Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #41
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm looking at throwing a few bucks into Etherium. Does anyone have any experience using coinbase?

Last edited by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration; 06-09-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #42
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
I'm looking at throwing a few bucks into Etherium. Does anyone have any experience using coinbase?
I used quadrigacx.com for my purchases,but it was a few weeks ago now.

ETH is hovering around $400CAD right now, pretty big jump jump from the $240 I bought at.

Maybe I should have posted in the stock/investment threads well.

I wish I had invested 10x what I did.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #43
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you got a PC with a Polaris Radeon RX 470/570 or RX 480/580 you can mine Etherium yourself or sell the card and make a few hundred bucks on Ebay.

I recently checked a few online retailers and none of these cards are available, most are likely getting flipped for profit due to demand. Article link
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #44
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I used quadrigacx.com for my purchases,but it was a few weeks ago now.

ETH is hovering around $400CAD right now, pretty big jump jump from the $240 I bought at.

Maybe I should have posted in the stock/investment threads well.

I wish I had invested 10x what I did.

Did you upload all the documents for the member verification process? (ID, selfie holding ID, and bank/utility statement) I understand it's for fraud protection but I have a hard time releasing all the combined info to a website that's not my bank or CRA lol. I may just be being a bit paranoid
Old 06-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #45
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
Did you upload all the documents for the member verification process? (ID, selfie holding ID, and bank/utility statement) I understand it's for fraud protection but I have a hard time releasing all the combined info to a website that's not my bank or CRA lol. I may just be being a bit paranoid
Yup. It's no different than opening an account with any securities exchange. It's part of their regulations on opening accounts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 AM   #46
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How would you go about liquidating your investment?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #47
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't see the following posted previously.

If you can put up with Ferriss, I found this to be pretty cool podcast on the subject:

The Quiet Master of Cryptocurrency — Nick Szabo - The Blog of Tim ...
tim.blog/2017/06/04/nick-szabo/
Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #48
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
How would you go about liquidating your investment?
Sell it on an exchange presumably
Old 07-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #49
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Eth is on a run. I'm pretty heavily invested in it so go man go!!!!

Looks like there is buy in on the mine side for their new software which seems to be driving BTC price here as well.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitco...oftware-2017-7

I'm not entirely sure how eth and btc prices are related other than they are "scary digital currencies" so if BTC drops the others follow suit? That's about the only correlation I've been able to find. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

Still, there is an August 1 "fork" that could cause a crash, so you can either gamble now that the new software will work and buy in at a low, or you can gamble it will crash and wait until after Aug 1 to pick the bones of people like me.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #50
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Eth is on a run. I'm pretty heavily invested in it so go man go!!!!

Looks like there is buy in on the mine side for their new software which seems to be driving BTC price here as well.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitco...oftware-2017-7

I'm not entirely sure how eth and btc prices are related other than they are "scary digital currencies" so if BTC drops the others follow suit? That's about the only correlation I've been able to find. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

Still, there is an August 1 "fork" that could cause a crash, so you can either gamble now that the new software will work and buy in at a low, or you can gamble it will crash and wait until after Aug 1 to pick the bones of people like me.
For most people they have to buy BTC in order to convert to ETH (same with most other alt currencies) so they trade fairly close to one another.

Definitely a run up today but mostly because of the steep drops of the 72 hours before that.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #51
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flaw in the reference Etherium client implementation leads to ~$31M USD of eth being stolen: https://etherscan.io/address/0xb3764...5829cd1ddb4d32

tl;dr: Running untrusted code securely is haaard.

Last edited by ZedMan; 07-19-2017 at 03:44 PM.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #52
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yeah people need to wise up a little bit. Holding millions in digital currencies is the same as cash, you should maybe protect it a little better.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #53
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

I am extremely nervous about these ICO's being a bubble...however, Blockchains for enterprise (smart contracts, distributed ledgers etc)....very interesting.

I'm helping to organize a conference at the University if anyone wants to really nerd out.

Http://Blockchain.mother.co

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #54
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah almost every ICO seems ridiculous to me. I'll keep my ETH instead.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #55
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I am extremely nervous about these ICO's being a bubble...however, Blockchains for enterprise (smart contracts, distributed ledgers etc)....very interesting.

I'm helping to organize a conference at the University if anyone wants to really nerd out.

Http://Blockchain.mother.co
What are the applications for this in industry? I read through Your website and understood none of it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #56
theJuice
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Damn, my bitcoins have really increased in the past little while, was pretty surprised when I checked the value recently.

Ethereum was going up a little bit as well, which was nice.
theJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #57
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

ETH on the move.....high of $470 this AM. Things are looking REAL good for me at the moment!!

It was tough swallowing the losses from the big drop a few weeks ago, but now it's paying off. It's a good day, fellas!
Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #58
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
ETH on the move.....high of $470 this AM. Things are looking REAL good for me at the moment!!

It was tough swallowing the losses from the big drop a few weeks ago, but now it's paying off. It's a good day, fellas!
Noticed that too. I decided to move mine to cold storage so I couldn't impulsively sell. So far so good.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #59
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I also went and put a little money into Monero. I've been reading about it and it seems to be the criminals choice of currency due to its complete anonymity. I'm thinking that once people start realizing a lot of these cryptocurrencies aren't anonymous they would be attracted to Moneros concept. ESPECIALLY the Chinese who seem to be driving a lot of the price as they smuggle money out of the country, and BTC is getting more and more "regulated" over there.

It's a real long term hold so who knows.

https://getmonero.org/
Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #60
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I was thinking about this and I remembered I'd mined some Litecoins a few years ago. Took me a while to find my old wallet file, but I managed to find it. I've got at least 17 Litecoins in it and maybe more, have to wait for the blockchain to download.

Or will the Litecoin wallet show all my transactions right away? It shows my balance as 0, and shows transactions but they're grayed out (I assume because the blockchain hasn't downloaded).

I know I have more mining than those are shown, but I'm kind of worried that I left some on whatever exchange I was using at the time, I was mining a few different ones and converting them to Litecoins before sending them to my wallet. But I'm pretty sure I'd left a bunch on there, and looking back through my password file it looks like I was using an exchange called Cryptsy, which looks like was hacked.

http://www.cryptsysettlement.com/

I wouldn't have had more than a couple of Litecoins there anyway, or maybe even less, lost forever I guess.

But given Litecoin's price, finding almost $1600USD lying around isn't bad lol.

Think I should keep it in Litecoin? Or is the recent price hike a temporary thing and maybe I should convert to something else.

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum