Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #2821
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Highly recommend "Sick Note" for anyone looking for a new comedy series to watch. Rupert Grint (of Ron Weasley fame) and Rupert Glint (Shaun of the Dead/World's End) both put in outstanding comedic performances.
What? No love for Nick Frost? For shame....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #2822
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as they have Paw Patrol they’ll keep getting our money for the foreseeable future.

I’ve been getting a lot of mileage out of “The Secret Life of Pets” with the boys too.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #2823
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whoops...
Old 11-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #2824
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #2825
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think if Nick Frost, Simon Pegg, The Rock and Jack Black did some sort of Buddy Cop film my head would explode.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
V
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #2826
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think if Nick Frost, Simon Pegg, The Rock and Jack Black did some sort of Buddy Cop film my head would explode.
One of these things is not like the others...

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #2827
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? I havent minded most of the Netflix original content. Yeah there are some definite 'swing and a miss' but for the few bucks a month that doesnt bother me all that much.
FYP, /petpeeve
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #2828
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
FYP, /petpeeve
Fair enough.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #2829
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

not just about Netflix but streaming services in general.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/12-ways-...getting-worse/

Streaming is turning into a baffling knot of expensive, restrictive choices, which is but one way that this model is starting to get kind of annoying...
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #2830
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
not just about Netflix but streaming services in general.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/12-ways-...getting-worse/

Streaming is turning into a baffling knot of expensive, restrictive choices, which is but one way that this model is starting to get kind of annoying...
I keep seeing articles like this and I get a chuckle out of them, especially when they're written by mid-20 year-olds from pseudo-news sources with Journalism degrees whose ink is still wet, as though this is some sort of Machiavellian plot or feat of Nostradamian prediction..

"Netflix is, like, getting worse man! Its going to suck!"

Netflix at its inception it was incredible and innovative but as soon as all of the networks that Netflix hosted shows from saw that they were losing the residual value of their own content to a third-party provider what did they do? They became or are working on becoming their own streaming service.

Television networks werent set up to offer their own content in its entirety or even manageable chunks the way Netflix could. They could re-run episodes, but not in any meaningful capacity to satiate the changing appetite of viewers.

Netflix really didnt do anything insanely complicated, they just hosted content that people could watch at their leisure rather than have to set their PVR's and wait.

So someone else put all of the time and effort and investment into the content and Netflix paid them for the privilege of providing a service to host that content.

Even the eventual dawn of 'On Demand' viewing was clunky and unreliable.

So now every major outlet figures: Why just take money to let Netflix host our stuff when we can just do it ourselves, keep the money and maybe even double-dip a little?

Yeah, Netflix doesnt suck because they're pimping their own content hard, thats just smart because eventually the major players got wise to the game despite being very, very far behind the curve and werent going to license their content to Netflix when they could keep it themselves.

So yes, perhaps the overall quality of Netflix is going to be perceived to be in decline because the shows they host are going to only be on their proprietary networks' streaming service.

Thats not Netflix's fault per se, that was just the natural progression.

So in the cadence of the upcoming Generation:

"Netflix like, doesnt, like, suck man, its just like, becoming regular TV...."

Where every network is just going to support their own content. Just differently.

Just wait until Live Professional Sports cant prop up the existing cable structure and format. Then theres going to be a real reckoning coming.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #2831
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is still nothing wrong with saying that a lot of the new content coming to Netflix, from Netflix, isn't really that great and doesn't quite keep with what people have expected originally - which was some pretty high quality Netflix originals, and a bunch of Hollywood movies and shows. That dynamic has changed a lot in the last couple of years.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #2832
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are only two things that really bother me with Netflix these days.

1) There aren't very many movies any more. I wish they had more classics from all generations.

2) The fact that they took the user ratings away. Even if I didn't always agree, it was good to see what other users thought of the shows, which is somewhat important when there are always so many new ones coming online. The whole "match" thing is fairly useless...I'm not just looking to watch a genre or topic, i want quality too.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #2833
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Depending what you mean by "Classics", Kanopy has some classic films from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s.

For those that aren't familiar, Kanopy is free with your Calgary Public Library card (and many other libraries). It has some recent independent films, classic films, world cinema, documentaries. Pretty much everything except Hollywood blockbusters. If you are bored of cycling through the same posters of Netflix movies, you can browse the thousands of titles on Kanopy and at least feel like you are cultured because you briefly considered watching an indie or even a non-English movie.

With the holidays and holiday parties coming up I think it is the perfect time to brush up on your pretentiousness.

"Have you seen A Star Is Born?"?
"The 1937 film starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, the first colour film nominated for Best Picture? Why, yes what a wonderful film."
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #2834
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Depending what you mean by "Classics", Kanopy has some classic films from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s.

For those that aren't familiar, Kanopy is free with your Calgary Public Library card (and many other libraries). It has some recent independent films, classic films, world cinema, documentaries. Pretty much everything except Hollywood blockbusters. If you are bored of cycling through the same posters of Netflix movies, you can browse the thousands of titles on Kanopy and at least feel like you are cultured because you briefly considered watching an indie or even a non-English movie.

With the holidays and holiday parties coming up I think it is the perfect time to brush up on your pretentiousness.

"Have you seen A Star Is Born?"?
"The 1937 film starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March, the first colour film nominated for Best Picture? Why, yes what a wonderful film."

Kanopy is cool. I just Airplay the stuff to my AppleTV. Lots of Charlie Chaplin, random educational videos, etc.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #2835
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

To quote Norm Macdonald "You know they always say those old time actors are the best with the black and white and they say 'oooh they could really act without effects', you ever try to sit through that ****?"
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #2836
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
And the Netflix films have been more miss than hit (from what I've seen).

So browsing the catalog, looking at the movie posters "Hmm, what's this? Oh, Netflix Original. Pass".

That said, as a big Coen brother's fan, I did end up enjoying "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs". It's an anthology of six short films set in the Old West. The first couple didn't really hook me, but the later shorts were really well done.
Just finished watching The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and really enjoyed it. Was really cool to see Tom Waits playing the prospector. He's so old now...

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #2837
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Princess Switch is a Netflix original and may just be my new favourite movie. Vanessa Hudgens is a smoke show and the movie is seriously good.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #2838
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Princess Switch is a Netflix original and may just be my new favourite movie. Vanessa Hudgens is a smoke show and the movie is seriously good.
Okay...I just looked that up on IMDB and you couldnt force me to watch that at gunpoint.

I'd tell you to pull the trigger. Repeatedly. Make sure you dont miss.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #2839
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay...I just looked that up on IMDB and you couldnt force me to watch that at gunpoint.

I'd tell you to pull the trigger. Repeatedly. Make sure you dont miss.

Yeah, before even looking at what it was about, I made the bold prediction that it would be some tween movie. I don't get the appeal to adults, but I suppose there are grown adults who are into My Little Pony, so different strokes, I guess.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #2840
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote