Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think treliving has any autonomy at all.

How could one possibly believe that after how the last season and a half have gone?
Because I’ve overheard Edwards speaking with a previous GM on the phone and he was hands off (as long as the overall budget was not impacted)?

Maybe he’s completely changed his tune. But that’s the evidence i have.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #82
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Do you think King is still a road block or has he been effectively sidelined. I think Edwards has his fingers in the pie and nixed that Zucker deal.
I don't think Ken is working off of his own script either.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #83
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I hate this argument. Nobody thinks that he is. He just isn't teaching/motivating them not to.
I think that as fans we often overestimate the impact of coaching in the NHL. If these players are not motivating themselves to continually improve and be the best at their craft, then that’s a major problem. Just like in any other professional career, it’s not your boss’s job to motivate you.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #84
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I think that as fans we often overestimate the impact of coaching in the NHL. If these players are not motivating themselves to continually improve and be the best at their craft, then that’s a major problem. Just like in any other professional career, it’s not your boss’s job to motivate you.
Where I work that is definitely part of their job.

They shouldn't be behind me cheering me on at every opportunity but they need to keep me focused, on point and understanding what the end goal always is so I am never at a loss or confused.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #85
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah, coaches do more than just motivate.

They also blend the lines and try to perfectly time the calling of timeouts
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #86
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question isn't whether ownership is involved in decisions that affect real money, but it's whether they are more or less involved than other clubs.

Is there any doubt that Treliving has an operating budget every year and that moves that exceed those parameters need approval? I would think most clubs operate that way.

Take last year's Zucker trade. Zucker's 2019/20 cap hit is $5.5 million but his actual salary is $6.25 million. Frolik's cap hit is $4.3 million but his actual salary is $3 million.

That's a net increase of $2 million cash over their respective cap hits. Assuming the budget roughly corresponds to the cap, that's likely an increase in actual spending than what was projected.

No one should be surprised, least of all Treliving, that such a move would require an OK from ownership.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #87
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Geoff Ward Edit - website was wrong
https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/wardge99c.html

I put in his age as GP. Doh.

But his winning percentage is actually higher than .606

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax

Last edited by Flashpoint; 02-18-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #88
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Hmm....

Quote:
Scholars at the Harris School of Public Policy analyzed hundreds of seasons of data, including wins and losses and sports scores and statistics, and estimated that coaches account for 20 percent to 30 percent of the variation in team outcomes.
https://news.uchicago.edu/story/how-...success-sports
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #89
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Geoff Ward

.606 winning percentage
33-19-12

That’s 57 games. That seems like a pretty good sample size, no?
Didn't he take over on November 27th?

I got 20-12-2 with a +6 goal differential (113-107)

I believe that's a .620 points percentage?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #90
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Geoff Ward

.606 winning percentage
33-19-12

That’s 57 games. That seems like a pretty good sample size, no?
It should help when interviewing for his next NHL job. No guarantee that the new head coach hired in the offseason will want to keep him on his staff if they have their own guys in mind although I'm sure Treliving would prefer that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Didn't he take over on November 27th?

I got 20-12-2 with a +6 goal differential (113-107)

I believe that's a .620 points percentage?
They don’t count the one game where Peters was still officially coach. But he won it.

BTW, a lot of people are discounting the first streak as a post coach bump. However, I think if you look at the stats on that, it’s a myth.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #92
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The question isn't whether ownership is involved in decisions that affect real money, but it's whether they are more or less involved than other clubs.

Is there any doubt that Treliving has an operating budget every year and that moves that exceed those parameters need approval? I would think most clubs operate that way.

Take last year's Zucker trade. Zucker's 2019/20 cap hit is $5.5 million but his actual salary is $6.25 million. Frolik's cap hit is $4.3 million but his actual salary is $3 million.

That's a net increase of $2 million cash over their respective cap hits. Assuming the budget roughly corresponds to the cap, that's likely an increase in actual spending than what was projected.

No one should be surprised, least of all Treliving, that such a move would require an OK from ownership.

Sweet example, your math doesn't even work. Zucker's salary is $725k ABOVE his cap hit and Frolik's is $1.3 million BELOW, so the Flames would have actually saved real money vs. cap hit.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #93
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrince View Post
Sweet example, your math doesn't even work. Zucker's salary is $725k ABOVE his cap hit and Frolik's is $1.3 million BELOW, so the Flames would have actually saved real money vs. cap hit.
What?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #94
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrince View Post
Ummm, nope. The Flames would have lost real dollars, because they pay more than the cap hit and lose a player making less. And they’d have lost cap space too but that’s irrelevant to this discussion.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #95
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It should help when interviewing for his next NHL job. No guarantee that the new head coach hired in the offseason will want to keep him on his staff if they have their own guys in mind although I'm sure Treliving would prefer that.
Why do you think Treliving would prefer Ward to stay with a new HC? Because of the Gelinas/Huska precedent?
Old 02-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #96
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why do you think Treliving would prefer Ward to stay with a new HC? Because of the Gelinas/Huska precedent?
Because he likes Ward obviously and I imagine he probably signed for three seasons. I have to imagine they would rather not fire coaches that they like under contract to hire new ones if they can.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #97
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Because he likes Ward obviously and I imagine he probably signed for three seasons. I have to imagine they would rather not fire coaches that they like under contract to hire new ones if they can.
Why does he like Ward “obviously”? He didn’t hire him as HC once already, and hired him as AC when Peters wanted it. I doubt he signed an AC for 3 seasons either - they are typically year to year. Even so, he’d only have one season left.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #98
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What?
I imagine that his point was about the Flames getting more value out of Zucker paid more real dollars than his caphit versus Frolik who impacted the cap more than the actual dollars paid.

Not that addresses the need for the ownership to be involved when actual operating dollars changes.

Treliving has not been afraid to make big meaningful additions as long as the high cost meant a long term addition (Hamilton, Hamonic, Lindholm/Hanifin)

I don't see the guy making a big swing for a UFA and another 'hockey deal' seems difficult unless they're willing to move from a high value piece like Hanifin so soon. Nobody else really has that kind of value.

Last edited by Anduril; 02-19-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #99
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think treliving has any autonomy at all.

How could one possibly believe that after how the last season and a half have gone?
What am I missing (seriously)? As mentioned I'm sure he doesn't have full autonomy, I'm guessing most GMs don't have complete free reign.

But what has happened in the last season and a half that would make us believe he's being hindered by ownership more so than would be normal for any GM?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #100
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Ummm, nope. The Flames would have lost real dollars, because they pay more than the cap hit and lose a player making less. And they’d have lost cap space too but that’s irrelevant to this discussion.
He was having his own argument about real money vs. cap hit rather than just real money, and for some reason decided to yell at strange brew instead of just mumbling to himself in the corner.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote