Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2022, 09:41 PM   #921
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny's next contract should be A x B.

Where A and B are years and millions of dollars, respectively as decided by Johnny.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:33 PM   #922
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I wonder what Lindy and Tkachuk"s splits are.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:44 AM   #923
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serivali would be surprised if Johnny got a deal starting with a 9 for cap hit. I think it will be crazy awesome if they can get him lower but I doubt it.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #924
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Serivali would be surprised if Johnny got a deal starting with a 9 for cap hit. I think it will be crazy awesome if they can get him lower but I doubt it.
He's suggesting less than 9? Wow, but I don't buy it.

Lots of people on here ready to go to 11 per. I'd go to 10 I guess and ask nicely if he can play this well in non contract years too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #925
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If you have enough signing bonuses and front loaded salaries (within the parameters of the CBA), going to 8 years allows you to lower the cap hit a bit.

Not sure if you can get it below 9, but 72 million over 8 years certainly isn't an insulting starting point if you end up with 50 million in the first 4 years as an example
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:01 AM   #926
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would go

Year 1 — 12m
Year 2 — 12m
Year 3 — 12m
Year 4 — 8m
Year 5 — 8m
Year 6 — 8m
Year 7 — 6m
Year 8 — 6m

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 08:04 AM   #927
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I would go

Year 1 — 12m
Year 2 — 12m
Year 3 — 12m
Year 4 — 8m
Year 5 — 8m
Year 6 — 8m
Year 7 — 6m
Year 8 — 6m
So would I but is that your walk away price if you're the Flames?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:07 AM   #928
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

No, I'd go up to eight figures, probably. It's 2022 — I have no problem with the Flames paying Gaudreau $10 million per season. They paid Iginla $7 million on a $39.5 million cap — proportionally speaking, Gaudreau getting $10m on an $82.5 million cap isn't really that much.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #929
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He's suggesting less than 9? Wow, but I don't buy it.

Lots of people on here ready to go to 11 per. I'd go to 10 I guess and ask nicely if he can play this well in non contract years too.
Anything under 9 will be the miracle of miracles for a GM who has had wizard status in the past. But I would say that is impossible to ever happen.

Gaudreau is one of the very few players in the league I can see being worth an 8 year deal at age 29 for the majority of it. Either way he's getting paid a large sum. The only question is if it's 7 years as a UFA, or 8 with the Flames. I believe the total sum will be the same regardless of the situation.

So if he's getting paid either way, I just hope it's with us. He's having a helluva season to prove his worth, and I think he can do it repeatedly going forward.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #930
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

We've seen Johnny have years like this when money wasn't on the line. Sure, he's in a contract year, but it's not like he's producing at a level hitherto unseen.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #931
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's not like the contract year is a new thing or singular to Gaudreau either, it's a thing, it happens, you understand it and get the contract done. Gaudreau's played like this before, this isn't like Nazem Kadri who's three years older and have far and away his best stretch offensive hockey before hitting UFA

Last edited by FormerPresJamesTaylor; 01-25-2022 at 08:19 AM.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #932
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Needs to be in Hart conversation if he keeps this up and the Flames make the playoffs. He has put the team on his back this year.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:28 AM   #933
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
It's not like the contract year is a new thing or singular to Gaudreau either, it's a thing, it happens, you understand it and get the contract done. Gaudreau's played like this before, this isn't like Nazem Kadri who's three years older and have far and away his best stretch offensive hockey before hitting UFA
He has had one year where his point production was similar, the last two he was quite a bit less than a point per game. And IMO we have never seen this kind of complete game and compete level from him. Some credit goes to Sutter for sure. But is he also being signed for 8 years?

I agree he's not a Kadri, but he's not getting an 8 year deal either.

IMO you can't pay any player based on tehri best season, not when they will be turning 29 years old.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #934
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
IMO you can't pay any player based on tehri best season, not when they will be turning 29 years old.
Sorry but that's the reality of the situation isn't it?

Quote:
He has had one year where his point production was similar, the last two he was quite a bit less than a point per game. And IMO we have never seen this kind of complete game and compete level from him. Some credit goes to Sutter for sure. But is he also being signed for 8 years?
Kadri? No but he's three years older. If I was a betting man his contract will end at a higher age than Gaudreau's will.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #935
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

8 years is our competitive advantage in terms of reducing cap hit. Why do you want to kneecap the teams only remaining competitive negotiation point outside of familiarity (and that could go either way)?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #936
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny has 542pts in 557 games which is good for 0.97ppg in his career. This is a large sample size to show he is elite offensively.

Thanks to extensions by others he is currently the top free agent by far on the market. His price is going up based on the fact he is the cream of the crop of difference makers available this offseason.

He will get 7 years from someone so if the Flames need to go 8 to lock it in now that would be great.

If Johnny would go 9.5x8 I wonder if Tkachuk would consider the same?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #937
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
8 years is our competitive advantage in terms of reducing cap hit. Why do you want to kneecap the teams only remaining competitive negotiation point outside of familiarity (and that could go either way)?
I meant Kadri not getting an 8 year deal. I'm definitely doing that with Gaudreau.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #938
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think $9.5M x 8 would get it done.

I have a feeling Treliving is being stubborn and is trying to keep it around $8.5M, which is asking for too much of a discount.

1) $10M
2) $10M
3) $12M
4) $12M
5) $12M
6) $8M
7) $6M
8) $6M
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #939
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Is it a contract year? Yes, but he's just shy of a 1 p/gp career average, and he's had better seasons (p/gp-wise) than this one in non-contract years.

I think a much better reason for this return-to-form is that this is the first real coach he's played for since Jerry York.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #940
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don’t think he wants to stay. If he did, he would have signed already. Free agents aren’t lining up to come to Calgary. I’d make him an offer for the top end of what he’s likely to get on the open market, and if he doesn’t take it, trade him before we lose him for nothing. The team isn’t going anywhere this season anyway.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win