Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #1021
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No matter who plays that position, you wouldn’t have “that $5M”, because you have to pay players something, and you have to fill out a roster.
Yes but it didn’t have to be a 30 year old on a long multi year contract, I don’t even care about Coleman anymore. Just sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk already
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1

Last edited by Gaudreau is a Ninja; 01-27-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #1022
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Heres how it plays out

We keep Johnny thinking we are a contending stanley cup team, we lose in 5 first round, johnny walks for nothing and Tre gets a 5 year extension.
Please no
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #1023
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nothing I want more than Gaudreau to sign here long term, been advocating it in a few threads recently but if Treliving lets another valuable asset walk into UFA.. what a disaster.

This deal should be done by now, it takes two to tango but IMO Gaudreau wants to be here.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #1024
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Heres how it plays out

We keep Johnny thinking we are a contending stanley cup team, we lose in 5 first round, johnny walks for nothing and Tre gets a 5 year extension.
And then you and the rest of team Negativity rejoice in the misery of it all and make CP totally intolerable with your agenda. Not going to happen but you can dream right?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #1025
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Nothing I want more than Gaudreau to sign here long term, been advocating it in a few threads recently but if Treliving lets another valuable asset walk into UFA.. what a disaster.

This deal should be done by now, it takes two to tango but IMO Gaudreau wants to be here.
Who would all these players Tre let walk be? Thanks in advance, looking forward to your answer.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 09:22 AM   #1026
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Who is being negative?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:24 AM   #1027
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
And then you and the rest of team Negativity rejoice in the misery of it all and make CP totally intolerable with your agenda. Not going to happen but you can dream right?
Naw man we've just seen this before no? I really really hope I'm wrong just a feeling based on precedent
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #1028
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Yes but it didn’t have to be a 30 year old on a long multi year contract, I don’t even care about Coleman anymore. Just sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk already
For a decent middle six forward, which is where Coleman slots, you are looking at $3M minimum. If that’s the difference, the team couldn’t afford those guys anyway.

There are a bunch of tams that have made the mistake of using cheap depth players because they have to pay 2 guys. It tends not to work.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:36 AM   #1029
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Who would all these players Tre let walk be? Thanks in advance, looking forward to your answer.
Brodie is really the only guy that comes to mind. Luckily he was replaced in free agency and internally.

Hamonic cost a pretty penny for 3 seasons but he likely had no value at the deadline in 20.

There is no internal or external replacement for Johnny though.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #1030
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a big Brodie fan (not THE BigBrodieFan), but he was replaceable. And was replaced by Tanev for the same money.

The conversation only really matters with respect to elite players - what high end players have walked from the Flames at free agency?

If Brodie is our worst example, we are in damn good shape (no disrespect to him)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #1031
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
First of all don't condolence to me, ass.

Second of all the answer is TJ Brodie and Travis Harmonic, the next would be Gaudreau. We can debate the value of each asset as obviously they're wildly different but that would be the third guy in as many years to walk for absolutely nothing. Three players who we need their situation well in advance and there players that Treliving couldn't sign or get value out of.

People are going to dismiss Harmonic as having value but at the trade deadline he does, he even was rumoured to nix a deal out of Vancouver lats year. The Canucks could still get value out of him this trade deadline three years after we lost him.

TJ Brodie was totally mismanaged and ended up signing with the team we tried to trade him to. He had big value and Treliving bumbled it. Losing Gaudreau for nothing would be a disaster.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #1032
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Don't let the fearmongers get to you. The Flames will sign Gaudreau, there is plenty of time for BT to get the best deal he can and same for Gaudreau's agent. In the end BT will get Johnny signed, even if he has to overpay because he has no other choice at this point. No, letting him walk for nothing is not a choice, that is never going to happen, the GM might as well resign at the same time. I have no doubt the Flames intention is to sign Gaudreau as is Johnny's intentions to stay in Calgary.
I admire that you are rigid in your beliefs but what Treliving wants no longer matters as this all comes down to do with what the Gaudreau camp wants as they hold all the leverage now. Nobody really knows where he's leaning but if he decides to go close to home there is nothing Treliving or the Flames can do about it. Outside of some massive 8 year contract offer that not even teams like the Flyers will match, Gaudreau's future is out of Treliving's hands.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 09:57 AM   #1033
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all don't condolence to me, ass.

Second of all the answer is TJ Brodie and Travis Harmonic, the next would be Gaudreau. We can debate the value of each asset as obviously they're wildly different but that would be the third guy in as many years to walk for absolutely nothing. Three players who we need their situation well in advance and there players that Treliving couldn't sign or get value out of.

People are going to dismiss Harmonic as having value but at the trade deadline he does, he even was rumoured to nix a deal out of Vancouver lats year. The Canucks could still get value out of him this trade deadline three years after we lost him.

TJ Brodie was totally mismanaged and ended up signing with the team we tried to trade him to. He had big value and Treliving bumbled it. Losing Gaudreau for nothing would be a disaster.
Well, Treliving put a good trade in place for Brodie. If that's your #1 example, you don't have much of a case.

And if Hamonic is your #2 example...
Old 01-27-2022, 09:58 AM   #1034
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The conversation only really matters with respect to elite players - what high end players have walked from the Flames at free agency?)
Disagree completely. Brodie was rumoured to be part of a package or Kadri the summer previous. That deal fell through and nothing else was done. Then he leftt and we got nothing for him. Nice that Tanev was brought in but having nothing to show for Brodie was a mistake.

That alone sucks but having three valuable players leave for nothing (Brodie, Hamonic and Gaudreau in this summer) in a relatively small time frame is a poor look for a GM, especially with the price he paid for Travis
Old 01-27-2022, 10:01 AM   #1035
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Gaudreau hasn't left.

People are trying to claim this is an ongoing problem for the Flames. There is no case for that.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:01 AM   #1036
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well, Treliving put a good trade in place for Brodie. If that's your #1 example, you don't have much of a case.

And if Hamonic is your #2 example...
And didn't put in another...and he walked for nothing a year later and yes, Hamonic is.

If Gaudreau is added to that list it becomes incredibly note worthy. I'm not sweating just Brodie and Harmonic, I'm saying if you had a legit star player to those two in a small time frame is a massive failure but the General Manager.

The dismissive and condescending tone (from the original reply) is just childish
Old 01-27-2022, 10:03 AM   #1037
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
but if Treliving lets another valuable asset walk into UFA.. what a disaster. .
Quote:
Well Gaudreau hasn't left..
There you go, highlighted a word that seems to have been missed in my initial post.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #1038
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And didn't put in another...and he walked for nothing a year later and yes, Hamonic is.

If Gaudreau is added to that list it becomes incredibly note worthy. I'm not sweating just Brodie and Harmonic, I'm saying if you had a legit star player to those two in a small time frame is a massive failure but the General Manager.

The dismissive and condescending tone (from the original reply) is just childish
So we agree that it hasn't been the systemic problem that some people are claiming it to be.

Cool.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #1039
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was a big Brodie fan (not THE BigBrodieFan), but he was replaceable. And was replaced by Tanev for the same money.

The conversation only really matters with respect to elite players - what high end players have walked from the Flames at free agency?

If Brodie is our worst example, we are in damn good shape (no disrespect to him)
How many elite players have the Flames had? They have had 2 at most since Iggy left and those are the 2 guys this thread is about. I guess Gio was elite but he also was lost for nothing (albeit no one would disagree that was the wrong call to let him go)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #1040
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So we agree that it hasn't been the systemic problem that some people are claiming it to be.
We agree on a point I never made nor was advocating? Yeah, cool.

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win