Exp:

What filters do you like?

Vehicle in question for me is an 08 Ram 1500
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #502
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I buy NAPA Gold filters, mostly because I get a discount, but they're made by Wix so they're really good. Stay away from FRAM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #503
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I prefer OEM, Toyota and Ford I know are good filters.

Mopar filter looks very good as well.

Last edited by zamler; 09-17-2020 at 05:35 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #504
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I buy NAPA Gold filters, mostly because I get a discount, but they're made by Wix so they're really good. Stay away from FRAM.

I haven't had any issues with any Fram filters for past 20 years. Orange basic ones, I'd have used them for around 6000km OCI with dino oil. Lately, I am using Toughguard ones and I leave it for two OCI as they are rated for 24000km using synthetic oil (Honda maintenance even states oil filter change every other time with OEM ones which are Fram sourced) and most of my oil changes are around 10000km, depending on drive cycle. Walmart is clearing them out at $3 each if anyone wants to stock up on Toughguard one.

Fram synthetic oil filters are rated for much longer and others have left it for 3-4 OCI's without issue. Check out BITOG forum as there are many interesting topics related to various oil and filters.

Antidrain valve is not as important if the oil filter sits vertically to the engine (like Honda V6). If filters are horizontal fitting (Civic I4), the having a good antidrain valve would be something that I'd look into for better quality.

I've used Napa NASCAR endorsed oil filters awhile back and all of them leaked at the gasket. Higher grade Napa filters are probably better, but I won't go my way to buy Napa when Fram is readily available everywhere.

Last edited by vtec260; 09-20-2020 at 08:34 AM.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #505
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forget the names of their lineup, but the cheaper FRAM filter is absolute garbage, the filter material disintigrates and detaches from the housing by the time you reach your next oil change.

There's nothing wrong with their more expensive one though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:00 PM   #506
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Im sure every local that passed us was laughing at the morons with the NY license plate.
I took the 996 on a heli-ski trip to Revelstoke years ago. Skis in the front seat, as I didn't have roof racks. Clearance aside, that thing was an absolute tank in winter, even without the AWD.

The morning of skiing, I was sitting in Denny's for breakfast. Two kids pull up in a beat up old Mazda.

They happen to sit in the booth beside me and once they get their coffee they look out the window and I hear laughter followed by "Who the (expletive) drives a 911 through the pass in winter?"

Without looking up from my meal I say "I do, and it handles winter roads better than the POS you pulled up in". They ended up having breakfast at my table while we BS'ed about cars and skiing.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #507
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
What filters do you like?

Vehicle in question for me is an 08 Ram 1500

Quaker State 5w-20 and Fram filters on my 2011 Ram 1500 ever since I started doing my own changes when the warranty expired.

No issues so far...(7 + years...)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #508
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did a small project for the NWR refinery a few years ago.

When we had a site meeting in January, the president of the ESP I was working for showed up to site in a AWD 911. Said it was his year round DD in Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
I took the 996 on a heli-ski trip to Revelstoke years ago. Skis in the front seat, as I didn't have roof racks. Clearance aside, that thing was an absolute tank in winter, even without the AWD.

The morning of skiing, I was sitting in Denny's for breakfast. Two kids pull up in a beat up old Mazda.

They happen to sit in the booth beside me and once they get their coffee they look out the window and I hear laughter followed by "Who the (expletive) drives a 911 through the pass in winter?"

Without looking up from my meal I say "I do, and it handles winter roads better than the POS you pulled up in". They ended up having breakfast at my table while we BS'ed about cars and skiing.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #509
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I like everything about the new M3 except the grille. I don't like the way the hood accentuates it either.

Still not a fan of the proportions of the new 4 Series, and that doesn't change with the M4.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #510
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact all the debut cars have front plates makes me think BMW marketing is trying to soften the look. It looks gaudy to me, which is a shame because the rest of the car looks amazing.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #511
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
[-YOUTUBE-]

I think I like everything about the new M3 except the grille. I don't like the way the hood accentuates it either.

Still not a fan of the proportions of the new 4 Series, and that doesn't change with the M4.
The grille is absolutely atrocious and kills the car for me. Additionally, it weighs something like an extra 400 lbs over the previous generation, ~3,900 lbs. That was fine when we were talking about the E39 M5, but this is an M3.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #512
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The grille is absolutely atrocious and kills the car for me. Additionally, it weighs something like an extra 400 lbs over the previous generation, ~3,900 lbs. That was fine when we were talking about the E39 M5, but this is an M3.
I assume xDrive adds a lot of weight here but the 0-60 times are going to be insane
Old 09-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #513
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not actually a good thing. BMW bowing before numbers on a page rather than making a car that actually feels good to drive is... not a very BMW thing to do.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #514
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should name it the BMW Albatross and get it over with. What a hideous barge of a design.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 PM   #515
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's not actually a good thing. BMW bowing before numbers on a page rather than making a car that actually feels good to drive is... not a very BMW thing to do.
still puts it in line with the main competition in the C63S and RS4. Whether it's smart to be more similar the competitors is a good point though
Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #516
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

It comes with the same system as the M5, X-drive you can make full RWD. I think the added weight is a decent compromise for a swiss army knife.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #517
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The added weight is a little disappointing but a base C8 Corvette weighs 3650 lbs and is a smaller RWD car and I don't see much hand wringing there. It's just the reality of the electronics and safety equipment installed in all vehicles these days. If you want a light sports car the Cayman is really the only option unless you are okay with less polished cars like the Alfa 4C or a Lotus. It's still going to be a more pure drivers car than an RS4 or C63S.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #518
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

GM designers have lost the plot.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFcJFBTA...ource=ig_embed

I know this isn't something they are really making, but it illustrates how far from reality they are, putting this out and thinking it looks presentable. The comments are not kind.

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-24-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #519
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Anyone owned a Jeep Wrangler? Thinking of buying one to replace an aging X5 for the winter months. Can you get away without snow tires on Wranglers?

Jeeps are horrible. We ended up with a Wrangler as a loaner once. Nothing about it was good. Road noise was bad, doors were stiff, gas mileage was crap. It wasn’t even very roomy. Do people buy these based on the look or what?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #520
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We ended up with a Wrangler as a loaner once. Nothing about it was good. Road noise was bad, doors were stiff, gas mileage was crap. It wasn’t even very roomy.
When I rented one a few years ago, all these things were true. Yet, it had a certain charm, and by the end of the rental I actually ended up liking it for what it was.

It's definitely going to be a totally different experience from an X5. Most of it bad. But the few good elements may really hook you.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote