Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #41
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Thinking about going from a 50" plasma to a projector. Anyone used/checked out a 3D one yet? I believe BenQ has one out now. It's 720p, but I doubt I need 1080p. I do mostly gaming and little movies.
Wait on 3D projectors, waste of money right now.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #42
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I'm moving to Iceland so beside the projector I'm selling all my home theater stuff, I'll have a post up soon.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #43
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Selling the coffee table?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 AM   #44
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How do 1080p projectors look compared to a 1080p tv? I have always doubted a projected could get such a crisp image with the screen 8-10 feet long and the projector showing the image from a few feet away. Does it actually work?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #45
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has anyone heard these speakers?

http://www.orbaudio.com/

Wondering if they're overpriced and if I'm getting sucked into the really nice looking form factor.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #46
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well with my 720p projector I think the picture quality is equal if not a little more crisp than my 720p Panasonic Plasma. I was shocked when I actually set it up I did not think it was going to look as good as it did for watching tv. I honestly think if you have the space you should go with a projector. You will not regret it
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #47
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Space and light control, projectors aren't very bright compared to massive LCD or Plasmas.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #48
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That is the only knock on them. It won't be as bright but I find the detail to be equal if not better. Plus its 50 inchs bigger so the little bit of brightness you lose you gain in awesomeness
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #49
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Wait on 3D projectors, waste of money right now.

Why's that? Content should be available soon...
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #50
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Why's that? Content should be available soon...
Because there will be like 5 movies in the next year that use 3D (Avatar on 3D blu-ray won't be out until 2011 for instance), and by then prices will be down $1000 if not more.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #51
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok, I'll play too.

All costs are at the time they were purchased.

TV: Samsung HPT5064 (50" plasma, 1080i - 2007 model, perhaps time to upgrade?) cost $1150 - got a great open box deal on this a few years ago, still looks great

Receiver: Sony STRDH800 7.1, 100 W x 8 channels (2009 model) $269 - great midrange receiver with 4 HDMI inputs and more than enough power for my little entertainment room in the basement

Cable: Shaw Motorola HD Terminal DCT-6416, $395 - standard from Shaw when I bought it in 2007

Game console: PS3 60GB (recently upgraded to 500GB) $400 - we've played so much Rockband 2 on it that the disk has begun to become translucent

Blu-Ray: Sony BDPS560 (2009 model) $199 (open box deal) - at first I was on the fence about having a stand alone BDP when I already have a PS3, but the sound quality takes a step up when you do from the PS3

Speakers: 5 Pioneer bookshelves from old 5.1 system (cc 2001), 2 new Polk Audio bookshelves to fill out the back channels (cc 2009)

Subwoofer: 8 inch 100w Soundstage subwoofer (cc 2008), $300

Serves me very well.

As above, looking possibly to upgrade my TV to 1080p. I want to go above 50", because even in a small room such as in my basement, I'm sitting at the max viewing distance of 12'. Think I would like to stick with plasma. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone here taken the plunge and opted for one of the new Samsung or Panasonic 3D HDTVs?

Last edited by IntenseFan; 03-29-2010 at 01:50 PM.
IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #52
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseFan View Post
Think I would like to stick with plasma. Any suggestions?
If I were to buy again I'd still go with the Panasonic Viera series. Extremely happy with it.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #53
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Selling the coffee table?
Actually yes.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #54
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
If I were to buy again I'd still go with the Panasonic Viera series. Extremely happy with it.
From what I've read for a bigger screen, I'd go with the Panasonic Plasma for 3D. It has better off angle viewing and you can lie on the couch and the 3D glasses still work.

I'm maybe looking at getting a 42" but so far only Samsung has 3D in that size. I'm waiting till at least other manufacturers like LG, Sony, and Sharp come out with all their offerings and we get some competition.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #55
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
From what I've read for a bigger screen, I'd go with the Panasonic Plasma for 3D. It has better off angle viewing and you can lie on the couch and the 3D glasses still work.

I'm maybe looking at getting a 42" but so far only Samsung has 3D in that size. I'm waiting till at least other manufacturers like LG, Sony, and Sharp come out with all their offerings and we get some competition.
Competition will also hopefully drive down the price to something more reasonable.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #56
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^No kidding.

I looked at the 55" Samsung 3D HDTV last week just to see what it was all about. It was a full $4k to walk away with the TV, BDP and a pair of glasses. Not to mention I would need a new Receiver with HDMI 1.4 or 1.4a.

Ouch.

Needless to say, I think I'll wait a few years on 3D tech.
IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #57
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseFan View Post
^No kidding.

I looked at the 55" Samsung 3D HDTV last week just to see what it was all about. It was a full $4k to walk away with the TV, BDP and a pair of glasses. Not to mention I would need a new Receiver with HDMI 1.4 or 1.4a.

Ouch.

Needless to say, I think I'll wait a few years on 3D tech.
I have a PS3 and luckily with a firmware update it will be able to handle 3D playback. But I am not spending $3500+ on a tv just to get 3D.

So no receivers be able to decode HDMI 1.4 now?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #58
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I have a PS3 and luckily with a firmware update it will be able to handle 3D playback. But I am not spending $3500+ on a tv just to get 3D.

So no receivers be able to decode HDMI 1.4 now?
Companies are now coming out with 3D capable receivers. Here's some Pioneer ones and the prices look reasonable in US dollars. They will be the models ending in 20-K.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...oneerReceivers
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #59
Mr. Ski
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
How do 1080p projectors look compared to a 1080p tv? I have always doubted a projected could get such a crisp image with the screen 8-10 feet long and the projector showing the image from a few feet away. Does it actually work?
Different, but both are great.

I have a 37" Sharp Aquos in the bedroom that is 1080P, and the aforementioned BenQ W5000 1080P projector.

The Aquos looks like a very big LCD computer monitor - crisp, clear and bright. Great 'little' TV.

The projector is not as bright, working best in a light controlled room; as such I've set it up so that I can have my theater room pitch black at high-noon, and have all my lights in the room on 3 selectable dimmers for whatever increased light level I desire above that. In that environment, nothing beats watching hockey, football, xbox or movies at 10'3" diagonal from only 10 feet back. It's like having a widescreen IMAX-like experience at home. Blu-ray movies shown in 24P look by far the best of any media (with xbox and ps3 games a close second). Shaw HD is also good, but you can see that the signal isn't as clean or uncompressed.

Watching in 1080/24P is very, very smooth and 'film-like', which considering everything from the disk through to the projector is fully digital is quite a feat. The focus is tack sharp too. Further, you don't see any screen door effect until you're within about 5-6 feet of the screen (which is way too close to see the whole thing at once anyhow).

I debated a long time getting a 60" LCD or Plasma before finally deciding on a projector. Now, no regrets at all.

Last edited by Mr. Ski; 03-30-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: sp
Mr. Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #60
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love it photon!

I just have tv going in through my computer, so my monitor is my home theatre haha. It makes things fairly convenient and i have no gaming system. Just surround sound on a soundblaster.. not bad really.

I'd like to get a projector though I think it would work for me!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote