Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 12:37 AM   #441
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
Crushing defeat. Just crushing.

I stick by my post that the Game 2 SHG is the one that killed us. Score on that PP and we probably have a 2-2 series coming home for Game 5. PP failure has been a major story line for the Flames.

Watched tonight from a sports bar in downtown Toronto. More Flames fans than Oilers fans for sure. Even the CN Tower was lit red and yellow tonight. Felt like everything was in the Flames favour, til they found a way to lose.
Wow. Wonder who got the CN Tower lit up in Flames colors, that’s awesome.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:39 AM   #442
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You have to figure out a way to take game 5, but if you do, there's a ####ton of pressure on Edmonton at home to close it out.

If Smith choked tonight under rather light/easy circumstances, you have to imagine what he'd be like with the weight of needing to close it out looming and the Flames pushing for that 7th game back at home.

One shift, period, and game at a time.

Just play the right way. The last two periods were just fine. Outscored them 3-2 (essentially 3-1). Keep that going and it will lead to success.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:39 AM   #443
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It ain't over. This is the Oilers remember. The tears of Edmonton fans will just be that much sweeter when they lose three straight elimination games.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:40 AM   #444
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Nothing but respect and no questions to ask. The shtick grows old. If someone’s digging a little deeper into Markstrom on a game by game or goal by goal basis, “but GAA lol” is weak and tiresome.

You’re better than that, right? Beat a new drum.

I don’t fully understand this post, but in case you don’t know, I believe I pissed off Bingo one night in March 3 years ago by itemizing goals in a 6-3 loss in context, where I argued that sv% doesn’t tell the whole story and looking, goal by goal as to how stoppable it is, trumps high level stats any and every day

It’s been a consistent view of mine

But when it’s 5 games in a row, at some point statistical abnormalities must be reevaluated too, right?

That’s how statistics / confidence intervals etc. work
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:40 AM   #445
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
A team has already done it this playoffs (granted the turning point was a huge one) and Sutter has done it before, so it's not completely out of tbe realm of possibility.
Statistically it can happen 2 times in the playoffs. 3 teams did it in 1992 and 2 teams did it in 2003. Statistics show its an absolute inomoly for it to happen. The 5 stages of grief playing out . First is denial. I went through all 5 in game 3 . I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong but history does repeat itself.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:42 AM   #446
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Statistics just tell you probabilities

Actual events create data points that get lumped in to the statistics and update the probabilities
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:48 AM   #447
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah the Flames were all over the Oilers after that goal...Oilers got one chance and the Flames player at the net made a terrible mistake.
We must have been watching a different game because despite having some zone time, they didn't generate to much quality after that. I also felt like the Flames got very little on net, lots of perimeter play, blocked shots, missed nets. They also seem to be really having trouble gaining body position in front of the net, little to no secondary bounces/tap ins, cause they are being boxed out very well. They need to find a way in that moment when you know a goalie is shook, but it didn't seem to materialize in any meaningful way.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:49 AM   #448
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames are actually the underdogs now, everyone thinks it's over. A game 5 win could put some pressure on the Oilers. They have beat them 3 straight once this year already.
Well.. in 2019 we beat the Avalanche for basically 5 seasons and all the games in 2019 but still lost 4-1 in the playoffs....
Old 05-25-2022, 12:50 AM   #449
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Actual events create data points that get lumped in to the statistics and update the probabilities
Someone flipped a coin a million times and it was 50/50. But I flipped one and lost 3/4 times. Therefore my coin is unclutch and put together poorly. I’ll trade it.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:50 AM   #450
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Appreciate the upbeat thoughts but science usually wins out.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:56 AM   #451
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sutter has come back from worse than this before.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:03 AM   #452
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Sutter has come back from worse than this before.
Wouldn't count on that tho . 2014 kings were 1 of 4 teams to have ever pulled it off since 1942.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:04 AM   #453
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post

I had a great time this season, it was fun. Went to a bunch of games, saw a lot of wins, went to my second ever playoff game and first one I remember, watched a lot of meaningful hockey with my dad...it was great. The payoff of being a fan is always worth the "heartbreak" that's not really true heartbreak, it should be an easy balance to strike for any well-adjusted adult. Even if the Flames win the cup it changes my life 0%, the value-add is having a hometown team that adds to the entertainment of my life. That's like 95% of my mindset around being a fan, but yeah the other 5 would be evaluating realistically how the franchise performs, what i think they should do, how i'd handle the roster, etc. So in that vein, I guess I am disappointed by their playoff performance for yet another year because, well, how could you not. By any objective measure its not good. And the fact that that this is unfortunately tied for the best season in 18 years doesnt make it any less disappointing. If anything i think the people that weirdly insist on "positivity" in the face of well, reality, are the ones who maybe take things a little too seriously and personally.

Positive people are the worst!
Old 05-25-2022, 01:13 AM   #454
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Someone flipped a coin a million times and it was 50/50. But I flipped one and lost 3/4 times. Therefore my coin is unclutch and put together poorly. I’ll trade it.

Sorry you got a bum coin!

(19 times out of 20)
Old 05-25-2022, 01:34 AM   #455
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They gotta win game 5...if they do they have a chance to force game 7 at home
Old 05-25-2022, 01:36 AM   #456
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could have used some Bread, Coleman and Toffolli magic tonight.

And Chucky and Gaudreau.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 05-25-2022 at 01:39 AM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:37 AM   #457
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They gotta win game 5...if they do they have a chance to force game 7 at home
Yup that’s about all now.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:20 AM   #458
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I saw Markström was playing, I decided there's no point in waking up early to watch us lose again.

I don't get what Sutter is doing there. Markström has been terrible this series, and the signs were already there in regular season games against the Oilers.

With .900 goaltending we'd up up 3-1 instead of down, and we do have another goalie who could take a crack at it. With the way Markström has been playing, we're lucky the Oilers weren't ready to start game 1 or we'd already be swept.

Last edited by Itse; 05-25-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:22 AM   #459
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
When I saw Markström was playing, I decided there's no point in waking up early to watch us lose again.

I don't get what Sutter is doing there. Markström has been terrible this series, and the signs were already there in regular season games against the Oilers.

With .900 goaltending we'd up up 3-1 instead of down, and we do have another goalie who could take a crack at it. With the way Markström has been playing, we're lucky the Oilers weren't ready to start game 1 or we'd already be swept.
I think the flames felt that markstrom could play out of it. They knew if he didn't that there would be very little chance of winning this series.

If they knew that markstrom would not be the answer them in sure they would have made a different plan. But hindsight is hindsight.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:23 AM   #460
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
I don't even know anymore with this team.

I think it's just better for my mental health to skip the next game all together and just see the final score.
May as well. No point watching until a game seven is forced.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote