Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #141
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If the NHLPA files an appeal, the player remains suspended during the appeal process (but not longer than the length of the suspension).

Don't believe the team has any avenue to appeal a decision for supplementary discipline.
My memory isn't what it once was (I think), but I was sure there was just a case a few weeks ago where a suspended player appealed (or the NHLPA did) and they played that night.

Otherwise, what is the point of appealing a one-game suspension, because you would do the time regardless (though I assume you would at least get paid)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #142
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
My memory isn't what it once was (I think), but I was sure there was just a case a few weeks ago where a suspended player appealed (or the NHLPA did) and they played that night.

Otherwise, what is the point of appealing a one-game suspension, because you would do the time regardless (though I assume you would at least get paid)
You maybe thinking of a situation where there is an automatic suspension or one pending a review. This is not that case.

This is the relevant CBA section:

Quote:
18.12 Appeal to Commissioner. The NHLPA, on the Player's behalf, may file an appeal to the
Commissioner of any decision regarding Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct imposed
by the League. The appeal shall be filed in writing no later than forty-eight (48) hours after the
League's notification to the NHLPA of its determination. If the term of the suspension is
ongoing, the Player shall remain suspended pending the appeal (but not longer than the duration
contained in the initial decision)
. The Commissioner shall endeavor to hear all appeals on an
expedited basis and will determine whether the decision was supported by clear and convincing
evidence. In the event the League's underlying decision results in a suspension of five (5) NHL
Games or less, the Commissioner shall determine in his sole discretion whether any type of
hearing is required related to such review, and if he determines such a hearing is required,
whether to hold a telephonic or in-person hearing. In the event the League's underlying decision
results in a suspension of six (6) NHL Games or more, the Commissioner shall conduct an inperson
hearing. The Commissioner shall have the authority to consider any evidence relating to
the incident even if such evidence was not available at the time of the initial Supplementary
Discipline for On-Ice Conduct decision. Except in cases involving a suspension of six (6) or
more NHL Games which shall be subject to an appeal pursuant to Section 18.13 below, the
decision of the Commissioner in an appeal shall be final and binding in all respects and not
subject to review. For purposes of Section 18.13 below, the Commissioner's decision shall
represent the complete and final decision of the League regarding whether the Player's conduct
violated League Playing Rules, as well as the length of the suspension imposed on the Player.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-07-2018 at 04:38 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #143
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Haha... Getzlaf is such a whiney baby.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #144
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Brodie is straight fire right now, as the kids say these days. I actually think it makes the most sense. He has the wheels to cover any rookie mishaps the kid may make.
You have to wonder if Brodie's great play is more about him playing his right side as opposed to playing with Gio?

I can't recall too many situations this season where Brodie has made a mistake and Gio was needed to cover up for him.

Maybe he just sees the ice better from the right side.

I know they had Andersson play the left side and Prout on the right in Columbus, thinking that Andersson, as the better player could adjust better to his off-side, but honestly, Prout's game should be simple hard off the glass, it shouldn't matter what side he is on. If he is thinking of making an outlet pass or skating the puck out, he's already in trouble. K.I.S.S. principle applies for Prout and that shouldn't matter what side he plays on.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #145
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ agree with all that. If it were up to me though, I would go with the following:

Hanifin - Hamonic
Prout - Brodie
Kylington - Andersson

as the kids have some familiarity already. And Prout and Brodie are veterans.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #146
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
You have to wonder if Brodie's great play is more about him playing his right side as opposed to playing with Gio?

I can't recall too many situations this season where Brodie has made a mistake and Gio was needed to cover up for him.

Maybe he just sees the ice better from the right side.

I know they had Andersson play the left side and Prout on the right in Columbus, thinking that Andersson, as the better player could adjust better to his off-side, but honestly, Prout's game should be simple hard off the glass, it shouldn't matter what side he is on. If he is thinking of making an outlet pass or skating the puck out, he's already in trouble. K.I.S.S. principle applies for Prout and that shouldn't matter what side he plays on.

I think the side is one thing but the active transition game from the back end is a huge part.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #147
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would probably go with a situation-dependant rotation:

Brodie-Hamonic (vs McDavid)
Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Prout

all game long

I'm very curious to see who mans the top PP with Gio out. Could be any one of Hanifin, Brodie, Kylington, or Andersson.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 12-08-2018 at 09:07 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #148
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Leave Hanifin and Hamonic together. Disrupt the pairs as little as possible. Those two have been solid and have real chemistry.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #149
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I would probably go with a situation-dependant rotation:

Brodie-Hamonic (vs McDavid)
Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Prout

all game long

I'm very curious to see who mans the top PP with Gio out. Could be any one of Hanifin, Brodie, Kylington, or Andersson.
I would bet Peters would be leery of the rookies being the sole D on the PP, in case of a break the other way.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote