Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #21
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Derek Ryan + Noah Hanifin for OEL. I’m into that deal. Cap hits for 20/21 equal out, but Arizona’s cap relief comes into play as years go forward, they can also flip Ryan for a later pick.

Derek Ryan + Noah Hanifin + 2021 1st for OEL + Kuemper + Hall’s rights also works for me.

I think OEL needs a better partner (Andersson) and a fresh start. He’ll be back to being a solid top pairing defenceman for the next 5 years. He’s also 3rd in hits by a defenceman last season behind Risto and Gudas, and I think our defence needs that.
Ryan has no trade value.

The Flames need more quality d-men.... they are no position to trade away a proven 20 minute D-man like Hanifin,

Right now looking at Dallas The Flames planned #1 for 2020-21 Andersson would be 4/5 with Lindell on the Stars.

Looking at TB Andersson would be #5 at best.

The Flames are in the process of losing Gio, Brodie and Hamonic. 3 of the top 4 (along with Hanifin) from the 2018-19 season where they actually did have one of the top 5 sets of d-men.

That is not quite as bad as the mess the Jets faced last year (Buff, Trouba, Meyers, Chiarot) but it is close.

Get OEL by all mean but it can't be for Hanifin, or Andersson the only 2 d-men on the Flames roster that need to be protected in the expansion draft.

A deal for OEL starts with Monahan or Gaudreau.

If the Flames went and trade Gaudreau for OEL it provides a reason to go after Taylor Hall..... or at least it makes room for the best Flame asset not in the NHL: Pelletier. If Pelletier is near as good as some people at CP seem to indicate he should be NHL ready either this season or next.

In non-covid times I would expect Pelletier to be in the AHL this season.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #22
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Initially saw this on my phone which of course cut off the "Value of" so that startled me for a sec.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #23
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you can offload 9 million in cap space in the form of Lucic and Ryan for a 20 minute per night player I think you pull that trigger every day of the week.

If there's a deal close to that the Flames should be all over it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #24
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
A deal for OEL starts with Monahan or Gaudreau.

AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #25
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sometimes this message board is hilarious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #26
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Is it too wide or messing with anyone's formatting?

I love it.
It stands out. In the right way. Catches your eye every time.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #27
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
'Yotes need to retain salary on that contract.

I wonder if they would entertain 50% retention of salary......
They're probably penny pinching during COVID times too, kinda doubt it. I imagine ownership groups would be suddenly much more leery of taking on dead money.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts on this?...

OEL + rights to Hall for Mangiapane and Lucic
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #29
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not interested in his contract AT ALL. No way should the Flames be giving up a 1st round pick.

OEL ($8.25M) for Ryan ($3.125M) + Lucic ($5.75M) + 2nd

Otherwise, no thank you

even then I am not interested, as the last few years of that contract are franchise-crushing
The Yotes desperately need a guy like Lucic imo. we're small weak and pathetic
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #30
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this is a bad trade.

As for salary retention on OEL, 2 million dollar retention works out to 14 million dollars over the life of the deal.
The Coyotes will probably be bankrupt long before then.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #31
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you can offload 9 million in cap space in the form of Lucic and Ryan for a 20 minute per night player I think you pull that trigger every day of the week.

If there's a deal close to that the Flames should be all over it.
That's the only proposal I've seen so far for OEL that I actually like. I'd even be willing to retain 25% of Ryan's salary.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #32
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the cost of 3 million in dead cap for one year is a 1st round pick, what's the cost of 28 million in dead cap over 7 years?

15 first rounders?
Old 09-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #33
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The Coyotes will probably be bankrupt long before then.
I'm pretty sure they are bankrupt right now.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #34
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

OEL ($2M retained) + Kuemper + Hall (rights) for Rittich + Mangi + 2021 2nd. Or swap Mangi for Kylington.

I dont even know why I'm jumping in on this like a 14 year old NHL20 GM. Really, at the end of the day, I'd much rather resign Brodie at $5.5 than bring in OEL even on a retained deal.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
OEL ($2M retained) + Kuemper + Hall (rights) for Rittich + Mangi + 2021 2nd. Or swap Mangi for Kylington.

I dont even know why I'm jumping in on this like a 14 year old NHL20 GM. Really, at the end of the day, I'd much rather resign Brodie at $5.5 than bring in OEL even on a retained deal.
That is bringing about $10M in (plus another $7-8M if they can sign Hall) for something like $6-7M out.

Not possible.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #36
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
The Yotes desperately need a guy like Lucic imo. we're small weak and pathetic
Okay, Looch for OEL straight up
Old 09-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #37
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
... If the Flames went and trade Gaudreau for OEL it provides a reason to go after Taylor Hall..... or at least it makes room for the best Flame asset not in the NHL: Pelletier. If Pelletier is near as good as some people at CP seem to indicate he should be NHL ready either this season or next...
What on earth is this based on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #38
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^

No one on this board talks about Pelletier

He's the most under the radar prospect in the system IMO.

LOL, good stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #39
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macindoc View Post
that's the only proposal i've seen so far for oel that i actually like. I'd even be willing to retain $25 of ryan's salary.
fyp
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #40
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't take OEL if Arizona was throwing in the first round pick.

That sounds a bit harsh to the OP, but 7 years @8.25 million for a player that is in need of a 'change of scenery', onto a team that is the strongest at LW and LD, seems like an unnecessary HUGE risk to me.

Best case scenario: OEL returns to form, and lives up to his 8.25 deal for 4 seasons and then the decline will inevitably happen at 33/34 or so. How much he starts declining is anyone's guess.

Middle case scenario: No change. OEL just continues to decline, and is a 2nd/3rd pairing (on the Flames - and assuming Giordano moves, which I doubt). Hanifin is BETTER than OEL right now - more offence too. Doubt he pushes Hanifin down to the third pairing. Giordano is definitely better, even with his 'off' season. Maybe Giordano bounces back, maybe not, but he is not worse than OEL right now.

Worst case: Sometimes a 'change of scenery' happens, and the player actually gets worse? Crazy, right?

What a huge and unnecessary risk. This could be an absolutely crippling move for the Flames to take on that could impede any hope to building an actual team capable of winning the cup.

Lucic's deal is somewhat crippling right now - the Flames are forced to replace Brodie with a cheap defencemen in order to sign Hall, or not sign Hall, still downgrade from Brodie and try to patch up different holes on this roster.

I don't mind paying superstars their money - that's fine with me. I don't think McDavid's contract is crippling at all to building a contender. However, paying for depth or drastically under-performing players is, and OEL is headed in that direction for SEVEN more seasons at 8.25. That's too huge a risk.

So, I wouldn't want the Flames to take on that deal even if Arizona threw-in their 1st round pick. Too great of a risk. You would be hoping that OEL returns to form and stays that way for the majority of his deal, and I think you can't legitimately expect that. To pry any assets for taking the gamble will probably not come from a team that is fairly strong already on the left side.

Arizona better be looking at teams like Edmonton with weak D, or other teams in need of a LD and who also have a 'change of scenery' type player for them to add to their package, which should be a 'decent' package probably involving a first. I just don't see how this makes any sense at all for Calgary in taking this unnecessary risk.

I would much rather continue having Lucic and Ryan on this team with their current deals, than getting OEL on that deal. Next season Ryan is gone, and Lucic 3 seasons from now. They are both overpaid, but they are both filling holes on the roster, and having them both here right now is making it difficult for Calgary to add to the core in any meaningful way. OEL wouldn't really be upgrading anything, much less filling a hole. It just doesn't make sense in any way to gamble with that deal, so I would be looking at OEL as a straight dump that MIGHT work out and be as good as Hanifin. Right now, keeping all the personnel on the Flames, he is starting on the third pairing (Giordano, Hanifin) and taking away Valimaki's development.

There is one positive, however... you don't need to worry about protecting him in the expansion draft.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: