Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #4941
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is what happens when you don't do the necessary management changes in an abysmal season.

How on earth has Brad Treliving lasted longer then Feaster and Button combined? Treliving inherited a team with all the right tools set after a tough rebuild including inheriting a star with Gaudreau, and we are where we are today, with the worst defense roster on paper since the start of his tenure.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #4942
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they are thinking of playing 3 defensemen and 2 forwards?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #4943
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm past the point of being angry. It's just not worth it as it's a lot easier to take if you view it as a trajicomedy. Flames have become "that franchise" where everyone in the hockey world is shaking their head, wondering what the hell they are doing. It seems like every decade they have this period where they lose their composure and do a lot of dumb things, totally isolate fans, and here we are again. I'm ready for this season to be over with already and it hasn't even started.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 06:55 PM   #4944
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

League gets faster, Flames get slower.

I'm glad they let Gio go, the price was too high. But looking at the team now, I just don't see how they compete.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #4945
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
This is what happens when you don't do the necessary management changes in an abysmal season.

How on earth has Brad Treliving lasted longer then Feaster and Button combined? Treliving inherited a team with all the right tools set after a tough rebuild including inheriting a star with Gaudreau, and we are where we are today, with the worst defense roster on paper since the start of his tenure.
Treliving ain’t great but he is probably better than Feaster and Button combined.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #4946
Cobra
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Treliving ain’t great but he is probably better than Feaster and Button combined.
Come on aim higher than that.
2 guys who wont ever be a GM again.

The constant defending of Brad is hilarious.
He is not good at his job as GM of the Calgary Flame
Time to go.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #4947
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post

I'm glad they let Gio go, the price was too high. But looking at the team now, I just don't see how they compete.
the Flames have gotten faster.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 09:55 PM   #4948
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Feaster drafted Gaudreau. That’s better than anything Treliving did for this organization. Both were horrible, but at least Feaster got us Johnny. Treliving got handed a clean slate with a triple A prospect and turned us back into the mess that Feaster got handed.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:06 PM   #4949
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Simple answer: The Pacific Division.

That's what they're banking on, at least.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:06 PM   #4950
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Feaster drafted Gaudreau. That’s better than anything Treliving did for this organization. Both were horrible, but at least Feaster got us Johnny. Treliving got handed a clean slate with a triple A prospect and turned us back into the mess that Feaster got handed.
LOL. You honestly credit Feaster for Gaudreau? Feaster didn’t know who Gaudreau was until Tod Button told him and pushed super hard for him. He also drafted Sven the same year -wonderful, eh? Feaster also drafted Jankowski instead of Hertl, Wilson, Teravainen and Vasilevskiy.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:07 PM   #4951
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Come on aim higher than that.
2 guys who wont ever be a GM again.

The constant defending of Brad is hilarious.
He is not good at his job as GM of the Calgary Flame
Time to go.
I don’t consider saying he was better than those two any sort of defence of Treliving.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:22 PM   #4952
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How did the Flames get slower?

Coleman and Zadorov are better skaters than Gio and Ryan not to mention younger

Bottom players maybe IDK probably a wash

Last edited by dino7c; 09-10-2021 at 11:24 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #4953
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames fans need to stop grading management on a scale against past Flames iterations and start grading them against the league they're currently playing in. I don't care if Treliving is better than Feaster if he's worse than most of his peers.

He should be gone, but our ownership is trash too.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 11:59 PM   #4954
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of posters are saying this is our worst off-season in a long time, but this is how I look at it:
1)We got better in goal with the additions of Vladar and Werner-one or both will shock and surprise. Marky is of course going to be healthy to start this year.
2)We drafted a future star in Coronato, and did very well with picking up Whynot, Jordan, Beck,and especially Stromgren.
3)We signed one of the most sought-after free agents on the market in Blake Coleman-a 2-time Stanley Cup champ. He was supposed to make north of 6M/per, but we got him for under 5M. Great defensive player with grit, and provides offense. Those who are unhappy with this signing should give their heads a shake.
4)We got bigger, meaner, and harder to play against.
5)We hired an experienced associate coach in Muller.

The one real negative is that we lost the offense from the backend that Gio provided, and we haven't replaced it yet-unless a few young guys can step up. I think we can all agree though, that he was becoming an adventure defensively anyway.

We shouldn't forget that we also signed 2 more of the most sought-after Free Agents last year with Marky and Tanev.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 12:18 AM   #4955
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Flames fans need to stop grading management on a scale against past Flames iterations and start grading them against the league they're currently playing in. I don't care if Treliving is better than Feaster if he's worse than most of his peers.

He should be gone, but our ownership is trash too.
I was responding to the contrary assertion.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:19 AM   #4956
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. You honestly credit Feaster for Gaudreau? Feaster didn’t know who Gaudreau was until Tod Button told him and pushed super hard for him. He also drafted Sven the same year -wonderful, eh? Feaster also drafted Jankowski instead of Hertl, Wilson, Teravainen and Vasilevskiy.
Wait, so you don't credit Feaster for drafting Gaudreau and then in same breath say he drafted Sven and Jankowski instead of other good players.

You can't have it both ways.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 12:46 AM   #4957
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Wait, so you don't credit Feaster for drafting Gaudreau and then in same breath say he drafted Sven and Jankowski instead of other good players.

You can't have it both ways.
Sure I can. GMs are much more involved in first rounders than later rounds, which are left to the scouting staff. This is not a new concept. And the Jankowski draft was all Feaster/Weisbrod. The Gaudreau story has been reported a lot as well, including by Feaster himself.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #4958
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
A lot of posters are saying this is our worst off-season in a long time, but this is how I look at it:
1)We got better in goal with the additions of Vladar and Werner-one or both will shock and surprise. Marky is of course going to be healthy to start this year.
2)We drafted a future star in Coronato, and did very well with picking up Whynot, Jordan, Beck,and especially Stromgren.
3)We signed one of the most sought-after free agents on the market in Blake Coleman-a 2-time Stanley Cup champ. He was supposed to make north of 6M/per, but we got him for under 5M. Great defensive player with grit, and provides offense. Those who are unhappy with this signing should give their heads a shake.
4)We got bigger, meaner, and harder to play against.
5)We hired an experienced associate coach in Muller.

The one real negative is that we lost the offense from the backend that Gio provided, and we haven't replaced it yet-unless a few young guys can step up. I think we can all agree though, that he was becoming an adventure defensively anyway.

We shouldn't forget that we also signed 2 more of the most sought-after Free Agents last year with Marky and Tanev.
All these are really optimistic views. In your opinion mine will me pessimistic views but I'll provide some explanation...

1) Are Vladar / Werner actually better than Rittich? At best this is a wash. Marky could continue to have his injury issues and you're left with all-rookie G tandem, hoping one of them hangs on.

2) None of those guys will help next year or who knows when. Flames have been making these "great" late round picks for a lot of years now...yet this years Forward group will feature a combo of Lucic / Pitlick / Ritchie / Richardson / Lewis...D will feature the like of Gudbransson / Stone / Zadarov / Welenski in some capacity. They have 6 drafted forwards signed to top club, 3 (Johnny, Monahan, Backlund) joined the team more than 7-8 years ago. Dube, Mangiapane and Tkachuk are the other 3. 3 of the 9 dmen are drafted by the team, one Kylington will likely be in the minors, Valimaki in and out of the lineup. Not a ringing endorsement for your drafted players.

3) Coleman is no different then Brouwer / Raymond / Neal. This is a retirement contract. He doesn't have the likes of Kucherov / Stamkos / Point etc playing above him. Watch his give a F meter take a nose dive when he sees the Flames play selfishly. This is not a team built to win in 4-5 years, rather staring at an ugly re-build. I guess his contract won't matter too much in the long run when Gaudreau / Tkachuk / Monahan etc are gone. He's not a difference-maker, Flames are a lot like the Devils then the Lightning.

4) We got slower. The league is getting faster. Size won't matter when they're giving up multiple PPs off of tripping, interference penalties. Speed was already an issue for this team and it got worse.

5) No idea what we have in Muller. No idea what he'll be in charge of. His 3 seasons as NHL HC, missed playoffs all 3 years. He wants to be a HC, he got passed over in St.Louis so he left then in Montreal it happened again so he left again. He came to Calgary cuz he sees Sutter being a 3 year thing, he wants the job when Sutter retires.

They need a fresh approach from top to bottom but it won't happen anytime soon.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #4959
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think the Flames got slower. Nor do I think Coleman is another Brouwer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #4960
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think the Flames got slower. Nor do I think Coleman is another Brouwer.
We may not have officially gotten slower, but our defense as a whole is going to do that thing we all hate do to a lack of wheels (continually back up and give up the blue line).

Prepare yourself for a majority of the game to be played in our own zone this year.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote