Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #821
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
It's something Treliving learned from Burke.

Do your research, make a list of candidates.
Talk to your contacts about your candidates, because everything you need to know about a coach is out there.
Make a tentative decision based on the information you learn about candidates.
Interview tentative choice, to confirm what you've been told as "you can't win the job in an interview, but you can lose it."
Was that the approach when GG was hired?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:30 AM   #822
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Was that the approach when GG was hired?
Probably, and I know what you are trying to get at and bad hires happen in any format for hiring.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #823
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably, and I know what you are trying to get at and bad hires happen in any format for hiring.
He interviewed tons of people when GG was hired as it was reported. I don't really think there is a formula they follow for making coaching hires. Each situation was quite different.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #824
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He interviewed tons of people when GG was hired as it was reported. I don't really think there is a formula they follow for making coaching hires. Each situation was quite different.
There have been reports of a "short list", the only rumor of an actual interview I recall was Boudreau which turned out to be false.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #825
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There have been reports of a "short list", the only rumor of an actual interview I recall was Boudreau which turned out to be false.
I seem to recall that Boudreau and Yeo were on the shortlist. Boudreau said after that he was never contacted, but he could have also been respecting the Flames privacy and didn't want to outright say he turned down Calgary for Minnesota.

I do find it conspicuous that Gulutzan was signed a couple of days after both Boudeau and Yeo were signed by other teams. Gulutzan was never mentioned as far as I can recall until the other 2 were off the market.

I think Boudreau's age is starting to be a factor for teams wanting a long term head coach. He'll be 66 before the next season starts. He doesn't seem to be a picture of health and with COVID around, it has to be a concern.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #826
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am sure this is probably discussed already, but I am too busy/lazy to go back and read all the posts.

If Ward was given a new 2 year deal, that is essentially a one year deal (because after this first year, either he will be resigned or let go because you can't have a coach on one year deal (lame duck analogy). So my question is, is this a short-leash for Ward or is it a short-leash for Treliving? Does Tre get to pick the next coach if Ward stinks it up Or do they both get the boot together?

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:30 AM   #827
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
I am sure this is probably discussed already, but I am too busy/lazy to go back and read all the posts.

If Ward was given a new 2 year deal, that is essentially a one year deal (because after this first year, either he will be resigned or let go because you can't have a coach on one year deal (lame duck analogy). So my question is, is this a short-leash for Ward or is it a short-leash for Treliving? Does Tre get to pick the next coach if Ward stinks it up Or do they both get the boot together?
I don't think the fan base will want Tre around if Ward isn't a success.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #828
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No shame in that. They are delicious and it's wonderful when you let them melt in your mouth.
Try Rockets with saline crackers. I don't always eat them that way, but it's a combination that is better than it sounds.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote