Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2024, 02:45 PM   #6801
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Man, I saw that footage of All In. I don't think it makes hay the way AEW thought it would. I think if they wanted to show it, they should have just posted it on YouTube and said 'here it is, fill your boots' and moved on. No one wins by showing it as part of an angle on Dynamite.

I also think the footage confirms that CM Punk is a meathead who goes into business for himself and can't get along with talent. Truly a carny piece of #### who says one thing ('work with the youth!') and degrades himself to dude-bro carny behavior. If I never see that guy again on TV I'll be elated. Average wrestler, toxic mess.

Here's hoping Levesque has him under control.

I will say, this has really helped Jack Perry's momentum, especially as he has a match with Umino at Windy City Riot. Dude is coming out of his Jungle Express shell in a big way.
The fact that punk can make total strangers hate him tells you everything you need to know about how engaging he is. It is wrestling not synchronized swimming. Feelings are going to get hurt, wrestlers are going to get into fights back stage.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:49 PM   #6802
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Also there are rumors of Rock defending his People's Championship belt. Per https://wrestlingheadlines.com/

Kind of what I figured, they can make it into a Legends belt of some kind. A complete novelty in a sense, but gives part timers a belt they can chase other than the World/Universal belts. In that way it makes complete sense... Provided they have enough legends that have the appetite to return to the ring.
I've always thought a Legends belt would be fun. Part time in nature, and ideally is used for when matches can be actual good matches that Legends prepare for; not just gimmicky in nature like the 24/7 belt was (and what a travesty that was).
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 03:16 PM   #6803
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I've always thought a Legends belt would be fun. Part time in nature, and ideally is used for when matches can be actual good matches that Legends prepare for; not just gimmicky in nature like the 24/7 belt was (and what a travesty that was).
That would be my worry. You need to have wrestlers that can still "go in the ring", you don't want to make it into a joke and have broken down Flair or Foley... or talent that no one cares for.

Some I can think of off the top of my head... Jeff Hardy, Kane, RVD, Big Show, Reigns, Rock, Cena, Batista, Mysterio, Austin, Goldberg, Brock, Lashley, Orton, even Punk himself. Talent that can get over only showing up a few times a year. Like if they announced say Goldberg/Batista in a match at Crown Jewel out of the blue it would still be a draw. It would make for a terrible match, but the novelty has merit.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 03:32 PM   #6804
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The fact that punk can make total strangers hate him tells you everything you need to know about how engaging he is. It is wrestling not synchronized swimming. Feelings are going to get hurt, wrestlers are going to get into fights back stage.

Boy when you read or watch some biographies of old school wrestling locker rooms, its amazing that they've pretty much flushed out the old school kinda karny protect the business mentality.

And some of it for the better, but also when I read up on even modern wrestling, the concept of the dressing room respecting the business and the veterans who were a key part in training seems to be gone.

the day and age of Jericho feeling disrespected by Goldberg in the WWE dressing room and taking him apart, or the story of Koko BeWare going after under taker after a botched tombstone left him 2 inches shorter.

Or receipts.

But I miss a lot of things, I read Rhonda Rousey's interview where she was upset that she didn't get enough rehearsal time. Then thinking about the guys like Flair and Hart and others that wouldn't go into a match with any more then a rough idea of a story, then call the match based on crowd reaction.

Or wrestlers having a rough idea of the point that they wanted to get across in a promo and then going out and just doing it without a script. And if you couldn't do it, you either got a manager or became a Mulkey.

Even down to the little things for me. I loved loved Roman Reigns post wrestlemania press conference where he did it fully in character and booted a reporter.

I don't know if I'm a fan of the workers posting videos of them hanging out with their blood enemy. I remember Dakota Kai and Tegan Nox feuding in NXT and it was great and intense, then you'd see them playing video games together.

It kind of ruins it for me.

I remember during the height of Stampede Wrestling me and my old man used to watch it, and you felt the heat of it, and the suspension of disbelief. My Dad always said that the secret to really enjoying wrestling was to be able to believe the illusion. I think that's gone now. I still remember my Dad ran a business right next to an auto shop that a lot of the Stampede Wrestlers worked at, and he was kinda disappointed that Champagne Gerry Morrow and Doug Moffat were working and laughing together.

I remember my dad would go on the road and when he came home he used to bring me copies of PWI or I think the Observer and they'd have those Kayfabe stories that were complete works of fiction, but it was cool reading about the Freebirds and Von Erichs running into each other in the bar and arrests happening. Or an interview with Paul E Dangerously plotting to expand the Dangerous Alliance.

It was cool in the day when Wrestlers would use different entrances based on if they were heels or faces. Or read about Junkyard Dog being blinded and he would walk around his neighbourhood with his eyes bandaged and using a cane just to carry on the illusion.

So where am I going with this? Hell I don't know. but the kid in me would be looking for a Jack Perry versus CM Punk feud built off of that video. But it will never happen, and really Jack Perry just isn't that good, but he would have gotten a nice bump from it.

Now because the fans got a video that literally is nothing more then a temper tantrum by Tony, that they started cheering for Punk at an AEW show, and if their plan was to bring back Perry as a bitter anti-hero, it'll fall flat he'll come back to the wrong type of heat and get boo'd of the business.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 03:38 PM   #6805
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

I've heard that idea before, and while I loved the idea originally, I got cold to the idea, thinking of these veterans stumbling around the ring in slow motion, unable to do much.

It would be more sad to me then cool.

However if you created a tournament where you bought in lets say two or three veterans and they could draft teams that would compete for them, you could get some interesting dynamics and get the legends involved.

If you had a team with a ultimate heel, and during his matches you could have him constantly cheating and interfering, then the hero comes around the ring and punches him out or they exchange a couple of easy moves, it could be a cool concept. I mean you could even do interesting concepts. What about a tag team tournament with Michael Hayes Jimmy Garvin on one side versus Tully Blanchard and Arn on the others. And they had to draft and manage teams. they could build teams from individuals or preset tag teams.

A brawl between mangers wouldn't be amazing but could be cool and it could create new tag teams or refresh the tag team division.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:45 PM   #6806
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

What you do is create a legends belt...and the criteria is you have to be a former world champion to be eligible to compete for it.

Then it's not just restricted to random old guys that are stumbling around the ring, allows the main event talent not currently in the world title picture to compete for it, and allows those part timers like Cena and The Rock to come back and compete for it.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 03:50 PM   #6807
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
What you do is create a legends belt...and the criteria is you have to be a former world champion to be eligible to compete for it.

Then it's not just restricted to random old guys that are stumbling around the ring, allows the main event talent not currently in the world title picture to compete for it, and allows those part timers like Cena and The Rock to come back and compete for it.
Also, each legends' reputation would be on the line in these matches too. Doubt any of them want to have a bad match as potentially their last moment in front of thousands. As long as it's not treated as a joke, the legends in the match need to legit train and be in decent shape, and they know the work and risk involved with it. If they can't still go on the same level as their opponent or others, they wouldn't be allowed to compete. I love this legends idea, but I want them to have competitive matches too and have these matches taken seriously; thereby the belt is taken seriously. I bet the legends would agree as well.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:57 PM   #6808
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's why I think you need to open it up to current wrestlers who are former World Champions.

Stuff like KO vs Austin, or The Rock in this fued have proven that with the right training and prep a current wrestler and a veteran wrestler can put on a good match.

What you need to avoid are the Goldberg vs Undertaker scenarios where 2 old guys are required to carry a match alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 04:18 PM   #6809
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So where am I going with this? Hell I don't know. but the kid in me would be looking for a Jack Perry versus CM Punk feud built off of that video. But it will never happen, and really Jack Perry just isn't that good, but he would have gotten a nice bump from it.
You should try watching Perry in NJPW.

You - of all people - know that some talent needs to go abroad to cut their teeth. Perry is on his excursion.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 06:51 PM   #6810
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bloodline Civil War... wonder when they will reveal that The Rock will be the on behind it all.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:05 PM   #6811
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Bloodline Civil War... wonder when they will reveal that The Rock will be the on behind it all.
Awesome segment. Will Jimmy and Jey reunite? Rock, Solo, Tonga vs. Roman, Jimmy, and Jey? I wonder who Heyman and possibly Jacob Fatu align with? Again great, longterm storytelling with the Bloodline. You can tell Heyman must be behind much of the booking. I love how fluid the group has been.

That being said, Solo needs to get some wins under his belt and be taken more seriously. He's been on jobber duty for months now. Give him a run as a monster heel, possibly a Tag Title run in their future?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:31 PM   #6812
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have a funny feeling that after that disasterous match between Jimmy and Jey that HHH is going, how the F can twin brothers have no chemistry. and They rush to reunite the brothers.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:15 AM   #6813
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

It isn't that they don't have chemistry. It's that they have the same move set, the same everything.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 04:45 AM   #6814
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Mox beats Naito at WCR to win the IWGP World Heavyweight Title.

Makes him the only man to win the WWE, AEW and NJPW world championships.

Love him or hate him, that's a rare feat and an HoF career.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:28 AM   #6815
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Also, alot of boos for CM Punk in his hometown and big reaction for Perry lol .... This is absolutely going to boost Jack Perry's profile.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:19 AM   #6816
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Also, alot of boos for CM Punk in his hometown and big reaction for Perry lol .... This is absolutely going to boost Jack Perry's profile.
Outside of initial reactions (which IMHO were framed prior to the angle starting or opinions from the IWC) this is the major focus for showing the video, and gaining heat. Lots of chants on either side, but Perry is absolutely getting a major profile from this.

The idea they should just play nice and not use something with a ton of cache would mean they’ll continue to get trounced on. Regardless, this is fun stuff, and long term booking that everyone complains that has been missing.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LIP MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 06:57 PM   #6817
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really interesting interview with Kenny Omega. Sounds like if it weren't for the Bucks, the Punk beef would have probably blown over.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/20...p-with-cm-punk

This was also an interesting quote.

Quote:
I don’t have power, I haven’t had power for more than four years now in that company and I know that’s gonna sound odd because like, well Kenny, you’re an EVP. I’m nothing. I am nothing, and I’ll tell you why, it’s because I’m a terrible EVP. I don’t deserve to be an EVP.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:41 PM   #6818
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Punk and others have said as much. He wanted to make money off of it. Buck's refused to let it go.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:52 PM   #6819
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Punk and others have said as much. He wanted to make money off of it. Buck's refused to let it go.
Yeah, Kenny actually sounds like a decent human, and the only adult in the room.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 09:42 AM   #6820
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The Bucks and Punk should have had their hand forced to make this into an angle. Given time, it probably would have happened. But this was the second time a backstage issue happened for Punk. Too bad, could have been such a great angle.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIP MAN For This Useful Post: