Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2023, 11:22 AM   #801
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Nobody gets on the pay no mind list faster than those who constantly use their "clever" little nicknames; 'Vid, the Rona, the jab, Nutley, Turdope, Mcdiver etc... all just terrible. And makes you frankly sound so...dumb, that and/ or a Qanon.

We were all away for a family vacation in early April, half of us came home with Covid, including the Mother In Law who got it for the first time. My wife who had avoided it until Dec '22 got it again. Nothing more then mild cold like symptoms for anyone.
Followed very closely by the people who complain about said nickname.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #802
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard "the 'Rona", but only from Albertans.

I don't care if people call it 'Rona or 'Vid or whatever. Calling it a mancold or even calling it 'just a flu' I'm not a big fan of because it kind of washes over the vascular and neurological impacts of covid that are totally unlike just getting a cold, but I'm not taking that as the intent of RichieRich.

In the broader context, it's the politicization of the virus and how it gets treated within the whole North American Left vs Right ideological conflict that's annoying, not really whatever nickname someone wants to call it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:58 PM   #803
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

My whole family is currently down with the Beaver Lumber virus, via our preschooler.

Thankfully we've had every possible jab to date, but it still feels pretty crappy.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:32 PM   #804
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I believe I still have some rapid tests around here somewhere that I could do if needed

But if there is one thing I would hope everyone sticks with - it is STAY HOME FROM WORK IF YOU ARE SICK. If I see one doofus in the office while sick I will lose it.
There are 100% people who are showing up with some clear cold symptoms and making everyone else sick, but at the same time it is getting tiring the people who constantly take days off because they feel 'muscle fatigue and it must be COVID.'

It sucks that this thing is going around and around, but at some point either you're sick, or you're not. If you're sick, stay home, if you're not, don't make it worse for everyone else by prolonging your supposed 'illness.'
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:18 PM   #805
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
There are 100% people who are showing up with some clear cold symptoms and making everyone else sick, but at the same time it is getting tiring the people who constantly take days off because they feel 'muscle fatigue and it must be COVID.'

It sucks that this thing is going around and around, but at some point either you're sick, or you're not. If you're sick, stay home, if you're not, don't make it worse for everyone else by prolonging your supposed 'illness.'
I've spoken with multiple doctors about this, in reference to myself and my two year old child. They all say the same thing. You are likely only contagious during the initial stages, when symptoms are fevers, sore throat, fatigues, etc... By the time you are fever and fatigue free and blowing out loads of snot, you are likely no longer contagious.

When I get a cold, I'll have at least some minor symptom for probably about 10-14 days after I first notice it. I simply can't afford to take 2 weeks off work every time I get a cold, and the medical evidence doesn't support me doing so.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #806
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1655650581053308928

I know Covid is over and no one wants to talk about it anymore, but why are we doing so poorly?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 08:46 AM   #807
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

I know Covid is over and no one wants to talk about it anymore, but why are we doing so poorly?
Serious question? Or could it be at all tied to the possibility that we have completely emboldened the spreader communities by allowing their queen to become premier?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #808
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't want to jump directly to that conclusion.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:39 AM   #809
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There has to be4 more to those numbers than meets the eye. On first glance we are on par with Saskatchewan and Quebec but behind BC, Manitoba, and Ontario on a per capita basis. I didn't do the math for the maritimes. So why are a few provinces significantly different than some others, and it's a pretty equal split.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 09:54 AM   #810
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Serious question? Or could it be at all tied to the possibility that we have completely emboldened the spreader communities by allowing their queen to become premier?
I'd love to see the per capita numbers, but hard to believe Manitoba is that low when there is an entire health district that was pretty bold about denying the existence of COVID, or that it made people sick and even caused some deaths. Shocking, I know.

Other than that, my opinion is still the same as it was when this all started.

You can get vaccinated, practice social distancing, wear a mask, etc, etc but being healthy, exercising and eating well were not taken seriously enough, and in the end just like with most other illnesses, diseases and viruses, healthy people tend to do a lot better.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 10:33 AM   #811
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't want to jump directly to that conclusion.
It’s actually really mean if you do, so good thing you didn’t. if you point out any true negative quality about someone they have literally no choice but to embrace that quality HARDER.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #812
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
There has to be4 more to those numbers than meets the eye. On first glance we are on par with Saskatchewan and Quebec but behind BC, Manitoba, and Ontario on a per capita basis. I didn't do the math for the maritimes. So why are a few provinces significantly different than some others, and it's a pretty equal split.
Almost certainly would have something to do with the way different provinces are testing for and counting Covid hospitalizations. We've seen this through the pandemic. There are all sorts of ways of fudging the numbers up or down. For example, at one point various provinces were counting all cases that happened to test positive for Covid, regardless of Covid's contribution to their stay, as covid cases. At other times, some provinces had stopped testing anyone but those with the most obvious of symptoms.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 11:41 AM   #813
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
You really need age adjusted per capita numbers. Given Alberta’s demographics we should be substantially out-performing BC just due to lack of old people.

The first question I have with a table like this is does the data collected from each province measure the same thing.

I suspect if we dig into it though that over 60 booster percentage would drive these numbers.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...tion-coverage/

If you go to figure 2 it shows that Alberta has less than half of the booster coverage than adjacent provinces doesn’t explain Quebec though (might be demographics for them)

Last edited by GGG; 05-09-2023 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added data
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote