new one today and money was a factor, I'd stick with 4.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'd go with the most possible RAM as well, I did that for my 13" MBP, it's highly annoying that no retailers including the Apple store seem to carry 8GB models (though they told me they did, to come buy it, I drove across town, no laptop).

Even if you don't totally need it, it's cheap future proofing and helps resale value as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

OS X 10.9 is going to include memory compression, which will help stretch out that 4 GB of RAM and help prevent the machine from bogging down when memory gets tight.

I'd always go for 8 GB, but time is tight and your use case is well defined - 4 GB should suffice.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

The ultra-fast PCIe SSD in the new Airs will go a long way towards mitigating the effect of swapping slowdowns, so you're probably fine with 4GB for now.

That said, if I were buying a machine I was expecting to use for a few years, I'd be getting the best I could afford (particularly in something I can't upgrade later). It's probably safe to assume that 4GB would be a limiting factor by 2015/2016.

My 15" MBPr fits on an non-reclined-chair airplane tray just fine, so I'm sure you'd be safe with a 13".

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
The ultra-fast PCIe SSD in the new Airs will go a long way towards mitigating the effect of swapping slowdowns, so you're probably fine with 4GB for now.
As will memory compression in 10.9 - VMware did a bunch of benchmarking of memory compression, which they implement on their ESXi hypervisors, and in memory contention scenarios, it reduces the need for swapping by up to 85%.

This and a few other under-the-hood features are going to be superb for the Macbook Air line of machines (and the Pro's of course, but the Air in particular is going to love this)
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't want to hijack a thread but looking at an mini display to HDMI adapter.
Is this cheap one a good alternative to the $30+ one Apple sells?

edit: Says it doesn't transmit audio... Any one out there recommend a good one? and a decent HDMI cable on Amazon.
What about this?
http://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Display-...ref=pd_cp_ce_3
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Honestly, just myself, i'd put the 8gb in and pay for express shipping if I needed it faster. If this was really not possible

...and the SD card slot the 13" is a great computer too.
Shipping really isn't. Without going into details ideally I need to get it on the 18th/19th.

Unfortunate that there's no SD slot on the 11". I didn't realize that, and it was kind of a big selling feature for me. I guess a USB reader it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I agree with silentsim, but I'll offer an alternate opinion. I have a 2 year old 11" with 4 gigs and it feels about as fast as he day I bought it. I use lightroom/aperture and experience very little slowdown. If I was buying a new one today and money was a factor, I'd stick with 4.
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
OS X 10.9 is going to include memory compression, which will help stretch out that 4 GB of RAM and help prevent the machine from bogging down when memory gets tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
As will memory compression in 10.9 - ... it reduces the need for swapping by up to 85%.
That's all pretty re-assuring. I'd much prefer the 8GB but with the new OS it sounds like it's not going to be as big of an issue. I guess worse comes to worse I flip it when the next model comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
edit: Says it doesn't transmit audio... Any one out there recommend a good one? and a decent HDMI cable on Amazon.
Do you have Thunderbolt or not? If not this one will work IIRC from the 2010 model and up:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If you have thunderbolt there's a $7 option on monoprice too.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well to follow up, I bought the 4GB, let it sit on the counter unopened for 2 days, and returned it to order the 8GB. I'll have to make due with what I have for the next few weeks.

Thanks again for all the replies!
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Well to follow up, I bought the 4GB, let it sit on the counter unopened for 2 days, and returned it to order the 8GB. I'll have to make due with what I have for the next few weeks.

Thanks again for all the replies!
At least there won't be any buyers remorse now. Good decision!
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
At least there won't be any buyers remorse now. Good decision!
Ultimately, a sound decision, yes.