Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #2021
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Flyers are going to back up the Brinks truck for him. Maybe the Devils too.
Flyers have a lot of cap maneuvering to do to offer Johnny the same money Calgary will
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #2022
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
It all depends on if you feel there is a better candidate.

But Tre has had his shot. Probably time for someone else to bring something new.
Unlike many who have treated this series with Dallas like it was a best of 3 and we lost the whole thing last night I am still feeling good about winning this series so this team still has their shot this year
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 03:18 PM   #2023
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Unlike many who have treated this series with Dallas like it was a best of 3 and we lost the whole thing last night I am still feeling good about winning this series so this team still has their shot this year
Sure, I mean May 9, 2022 could be the magic day where they finally figure it all out.

Anything is possible.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #2024
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Both of those guys were discussed for weeks here, with a vast majority saying they were just the thing needed, and some saying they were so good that they must have been Sutter picks and not Treliving’s.

Wheeler has the Flames ranked right in the middle for prospect pools. And Wolf is now a top 5 prospect in some rankings.
The version of playoffs Toffoli that played for LA and Montreal in the past is still exactly what this team needs. Bringing in Toffoli isn't a move that looks bad on Treliving. He just hasn't looked anything like that version of himself yet in these playoffs and that's definitely hurting the team.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:46 PM   #2025
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
Sure, I mean May 9, 2022 could be the magic day where they finally figure it all out.

Anything is possible.
You talk like this is the Colorado series where they are clearly being outclassed. The Flames dropped 2 games they could have won. I think if they win tomorrow the momentum swings back in their favor where they need to win 2 of 3 with 2 games being at home.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #2026
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You talk like this is the Colorado series where they are clearly being outclassed. The Flames dropped 2 games they could have won. I think if they win tomorrow the momentum swings back in their favor where they need to win 2 of 3 with 2 games being at home.
You are who your record says you are.

Also, you can't tell me there hasn't been a significant decline in the quality of play from this team. It's enormous.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #2027
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are still the odds favourite to win the series on betting sites. - although pretty close to 50/50 odds now
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #2028
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flyers have a lot of cap maneuvering to do to offer Johnny the same money Calgary will
It's not that difficult to do. They have players they can move for picks and prospects, and there would be takers. In fact, if they signed Gaudreau, the Flames could be takers.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:18 PM   #2029
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I'm sure Gaudreau is just dying to get out of Calgary so he can go to a proven winner like Philly.
I'd put money on it. Flyers would break the bank for a hometown star to replace Giroux, Johnny gets to play at home, doesn't have to worry about a hockey obsessed sports media, and doesn't have to worry about the pressure of playoff hockey for at least a few years. I think he jumps at the chance
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:21 PM   #2030
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Flyers are going to back up the Brinks truck for him. Maybe the Devils too.
Given his lack of playoff performance These next two games will +\- 1-2 million per year on Johnny and Tkathud”s contracts.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:23 PM   #2031
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
Given his lack of playoff performance These next two games will +\- 1-2 million per year on Johnny and Tkathud”s contracts.
I don't think $'s will be taken off, but rather term.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #2032
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I don't think $'s will be taken off, but rather term.
Agreed. It won’t be as lucrative if they fail out in the first round… again.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:51 PM   #2033
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'd put money on it. Flyers would break the bank for a hometown star to replace Giroux, Johnny gets to play at home, doesn't have to worry about a hockey obsessed sports media, and doesn't have to worry about the pressure of playoff hockey for at least a few years. I think he jumps at the chance
I really don't get this. Owners really, really, really want playoffs because the players are volunteers and the owners get to keep virtually all the game revenue.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:56 PM   #2034
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's not that difficult to do. They have players they can move for picks and prospects, and there would be takers. In fact, if they signed Gaudreau, the Flames could be takers.
So they are subtracting from their already terrible team to bring in Johnny? Sounds like a greet situation to go to. Come in as the hometown savior with that fanbase and that team minus Konecny, Provorov, and/or Farabee who are likely the players they can move easily to free up cap space.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:10 PM   #2035
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Philadelphia fans are known to be very relaxed
Old 05-08-2022, 05:19 PM   #2036
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Flyers fans are definitely gonna crucify Johnny if he has a lackluster playoffs for them
Old 05-08-2022, 05:25 PM   #2037
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good thing is they could throw AA batteries at him.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #2038
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I love a little Tre bashing but this year he deserves credit for putting together a good regular season team. I don't blame him at all for the Toffoli deal, as it was relatively cheap. Where I blame him completely was last off-season. The core three of Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau was clearly not sized for the playoffs, based on totally getting dominated each year before. It was clear as day. Having said that, Gaudreau's regular season really was special and came out of nowhere. And he's shown me he should be part of the core, but as your second option, much like Marner is for the Leafs. Can't expect a guy not particularly strong and undersized, to be your first option. So what's his appropriate cost given where he'll contribute in the future? I'd say ~$8.5M.

Tkachuk really does have a unique skillset, but at this point I'd dangle him at the draft in a sign and trade scenario. Would Ottawa like the guy to play with his brother? Perfect.

This team has a very average defence core and is limited on high end talent, and that high end talent and high end defence can really only be acquired through the draft. It's a very very tough place to be right now.

Additionally, how they move on from Monahan will be extraordinarily key for how they spend money in the future. They absolutely cannot be giving out crazy contracts so guys stay in the city. If Gaudreau wants the world ($11M+), let him walk.
Toffoli and Jarnkrok were not cheap. We basically traded the whole draft for them.

It’s hindsight but the results speak for itself. They are terrible players that hurt more than help the team.

At the end of the day, if Johnny and Tkachuk walk, so will Treliving. The team he built as we know it is gone. New guy comes in for rebuild. He had 8 yrs.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #2039
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the last two uninterrupted non-covid seasons the Flames have finished with 107 and 111 points.

Those are the 2nd and 3rd best point totals in this franchises history, and some of you want to get rid of the GM that built those teams?

Sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me, but whatever floats your boat.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 06:05 PM   #2040
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
In the last two uninterrupted non-covid seasons the Flames have finished with 107 and 111 points.

Those are the 2nd and 3rd best point totals in this franchises history, and some of you want to get rid of the GM that built those teams?

Sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me, but whatever floats your boat.
Nobody cares about the regular season. Nor should they.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win