Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #901
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Johnny signs an 8 year deal he will have a lot of alll time franchise records in his site. He has the chance to be the best player to wear the jersey
I suspect he would be productive in 6 or 7 of those years too.

Elite vision that doesn't rely heavily on speed has a slow decline.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 02:05 PM   #902
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Agreed he has a shot at having his jersey in the rafters which I’m sure he is weighing a bit. I could see him sign if the team has a deep run, 3rd round or bust.

Otherwise getting him to stay is going to be immensely difficult I think. Especially with no arena on the horizon.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:53 PM   #903
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy wife, happy life. Assuming Treliving is willing to pay, and Johnny likes Calgary, then it will all rest on keeping Mrs Gaudreau happy
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #904
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I suspect he would be productive in 6 or 7 of those years too.

Elite vision that doesn't rely heavily on speed has a slow decline.
And it’s not overly taxing on the body. Johnny has been very durable for a reason. Most of his injuries have been the result of slashing on his hands.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #905
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
If Jay Feaster did one thing right, it was winning over Jane Gaudreau and the Gaudreau family.

Quote:
I remember the day when John was drafted by the Flames. He was playing in a AAA hockey summer tournament with all of his friends that my husband runs every year. Someone ran over to the bench and said something to Guy (who was coaching). All the kids started banging their sticks on the ice. I was in the bleachers, at the other end, thinking “what is going on?” Guy yelled over to me to tell me John was drafted. I said "where?" and he yelled out "Calgary." Again, I said "where?" and he repeated "Calgary." I didn’t know much about Calgary other than the Olympics were there and it was very far away. I immediately started to cry. One of the other mothers came over and said, "oh my gosh, you’re crying … you must be so happy!" I said "no, I’m crying because it’s so far away!"

I didn’t exactly know where Calgary was but I did know it wasn’t near any of the other Canadian cities where we played youth hockey, like Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa. Immediately, I looked it up on my phone and saw it was 2,363 miles away. I was so upset.

A couple of days after the Draft, the biggest bouquet of flowers I have ever seen in my life was delivered to our house. They were from Jay Feaster, who was the Flames’ general manager at the time, and card attached that read, "Jane, welcome to the Flames family. PS: Calgary isn’t that far away." I don’t know how Mr. Feaster knew I was so upset but that gesture meant so much to me.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/for-...dreau/c-881959

Jane and Guy Gaudreau are hockey royalty in this city and deserve to be with how they’ve embraced the city and Johnny playing here.
Is she unaware that her son's name is actually Johnny?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 03:07 PM   #906
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Philly similar to Calgary?

They have lost 11 in a row, lack any young top end talent, and currently sit 28th in the league and 14 points out of a playoff spot.

They’ve also played the 3rd most games in the league. They are a bottom feeder in desperate need of a rebuild. Their moves this summer only hurt them more.
Their biggest move was to bring in a top pairing defenceman, and he’s been injured all season.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 03:23 PM   #907
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Their biggest move was to bring in a top pairing defenceman, and he’s been injured all season.

Ellis is a fine top 4 defenseman, but he is 31 already. If having him out of the line up sinks your team to the basement of the league then you likely have much bigger issues to deal with.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #908
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
One of the biggest advantages the Flames have is the ability to offer 8 years, however on the flip side, Treliving has yet to sign anyone to an 8 year deal.
To keep Johnny he will almost certainly have to use that 8th year and it's definitely a helpful card to be able to play. At Johnny's age, this will be his last big contract, so it could definitely play a significant part in his decision.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:39 AM   #909
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
So for next year if we can dump these UFAs:

Pitlick - $1.75M
Zadorov - $3.75M
Gudbrandson - $1.95M

That's $7.45M there to play with and maybe give $4-$5M to Gaudreau and use the rest for Vallimaki and plugs.

Can we then wait for Monahan's $6.375M and Lucic's $5.25M to expire after next year to sign Tkachuk after his RFA? That's $11.625M in cap that comes back after Monahan and Lucic come off the books.
there is also Brouwer's $1.5M that ends after this season so even more.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #910
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
So for next year if we can dump these UFAs:

Pitlick - $1.75M
Zadorov - $3.75M
Gudbrandson - $1.95M

That's $7.45M there to play with and maybe give $4-$5M to Gaudreau and use the rest for Vallimaki and plugs.

Can we then wait for Monahan's $6.375M and Lucic's $5.25M to expire after next year to sign Tkachuk after his RFA? That's $11.625M in cap that comes back after Monahan and Lucic come off the books.
Actually, the amount will be significantly less than $7.45M.

Those 3 skaters will need to be replaced by at the very least, league minimum skaters. So that’ll be $2ish million. Monahan will almost assuredly need to be bought out for all the big contracts that need to be signed this offseason. So add an additional $2M in dead cap. Then you have to replace Monahan with at the very least, a league minimum skater. I’m not sure there’s enough cap savings obtained from a Lucic buyout to make it worth while due to the nature of his contract, so that’s a shame.

So anyways, as you can see, that $7.45M turned into roughly $2M pretty quickly there. Also, Mangiapane and Tkachuk will be UFAs in 2023. So it would be wise for Treliving to extend them rather then let them walk to free agency in one year’s time, in which case, this team will need all the cap space they can find. Also, Kylington exploding like he has makes cap management even more difficult this summer.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:14 PM   #911
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Actually, the amount will be significantly less than $7.45M.

Those 3 skaters will need to be replaced by at the very least, league minimum skaters. So that’ll be $2ish million. Monahan will almost assuredly need to be bought out for all the big contracts that need to be signed this offseason. So add an additional $2M in dead cap. Then you have to replace Monahan with at the very least, a league minimum skater. I’m not sure there’s enough cap savings obtained from a Lucic buyout to make it worth while due to the nature of his contract, so that’s a shame.

So anyways, as you can see, that $7.45M turned into roughly $2M pretty quickly there. Also, Mangiapane and Tkachuk will be UFAs in 2023. So it would be wise for Treliving to extend them rather then let them walk to free agency in one year’s time, in which case, this team will need all the cap space they can find. Also, Kylington exploding like he has makes cap management even more difficult this summer.
But if you buy Monahan out, while you are adding dead cap you are also subtracting the rest of his contract. If you replaced him with around league minimum or a little more, you are adding $3M but saving $3.5 after that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:24 PM   #912
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
But if you buy Monahan out, while you are adding dead cap you are also subtracting the rest of his contract. If you replaced him with around league minimum or a little more, you are adding $3M but saving $3.5 after that.
That's correct. Was going to add that his cap savings alone could afford the team 6 league minimum contracts to fill out the rest of the roster once all the big ticket signings are signed. Not sure what management's thoughts are on a longer term contract for Kylington, but looks like Mangiapane's won't be as expensive as once thought with his recent offensive struggles.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #913
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There is more of a reluctance for the Flames to buy out contracts these days and then spend to the cap (with spending more on actual dollars than cap). It was one of the reasons why the Lucic/Neal was so palatable to them at the time, as it saved quite a bit of actual dollars.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:30 PM   #914
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading between the lines with what some of Johnny's family has said on social media I'm pretty sure that Johnny has a price in mind and if Treliving hits that price he will stay.

Coming into the season I think the number Johnny wanted was $9.5M...but would be interesting to see if that's gone up based on how well his season has went.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:33 PM   #915
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've imagined for some time that if we extended him the number would be around 9.5 AAV.

If keeping it under 10 means giving him full term/8 years, then so be it. I'm all for having Gaudreau a career Flames and watching him break all the franchise records

The great thing if it ends up being around that number will be boasting about how much better value it is over Nurse's contract for years to come, despite Johnny being older.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 03:38 PM   #916
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny on an 8x9.5 is a mighty fair deal for both sides. That is the going rate for top end wingers. Kucherov, and Stone are 2 that come to mind that signed that deal. Johnny has been the franchise player since he was a rookie here. If he stays for 8 more years he will break many of the all-time franchise records.

There was a point after the World Cup that I thought Johnny was going to be in the same class as the other top players of this generation. This year he has been amazing all around there hasn’t been a thing I can complain about when it comes to Johnny. He wants to win, he is easy to coach (Sutter’s words) and he is our best player. 9.5 would be a great great deal
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #917
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Johnny on an 8x9.5 is a mighty fair deal for both sides. That is the going rate for top end wingers. Kucherov, and Stone are 2 that come to mind that signed that deal. Johnny has been the franchise player since he was a rookie here. If he stays for 8 more years he will break many of the all-time franchise records.

There was a point after the World Cup that I thought Johnny was going to be in the same class as the other top players of this generation. This year he has been amazing all around there hasn’t been a thing I can complain about when it comes to Johnny. He wants to win, he is easy to coach (Sutter’s words) and he is our best player. 9.5 would be a great great deal
The only reason Johnny isn't thought of on the same tier as Kucherov is he spent his best years stapled to average linemates

If Gaudreau is drafted by TB and Kuch by CGY... Johnny has multiple 100+ point seasons and is compared to Patrick Kane. Kucherov would be a 60-70 point player with Monahan and AHL trash

Johnny is one of the top 3 most talented players to play for this franchise. It's a shame the GM is so awful
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #918
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
There is more of a reluctance for the Flames to buy out contracts these days and then spend to the cap (with spending more on actual dollars than cap). It was one of the reasons why the Lucic/Neal was so palatable to them at the time, as it saved quite a bit of actual dollars.
I’m not advocating a buyout (or not advocating), just saying in that hypothetical there was some missing calculation.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:59 PM   #919
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1485823160431755266

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 09:39 PM   #920
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine his agent has those numbers close at hand.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win