Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #341
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Just Old Time Hockey boys. He's the hero the game needs. 0 games as long as he fights Cernak. It's about respect.
"Big boy hockey"
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #342
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
George Parros should be attending every Edmonton game from now going forward.
I don't think Parros is doing a great job, but that punishment is beyond reasonable. It might even be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Factor in the amount of concussions Parros has received in his career, this might even be a life sentence.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #343
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
In the Post game interview, Kassian admitted to kicking him with his skate and said if he wanted to, he could’ve kicked him harder and he would’ve felt it

You don’t get any dumber than this
Is this actually true?

I saw a video on Twitter that was the audio from the Tkachuk incident over looped video of the skate thing

Edit:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1228405398899572736

Last edited by Split98; 02-14-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #344
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow, what an arrogant piece of crap Kassian is.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #345
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The thing is that typical of Kassian - and the Oiler fans seem to forget when he broke Sam Gagner's cheekbone for no reason as a Canuck - this was not a particularly eventful moment that would cause a player to snap. The reason for the pile-up should have been called as a holding penalty on Kassian in the first place. He took his hand off his stick, reached around him and pulled him down, getting tangled with his own team-mate in the first place, and then all he was trying to do is get up. It was Kassian's own team-mate that had him pinned down.

In Kassian's tiny brain, both at the time and even after the game was over, kicking Cernak with his skate blade was a perfectly reasonable response to the situation he was in. If you're looking at a criminal sentence, that's an aggravating factor that adds on time that the act itself merits. This is a guy who just doesn't get where the line is after repeat suspensions. He ought to get something beyond 10 games.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #346
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No place for this in hockey. If it wasn't the Oilers, I'd expect a ten game suspension. (And if Cernak had been injured, more games would have been appropriate.)

But because Kassian plays for the Oilers and they are one of the NHL brass' favored teams, I'm guessing five games.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #347
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy is it ever satisfying to see Kassian pull this after he went around talking about playing the game the right way, implying he's some sort of honourable and honest player. The truth always comes out you hypocrite and fake.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 01:15 PM   #348
smoothessence
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

not sure how to embed this but very good angle and clean slowmo

https://streamable.com/ojf7g
smoothessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #349
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why is that Lucic didn't want to drop the gloves with him again?
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #350
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between him and Raisaitl they should rename the team to Hypocrites.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #351
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You have to think after what he said post game that it was the Oilers telling him not to do the in-person hearing. At least then they can have someone with cue cards telling him what to say, cause when he speaks for himself.....yikes.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #352
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Is this actually true?

I saw a video on Twitter that was the audio from the Tkachuk incident over looped video of the skate thing

Edit:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1228405398899572736
That's audio from the Tkachuk incident put over footage from last night.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #353
SilverGS
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothessence View Post
not sure how to embed this but very good angle and clean slowmo

https://streamable.com/ojf7g
Funny.. Kassian said Cernak was holding his leg but in that replay you can clearly see Kassian reach out and grab Cernak's arm slowing him from getting up. Only when he lets go Cernak starts getting up freeing Kassian's leg. After his leg is free is when he winds back and delivers a kick to Cernal's chest. That is clearly not a pulling your leg out from being stuck movement.

Guys get tangled up every game and this maybe the first time I have ever seen a reactionary kick to the chest.

Edit: Looked again and Kassian's leg wasn't even pinned under Cernak's arm at all. It was loose to the side on top of his own player completely free. When he pulls his leg back nothing was obstructing it at all. I get it all happens much quick than being able to watch it slow mow but it is completely opposite of what Kassian said happened.

Last edited by SilverGS; 02-14-2020 at 01:33 PM.
SilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #354
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A question for people who know stuff.

If the DOPS requests a player to come in for an in person hearing, and they waive their right to that, does that mean there is a minimum suspension that goes along with that?

I feel that if Player Safety is asking you to come down and you're all "Nah" it should have a minimum punishment.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #355
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Kassian has:

- Received a 20-game suspension in his first game with the Windsor Spitfires in the one play he has said he regrets.

- Received a 4-game suspension in the OHL playoffs for a two-handed slash from behind to the leg of an opponent after an empty net goal had been scored, followed by numerous cross-checks to his downed opponent, in an incident to which he claimed his opponent embellished the initial slash. Asked if he regretted the play, he stated "if anything, I'll hit him a little harder next time".

- Recieved a 2-game suspension at the World Juniors, in an incident to which he claimed he was only suspended because of his reputation.

- Received a 8-game suspension for breaking Sam Gagner's jaw with a slash, followed by mocking Gagner's injury the next time they played.

- Received a 3-game suspension for boarding Brendan Dillon.

- Attacked Taylor Hall from behind in a similar manner he later did to Tkachuk.

- Stood over Jimmy Vesey, who was lying on the ice having had a tooth knocked out and bleeding from the mouth after incidental contact with Kassian, and shouted at Vesey "I hope you bleed out on the ice".

- Received a 2-game suspension for attacking Matthew Tkachuk, to which he stated he would "do it again".

- Kicked an opposing player who HE tackled to the ice, then completely fabricated a story stating his opponent was holding his leg when the video clearly shows otherwise. Also justifies the kick as not being that bad.

This is a player who is a loose cannon and shows no ability to take accountability for his actions. He is a danger to other players and the message needs to be delivered accordingly.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 02-14-2020 at 01:34 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #356
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
Funny.. Kassian said Cernak was holding his leg but in that replay you can clearly see Kassian reach out and grab Cernak's arm slowing him from getting up. Only when he lets go Cernak starts getting up freeing Kassian's leg. After his leg is free is when he winds back and delivers a kick to Cernal's chest. That is clearly not a pulling your leg out from being stuck movement.

Guys get tangled up every game and this maybe the first time I have ever seen a reactionary kick to the chest.
Exactly, what he said after the game is a blatant lie. He took the guy down, then proceeded to hold onto the top of his glove, and then freed his leg, then brought his leg back to kick him. There was zero need to kick the guy, he could have just got up as soon as Cernak was getting up. That is an intent to injure with his skate, plain and simple. He better get 10 games. He knew exactly what he was doing and Cernak didn't do anything wrong.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #357
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Kassian support of the Tkachuk incident was one of the most confusing things I've witnessed in hockey...........made me really question if I just couldn't have a remotely educated opinion when the Flames were involved, given the number of hockey people that had a much different take than me.

This incident and the reaction from Kassian post had re-instilled my faith in my own abilities to see things fairly objectively. Thanks Kassian and Oliers media, I need this.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #358
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
That's audio from the Tkachuk incident put over footage from last night.
Yes it is
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #359
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
A question for people who know stuff.

If the DOPS requests a player to come in for an in person hearing, and they waive their right to that, does that mean there is a minimum suspension that goes along with that?

I feel that if Player Safety is asking you to come down and you're all "Nah" it should have a minimum punishment.
Why? Why would you deserve more for agreeing to hold the meeting over the phone rather than flying to Toronto?

As it is, by offering in-person, the league's already signaled this is most likely 6+ games.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #360
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
So Kassian has:

- Received a 20-game suspension in his first game with the Windsor Spitfires in the one play he has said he regrets.

- Received a 4-game suspension in the OHL playoffs for a two-handed slash from behind to the leg of an opponent after an empty net goal had been scored, followed by numerous cross-checks to his downed opponent, in an incident to which he claimed his opponent embellished the initial slash. Asked if he regretted the play, he stated "if anything, I'll hit him a little harder next time".

- Recieved a 2-game suspension at the World Juniors, in an incident to which he claimed he was only suspended because of his reputation.

- Received a 8-game suspension for breaking Sam Gagner's jaw with a slash, followed by mocking Gagner's injury the next time they played.

- Received a 3-game suspension for boarding Brendan Dillon.

- Attacked Taylor Hall from behind in a similar manner he later did to Tkachuk.

- Stood over Jimmy Vesey, who was lying on the ice having had a tooth knocked out and bleeding from the mouth after incidental contact with Kassian, and shouted at Vesey "I hope you bleed out on the ice".

- Received a 2-game suspension for attacking Matthew Tkachuk, to which he stated he would "do it again".

- Kicked an opposing player who HE tackled to the ice, then completely fabricated a story stating his opponent was holding his leg when the video clearly shows otherwise. Also justifies the kick as not being that bad.

This is a player who is a loose cannon and shows no ability to take accountability for his actions. He is a danger to other players and the message needs to be delivered accordingly.
Let’s not forget when he kicked Dave Bolland in the leg, severing his tendon.
It was deemed an accident at the time, but I always wondered if he intentionally kicked him. Regardless, he more than most should realize the dangers of a sharp skate blade.