Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #1261
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put a few hours into Trover Saves The Universe this weekend.

As a game, it's quite good. Solid platforming with a really neat core mechanic (and would probably be great in VR). Great graphics/art design (esp in 4K), solid sound/music, and fun as heck conceptually.

As a Justin Roiland vehicle, man. It's the most Justin Roiland-y Justin Roiland project that has ever existed. I was only able to play it in ~60 minute bursts because I was getting Roiland fatigue. The game has 20-hours of dialogue for what is apparently a 6-hour game (it's cheapish on Steam and will be cheaper once time passes). Roiland does like 90% of all the voices in the game (in the 4 or 5 variant voices we've heard already on Rick And Morty) and it's a bit much, even for someone who really likes his work.

Would recommend, if you're a fan. If not, it's pointless and will drive you crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #1262
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Just go to the app store. Square Enix has released a number of older DQ and FF titles on mobile. But, as Square Enix does, they are generally pretty pricey for the phone market.
Dragon Quest I is $3.69 on Google Play. How is that pricey?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #1263
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The FF titles are like $13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #1264
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Apex Legends Season 2 starts today. New character and some major map changes. God I still suck so hard!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #1265
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
100% agree about Unity. I didn't get it until almost 3 months after launch, as I learned back in 2012 with AC3 to never start playing an AC when first released as it's a buggy mess..so by the time I played it the bugs were minimal and it was a smooth experience. Unity is actually criminally underrated, Paris is so beautiful in that game and the combat was probably the best AC combat ever until they completely re-did it in Origins in 2017. I really liked the protagonist Arno as well, he had a good wit to him. Releasing it early (and the PR fallout from it) really sabotaged an actually really good game, it's a shame.

Syndicate is good and the combat a lot faster, but overall I preferred Unity. The grappling hook in Syndicate is a lot of fun, but IMO made the game too easy. You should do Origins/Odyssey after that one (if you're not burnt out on AC by then), they made some drastic changes - mostly for the better. Combat is so different now.

Completely agree about Arno. He's probably one of the most underrated protagonists in the series. His motivation is totally different from almost all of the other assassin's you play in the series. The combat was really great too but something else that really stood out was how fluid the parkour felt. I loved the way he'd flip off of walls or buildings. The only thing I didn't like about the combat is that you had no real recourse against ranged attacks aside from doing a roll. I missed being able to use enemies as human shields. Syndicate's quick fire is a cool mechanic though.

It's kind of funny because the two AC games that came out at the same time were both overlooked in a lot of ways (the other one being Rogue).

I am not sure I'll jump right into Origins but I do have it from a Humble monthly.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #1266
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Fairly certain it was more in the past but the scale goes up fast

DQ $3.69
DQ2 $5.99
DQ3 $11.99
DQ4 $18.99
DQ5 $17.99
DQ6 $17.99

So yeah still pretty pricey
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #1267
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post

DQ $3.69
DQ2 $5.99
DQ3 $11.99
DQ4 $18.99
DQ5 $17.99
DQ6 $17.99

Hmm yeah, that's a quick climb in price. I only searched "Dragon Quest I" so I should have looked at the series as a whole before making my post.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #1268
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
100% agree about Unity. I didn't get it until almost 3 months after launch, as I learned back in 2012 with AC3 to never start playing an AC when first released as it's a buggy mess..so by the time I played it the bugs were minimal and it was a smooth experience. Unity is actually criminally underrated, Paris is so beautiful in that game and the combat was probably the best AC combat ever until they completely re-did it in Origins in 2017. I really liked the protagonist Arno as well, he had a good wit to him. Releasing it early (and the PR fallout from it) really sabotaged an actually really good game, it's a shame.

Syndicate is good and the combat a lot faster, but overall I preferred Unity. The grappling hook in Syndicate is a lot of fun, but IMO made the game too easy. You should do Origins/Odyssey after that one (if you're not burnt out on AC by then), they made some drastic changes - mostly for the better. Combat is so different now.
Unity had a lot of good elements and I enjoyed it overall. The dumb companion app was dumb, and as a completionist, I hated the cooperative multiplayer trophies (that I never ended up getting). The bugs and rushed release were of course major problems too.

Syndicate was a little boring and easy. Unity had the potential to match ACII as one of the greats.

Anyhow... I beat Origins and was very pleased. Mildly annoyed its turning into a gear hunting RPG, but overall it was great. Odyssey so far is really good too. About halfway done that one.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #1269
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I lost the better part of a day this long weekend to playing The Return of the Obra Dinn with my wife on the couch. Great experience and a fun co-op for us to solve the puzzles. I really enjoyed the open-ended nature of the investigation and it seemed like there were a lot of different clues and ways to get to the right answers, definitely a unique experience and highly recommended.

My only complaints were that it was a little clunky to navigate between scenes sometimes, and I had to brute-force 3-4 of the final puzzles near the end, but I'm sure I missed something that would've let me figure those out the "right" way.
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #1270
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dawn of Man is a pretty fun little town builder/management game. Reminds me a bit of Banished but with 100x the depth to it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #1271
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Excellent port of the original Dragon Quest, makes the entire game a much more enjoyable experience. Controls are simplified, grinding doesn't take as long, the multiple save options are a godsend, and everything you need to do is much clearer than the original. This is the best way to play DQ1, it'
Eww. Part of the joy of DW1 was the stakes were always high. What's the point if you can just motor through it? It is one of my favourite games ever. Might have to try this myself one day, but I dunno...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #1272
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post

DQ $3.69
DQ2 $5.99
DQ3 $11.99
DQ4 $18.99
DQ5 $17.99
DQ6 $17.99

I think the price scales accordingly though... like, DQ4, 5, and 6 in particular are all 30-50 hour RPGs with high quality graphics and music, good story, sidequests, the whole deal. I would gladly drop even $40 for the DS versions of those (which are the same ports, basically), under $20 is pretty solid.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #1273
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Most of Square's games are $15+, and in the case of Final Fantasy especially, are $20+. They are basically the Nintendo of mobile: they believe their IP is worth big money and they are going to get it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #1274
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

In other news, Deep Silver finally caved on the Shenmue III PC exclusivity mess and are offering refunds to PC backers who want them - which Epic will pay for.

I love the hyperbolic reactions from those angry people though. So many of them are acting like it is fraud for the publisher to switch from Steam to Epic without realizing that a Steam version was never actually promised when they backed it. Only a PC version.

I'm also enjoying the irony of a Kickstarter campaign that was a transparent publicity stunt from day one turning into a publicity mess for the publisher.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #1275
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet Chrono Trigger is only $14.99. What a steal!

Speaking of which.

That was pretty neat. $900k raised in 6 hours...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #1276
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think the price scales accordingly though... like, DQ4, 5, and 6 in particular are all 30-50 hour RPGs with high quality graphics and music, good story, sidequests, the whole deal. I would gladly drop even $40 for the DS versions of those (which are the same ports, basically), under $20 is pretty solid.
True, I guess I just don't see phone games in the same light as stand alone portables like 3DS even though the ports are the same. Its the lack of any controls besides touch screen I think with the exception of pulling out a bluetooth controller if its compatible.

Regardless its always best to wait for the sales and get these type of games 50% off and blow your wad like steam sales or jailbreak/root your phone and play for free.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #1277
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Unity had a lot of good elements and I enjoyed it overall. The dumb companion app was dumb, and as a completionist, I hated the cooperative multiplayer trophies (that I never ended up getting). The bugs and rushed release were of course major problems too.

Syndicate was a little boring and easy. Unity had the potential to match ACII as one of the greats.

Anyhow... I beat Origins and was very pleased. Mildly annoyed its turning into a gear hunting RPG, but overall it was great. Odyssey so far is really good too. About halfway done that one.
Yeah the app was annoying, and the co-op stuff was infuriating at times (I'm sure I have old posts in this thread from 2015 griping about it), I get all into the gear/outfits so being forced to do that to get the coolest ones was frustrating..I'm glad they went back to SP only, stealth assassin games and co-op seem like opposing ideas.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #1278
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Completely agree about Arno. He's probably one of the most underrated protagonists in the series. His motivation is totally different from almost all of the other assassin's you play in the series. The combat was really great too but something else that really stood out was how fluid the parkour felt. I loved the way he'd flip off of walls or buildings. The only thing I didn't like about the combat is that you had no real recourse against ranged attacks aside from doing a roll. I missed being able to use enemies as human shields. Syndicate's quick fire is a cool mechanic though.
Yeah I think Arno version of parkour was the best in the series to date, it actually felt like going backwards a bit in that regard with Origins, as the last two games have the protagonists as more of a burly type and they move around as such..it's not quite as fluid as Arno does.

In Origins you have a shield, so that protects from ranged attacks, but then in Odyssey you don't, such I'm sure that will be a little jarring when I move back to that game when I re-finish Origins in a couple weeks. You can still stop an arrow if you press a deflect button with your weapon, but it has a to be timed just right. I usually defaulted to rolling around as you mentioned.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #1279
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Been hunting for Dragon Quest games on 3/DS with limited success... checked EBGames.ca yesterday and they had new copies of DQVIII: Journey of the Cursed King showing in stock!? I quickly ordered and got my confirmation. I checked again after I showered (only 15 minutes) and it was showing out of stock again.

So, either I got super lucky or it's a website error. I won't get too excited until it ships.
It shipped! Wow can't believe my good fortune on that one, was worth the hunt for sure.

I'm gonna slow down for now as I'm only half way through 9, just started 2 on my phone, and have Builders 2 and 11 coming on Switch soon. And I've heard 8 is very long, one of the longest of the series, but also one of the best.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #1280
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Dawn of Man is a pretty fun little town builder/management game. Reminds me a bit of Banished but with 100x the depth to it

Not a bad little game, is it? Don't think it has a ton of replay value but I've enjoyed it. Wish they did a bit more work on help sections. Took me a while to figure out how to get linen.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote