Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #241
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My guess is these super secret Romulans created the Borg, and are now hell bent on not having that mistake repeated, so want to make sure no advanced robots ever exist.
I try not to remember Voyager but weren't the Borg way out wherever they were to start?

Anyway, awesome second episode. Nice to see the F word in Star Trek
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:25 PM   #242
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The amount of time they spent looking at the communication records of Dahj was ridiculous. Somebody deleted the index and now all the records look the same. What? Some more painful writing and then the dramatic reveal when she found the outgoing and incoming messages. Riveting...
I mean technobabble is boilerplate Star Trek, but usually it's 45 seconds of someone coming up with a new and novel way to route the thing to the thing to solve some otherwise impossible problem... Not 10 minutes of it!

Things got somewhat better from there thankfully.

Still enjoying it so far.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:34 PM   #243
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoyed the second episode. Old married bickering Tal Shiar agents are the best kind kind of Tal Shiar agents lol.

Seems to me they are gearing up Picard to show the collapse and rot of the Federation. Maybe this has an eventual tie in with Discovery? Though that is still several hundred years down the road.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 11:04 PM   #244
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Enjoyed the second episode. Old married bickering Tal Shiar agents are the best kind kind of Tal Shiar agents lol.

Seems to me they are gearing up Picard to show the collapse and rot of the Federation. Maybe this has an eventual tie in with Discovery? Though that is still several hundred years down the road.
I get the feeling that this isn’t going to be Federation vs Romulans, or something like that.

It seems that it’s going to be groups from each working together against groups from each.

Somehow the Borg are going to be involved yet too. Seven of Nine was being advertised like she was a main character, and hasn’t shown up at all yet.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 01-31-2020 at 11:08 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #245
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately the only substantial piece I took from the second episode is that we are still saying #### all these years later. That's comforting.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #246
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Unfortunately the only substantial piece I took from the second episode is that we are still saying #### all these years later. That's comforting.
These guys arent as intellectually and socially advanced as they'd like us to believe!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #247
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find it funny how Romulans had their own sassy Irish ladies. Seeing diversity amongst alien races is a nice departure for Star Trek.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #248
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I find it funny how Romulans had their own sassy Irish ladies. Seeing diversity amongst alien races is a nice departure for Star Trek.
And not only that, you have these individuals who were deeply ingrained into the standard Romulan culture and then when everything falls apart and they move on to continue their lives elsewhere they realize and understand that they dont always have to do things the strict Romulan way. There are other ways to live your life that can be equally if not more fulfilling.

Picard feels like hes been hiding away and abandoning the Galaxy, but its not as though theres anything wrong with a decorated Officer retiring and living out his Space Dementia in a Vineyard.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #249
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Man, when I was watching that scene I was thinking the same thing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #250
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One of the coolest theories I heard about the origins of the Borg was that they were a branch of the Vidiians (from Voyager). Basically, there was one branch of Vidiians that combated the phage by harvesting and implanting living tissue, whereas the other branch used synthetic implants, and eventually evolved into the Borg.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #251
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There have been a lot of black Vulcans, Tuvok being an example.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #252
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

news about the Section 31 series was posted in the ST general thread. I wonder if they're going to introduce an extra super duper secret organization, of which S31 is just the tip of the iceberg? after all, Discovery has S31 agents and command hanging around in plain sight, as if they're just a specialized wing that everyone already knows about. the Tal Shiar lost all their secrecy as well, though not as abruptly.

I'm now imagining every secret org in Star Trek as an infinite Matryoshka doll that has an additional layer working beneath the one you're currently dealing with.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #253
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
news about the Section 31 series was posted in the ST general thread. I wonder if they're going to introduce an extra super duper secret organization, of which S31 is just the tip of the iceberg? after all, Discovery has S31 agents and command hanging around in plain sight, as if they're just a specialized wing that everyone already knows about. the Tal Shiar lost all their secrecy as well, though not as abruptly.

I'm now imagining every secret org in Star Trek as an infinite Matryoshka doll that has an additional layer working beneath the one you're currently dealing with.
Starfleet is getting pretty Soviet KGB and Gestapo pretty quickly.

Remember when they had ideals and no inter-personal conflict?

I guess Paradise is a Bell Curve.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #254
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
One of the coolest theories I heard about the origins of the Borg was that they were a branch of the Vidiians (from Voyager). Basically, there was one branch of Vidiians that combated the phage by harvesting and implanting living tissue, whereas the other branch used synthetic implants, and eventually evolved into the Borg.
In one of the books it was implied that Q created the Borg, but of course that isn't canon.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #255
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post

I liked how section 31 was portrayed in DS9 and even in Enterprise. They didn't need Starships, or armed security guards. They were hidden in plain sight in the Federation charter. Their agents moved in the background. If they needed a mission done, they'd subvert a captain or a senior officer to do the dirty work, all in the name of the Security of the Federation.

If you reported them, you didn't really know if you were reporting to someone that had been subverted by or was a member of Section 31. They were buried in Star Fleet Security.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #256
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Section 31 in DS9 was amazing. They always kept it vague enough that you weren't sure if Sloan literally was a one man operation who had just gone off the deep end or if it actually existed. I don't think it was until the last or second to last episode that Sloan appeared that they really confirmed he wasn't just a lone wolf.

As for episode two, I'm still on board and like where they're going. Not sure I liked this episode.

Also, I haven't watch discovery, but I am sure in need of a better theme. Ever since Enterprise they've really dropped the ball. I want my big orchestral opening, dammit.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #257
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't want to read the thread as I'm trying to avoid spoilers but I have a question:

If I've only seen say a half dozen episodes of the NG series, will I be able to appreciate Picard? It looks fantastic and I don't overly want to go back and watch NG if I don't have to, but if it's like watching Serenity without watching Firefly first I will.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #258
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Don't want to read the thread as I'm trying to avoid spoilers but I have a question:

If I've only seen say a half dozen episodes of the NG series, will I be able to appreciate Picard? It looks fantastic and I don't overly want to go back and watch NG if I don't have to, but if it's like watching Serenity without watching Firefly first I will.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
You might be a little bit lost for the first episode but I think you'd probably be okay if you've watched a few TNG episodes and understand Data, Romulans and Borg.

If you want to get the background, there are a few back story TNG episodes that would probably help a lot. TNG Episodes: Measure of a Man. I, Borg. Data Lore. Best of Both Worlds. Unification. Movies: Star Trek First Contact and Nemesis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 11:27 PM   #259
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd agree with that list, I think its really good you could probably add the episode I think it was Q who, where we were introduced to the Borg for the first time and they were truly terrifying in that episode. There was even a theory that that first encounter is what trigger the Borg to really take notice on the Federation.

It might be worthwhile to watch the first DS9 episode the Emissary, which showed the battle of Wolf 359 from Sisko's perspective, and the hatred of Picard by Sisko in their meeting was well done.

You can probably zip through a lot of Nemesis and watch about the last 15 minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 12:56 AM   #260
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've never watched Nemesis and I can't say it's holding me back for Picard.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote