Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #1001
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
well everything in the end comes down to cap space in one way or another of course, I truly believe if they can't get a deal done with Tkachuk or Gaudreau, its not the presence of Blake Coleman that is what killed it
We’ll see but that 5million would be really nice to have right now, I just hope I’m wrong. Coleman has been just OK, if Gaudreau and/or Tkachuk leave because of money then I’m going to be pissed
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #1002
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Perhaps, but if cap space becomes the reason they can’t get them signed then I disagree
They currently have $30 million in cap space for next season.

I realize they have a lot of players to sign to fill out a roster, but cap space won't stop them from re-signing those two long term if they will agree to extend. If they are willing to sign, then they will be signed and then Treliving will work around their new contracts to fill out the roster.

I will say though that I agree the Flames need to stop overspending on depth players. Totally agree with you on that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #1003
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
They currently have $30 million in cap space for next season.

I realize they have a lot of players to sign to fill out a roster, but cap space won't stop them from re-signing those two long term if they will agree to extend. If they are willing to sign, then they will be signed and then Treliving will work around their new contracts to fill out the roster.
Well thats good to know, I guess I’m just frustrated with them not being signed yet. I mean Darryl said it the other day. That line is carrying this team.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #1004
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cap space will have exactly nothing to do with Gaudreau or Tkachuk signing here. It will come down to whether they want to be here. The ball is completely in their court.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #1005
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Johnny turns 29 this summer. I'm not sure you want to give Gaudreau 8 years at $9 million per year. Maybe more. I'm guessing he would re-sign if Calgary gives him that extra 8th year.
I don't think it is the worst idea in the world to make a run for the cup this post season and then let Gaudreau walk for nothing. Take your best shot, thank Johnny for his service and then put all your efforts into getting Tkachuk signed.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #1006
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Cap space will have exactly nothing to do with Gaudreau or Tkachuk signing here. It will come down to whether they want to be here. The ball is completely in their court.
Well Tre must have a sense on wether they want to sign or leave. If they don’t want to be here, they should have been traded already.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #1007
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well Tre must have a sense on wether they want to sign or leave. If they don’t want to be here, they should have been traded already.
One would hope but it is Treliving after all.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #1008
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Johnny turns 29 this summer. I'm not sure you want to give Gaudreau 8 years at $9 million per year. Maybe more. I'm guessing he would re-sign if Calgary gives him that extra 8th year.
I don't think it is the worst idea in the world to make a run for the cup this post season and then let Gaudreau walk for nothing. Take your best shot, thank Johnny for his service and then put all your efforts into getting Tkachuk signed.
I think it is a terrible suggestion you lay out.

If Johnny walks for nothing this team needs to shift heavy to rebuild and get as many futures for Tkachuk as they can
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #1009
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Thank Johnny for his service and let him walk!? Ugh that’s is just gross to me
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 08:53 AM   #1010
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Well, my point was more about going all in for the cup now more than it was about Tkachuk. If management feels it's best to let Gaudreau walk and move Tkachuk for futures, fine by me.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #1011
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Thank Johnny for his service and let him walk!? Ugh that’s is just gross to me
Well if he doesnt want to sign here or just isnt sure right now, there is little that can be done about it at this point.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:57 AM   #1012
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Well if he doesnt want to sign here or just isnt sure right now, there is little that can be done about it at this point.
And that’s on Tre which was my original point, if he walks for nothing just follow him out the door Tre
Old 01-27-2022, 09:00 AM   #1013
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It’s weird because I always believed Gaudreau would sign here and prove all the nah sayers wrong. But I guess I’m starting to get a little nervous
Old 01-27-2022, 09:02 AM   #1014
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
And that’s on Tre which was my original point, if he walks for nothing just follow him out the door Tre
Hey, I agree.

We are a long long way from that point though.

I have little doubt BT is managing for his job this season already which is why he didnt deal JG before the NTC kicked in. It is playoffs or layoffs for him and as such he cannot worry about the long game with this team right now. Human nature to look out for #1 and all that. It would be pretty difficult to see this club as a PO team without Gaudreau this year. Or Tkachuk for that matter.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #1015
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gaudreau chooses to leave, I think the Flames will go very hard after Filip Forsberg to replace him (assuming he also reaches free agency).

Although, I don't see any reason why he would leave Nashville and/or pick Calgary other than the Flames having a little Sweden thing going on here right now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #1016
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Hey, I agree.

We are a long long way from that point though.

I have little doubt BT is managing for his job this season already which is why he didnt deal JG before the NTC kicked in. It is playoffs or layoffs for him and as such he cannot worry about the long game with this team right now. Human nature to look out for #1 and all that. It would be pretty difficult to see this club as a PO team without Gaudreau this year. Or Tkachuk for that matter.
I agree with you as well, those two have been so fun to watch this season. Just wish I wasn’t thinking contract every time they have a good game

Last edited by Gaudreau is a Ninja; 01-27-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #1017
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Great piece this morning from the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3092299/2022...re-in-calgary/
Thanks for posting! It must be tough being a beat reporter when agents/GM's only really talk to national "insiders". Slavian hasn't been here long enough to have insider info. The title is "What we are hearing" then they come at us with....

"It is our understanding that Tkachuk has had some reservations about a long-term extension in Calgary."

and

"Sources say that if Tkachuk can get the deal that he’ll be seeking, and perhaps even the “C,” it may be hard for him to say no."
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 09:09 AM   #1018
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We’ll see but that 5million would be really nice to have right now, I just hope I’m wrong. Coleman has been just OK, if Gaudreau and/or Tkachuk leave because of money then I’m going to be pissed
No matter who plays that position, you wouldn’t have “that $5M”, because you have to pay players something, and you have to fill out a roster.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #1019
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s weird because I always believed Gaudreau would sign here and prove all the nah sayers wrong. But I guess I’m starting to get a little nervous
Don't let the fearmongers get to you. The Flames will sign Gaudreau, there is plenty of time for BT to get the best deal he can and same for Gaudreau's agent. In the end BT will get Johnny signed, even if he has to overpay because he has no other choice at this point. No, letting him walk for nothing is not a choice, that is never going to happen, the GM might as well resign at the same time. I have no doubt the Flames intention is to sign Gaudreau as is Johnny's intentions to stay in Calgary.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #1020
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Heres how it plays out

We keep Johnny thinking we are a contending stanley cup team, we lose in 5 first round, johnny walks for nothing and Tre gets a 5 year extension.
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win