Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #41
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Did anything happen to Kunitz?
In-game ejection, then never looked at for any further discipline
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #42
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
re: Dumba on Backlund

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Looked into this...was told skates on the ice at contact, not an illegal Check to the Head as there is some head contact but head is not the main point of contact, elbow is tucked. Clean hit.
That's how I saw it.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #43
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Its possible that the game against Edmonton has Prout, Hathaway & Peluso in the lineup (depending on a call up) and that because of poor officiating/decision making the league inadvertently makes the Oilers game much more volatile.

I actually think it would be less volatile. Kassian and Nurse won't be running around and will have their gloves glued-on. Lucic and Peluso would probably have a tilt... maybe. You almost have to call Peluso up just because you know they are going to target Tkachuk all night - that's awesome because the Flames PP is clicking and that should be enough of a deterrent, but if the Flames are leading handily, you can almost expect their side to do something cheap again.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Sorry, but that's the kind of predatory retaliation the league needs to do away with it.

Just because you believe a hit is dirty doesn't mean you go out and jump a guy and start wailing on him.
Jumped? Lomberg challenged and grabbed Dumba who turtled and was thrown down really easily. Then he smacked him once and quit. Lomberg could have done a whole lot worse, and it's not like he blindsided him.

I'm sure Lomberg figured Dumba would answer the bell there, it's would be a mutual fight and maybe not even an instigator.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #45
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Looked into this...was told skates on the ice at contact, not an illegal Check to the Head as there is some head contact but head is not the main point of contact, elbow is tucked. Clean hit.
Skate on the ice at contact should not be the determining standard. If he is in the act of jumping into a hit, whether he is airborne before contact or after is irrelevant. The point should be that he jumped into the hit and therefore illegal
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Except target the head. I am a big supporter of hitting in the game but you can clearly see Dumba elevate to target the head.
No, he elevates because you elevate to make a body check. Backlund was shooting the puck so he hunched over. The league has essentially banned hip checks (low bridge). He steps in to stop the opposing player from leaving the zone with an empty net.

Skates are on the ice at contact, not sure what you’re watching.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #47
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

NSFW!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #48
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree the Dumba hit is clean and the smart defensive play. Still refs fault that the game wasn’t over. Also don’t think he should have to fight afterwards.

The Kunitz headshot not getting any action from the league is an absolute joke. Complete headshot
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
No, he elevates because you elevate to make a body check. Backlund was shooting the puck so he hunched over. The league has essentially banned hip checks (low bridge). He steps in to stop the opposing player from leaving the zone with an empty net.

Skates are on the ice at contact, not sure what you’re watching.
Obviously not what you were. I dint care what b.s the NHL is spewing I have watched the hit multiple times and skates were definitely not on ice at time of contact.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #50
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you imagine the up roar here if Peters/Lomberg didn't do what they did? It would be a week of articles about the team being too soft and not standing up for each other.

Everyone in the Minnesota Wild dressing room knows this is just hockey. You target an opposition player like that, you know there will be retribution. They can play victim all he wants, and Boudreau is great at that, but they know hockey justice.

Lomberg threw one punch then basically laid off. Compare that to Kassian who threw multiple punches of an unprovoked faceoff.

I don't have a problem with the whole situation. All it will do is galvanize this team with "us against the world" mentality. Flames will pay Lomberg back for whatever he loses in the suspension, which is more than he would have made in the AHL anyways.

Smart of Peters to send out Lomberg cause if he sent Tkachuk or Bennett out, they'd lose a core guy to a suspension. Even when he is knowingly getting into trouble, Peters is pushing the right buttons.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #51
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like the Flames need to dress the enforcers...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Ryan - Bennett
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Neal
Peluso - Czarnik - Hathaway

Brodie - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kyllington - Prout
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #52
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I’ve got no love for Minnesota.

If Koivu is out, it’s the hockey gods making things right. Did Staal get suspended for breaking Gaudreau’s hand with a slash? Nope? %^*! ‘Em. %^*! the garbage refs.

Exactly. Come to think of it... the flames owe the wild a few serious injuries from a few years back. The last time the flames were as dominant as they are right now was back in 2009 and Giordano got hurt by what I recall was a charge from Cal Clutterbuck. That was the beginning of a string of injuries that decimated the team and made them limp into the playoffs.

Also, it was Minnesota in 2010 that cross-checked Langkow right when the defensemen was about to shoot... that lead to the puck hitting him in the back of the neck. I’m pretty sure that one ended his career.

And the slash-fest against gaudreau 2 years ago will always stand out as an example of how poorly officiated this league is. Minnesota has a history of dirty play causing injuries to the flames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #53
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The problem with this is if it's Tom Wilson and not Dumba making that hit, the reaction from the league would be "he didn't leave his feet, but the head was targeted and the player was in a vulnerable position"

This league has a huge issue. Different rules for each day of the week applied differently for different players.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #54
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why the Gio play warrants a suspension, it's a 2 min penatly. Gio isn't the type to deliberately hurt a guy.

I don't recall the league looking at Staal when he broke Gaudreau's hand.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Skate on the ice at contact should not be the determining standard. If he is in the act of jumping into a hit, whether he is airborne before contact or after is irrelevant. The point should be that he jumped into the hit and therefore illegal
In fact skates on ice at contact and then driving upwards is arguably a more violent hit. His feet leave the ice because he drove so hard.

I keep thinking back to that hit Valimaki made leading to a Neal goal. This could have been the exact same hit and accomplish much better results (Dumba wasn't even thinking about where the puck went).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #56
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Obviously not what you were. I dint care what b.s the NHL is spewing I have watched the hit multiple times and skates were definitely not on ice at time of contact.
Feel free to share a freeze frame.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #57
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

This league is such a joke more often than not
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #58
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
In fact skates on ice at contact and then driving upwards is arguably a more violent hit. His feet leave the ice because he drove so hard.

I keep thinking back to that hit Valimaki made leading to a Neal goal. This could have been the exact same hit and accomplish much better results (Dumba wasn't even thinking about where the puck went).

You have to drive upwards to counter momentum. It’s not malicious, it’s physics.

Here’s a good example, similar point of contact, Gio almost flat footed though and he still pops up into the air.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #59
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The problem with this is if it's Tom Wilson and not Dumba making that hit, the reaction from the league would be "he didn't leave his feet, but the head was targeted and the player was in a vulnerable position"

This league has a huge issue. Different rules for each day of the week applied differently for different players.
Well, the difference there is that Tom Wilson targets heads from the blind side. Dumba came square from the front.

For me, the issue is that Dumba charged in from a long distance out with the intent to hurt his opponent. Backlund putting himself in a vulnerable position made it worse, but that doesn't forgive the charge, as far as I am concerned.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #60
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Imagine being so much of a homer that you can watch the same clip as everyone else and come to a different conclusion about a fact as concrete as skates on the ice or not.

While I wouldn't mind enforcers on the ice against Edmonton, not sure I like the prospect of playing Prout or Peluso when Edmonton has last change.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote