Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #321
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
If you figured out where to go up that spot, where to climb down, and where to shuffle along the edge and make that jump just from a map then you might be one of them mentalists.
I thought the map was fairly clear. It showed which direction to approach from, that you had to go to the top and then drop down. From there it was just following to the end of the trail. Compared to finding all the secret areas in the original Tomb Raider, it was easy. Now that was hard!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #322
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I’ve done parts one and two of the Jack Hill gang treasure map with no help. It’s definitely doable. And quite satisfying when you accomplish it!
I did them all by myself except the Cotorra Springs one which I thought was terrible. I spent over an hour wandering around before I gave up and went online and found out where it was which was an area I had searched a few times. Even when I knew which rock it was at it took several tries walking around for it to prompt me to pick up the stash. If you know where it is and it still doesn't prompt you properly it's not well implemented IMO. Outside of that most that I have encountered aren't that tough.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #323
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I finished the game last night, including the epilogs. Overall, I enjoyed the game, although I don't think it is as brilliant as a lot of the reviews make it out to be. It's both amazing and at times incredibly annoying.

I found this Kotaku review more or less summed up my overall feelings: https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redempti...iew-1829984369
Old 12-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #324
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I finished the game last night, including the epilogs. Overall, I enjoyed the game, although I don't think it is as brilliant as a lot of the reviews make it out to be. It's both amazing and at times incredibly annoying.

I found this Kotaku review more or less summed up my overall feelings: https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redempti...iew-1829984369
I haven't finished but I'm enjoying the game. I think they have hit a new high bar for recreating a living and breathing environment in a game as the attention to little details is unsurpassed. However I'm surprised Rockstar could do so many things right and ship the game with some of the clunkiest controls I can remember in a AAA game.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #325
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I haven't finished but I'm enjoying the game. I think they have hit a new high bar for recreating a living and breathing environment in a game as the attention to little details is unsurpassed. However I'm surprised Rockstar could do so many things right and ship the game with some of the clunkiest controls I can remember in a AAA game.
Controls were quite frustrating, definitely one of the points against this being a truly great game. And I agree, the environment itself is definitely the best part of the game, and is the top argument for it actually being a great game.

I think the number 1 most frustrating thing for me was that I never was able to figure out how to convince the game to let me have the weapons I wanted when I got off my horse. I would go to the gun shop, assign the weapons I want to my holster or back or shoulder and then a mission or two later they're just gone. Sometimes I could see the gun I wanted on my back in the cut scene, but once the action starts it's mysteriously gone. Other times I literally get off my horse with the gun in my hand and then it is replaced by the crappiest handgun in my collection as soon as the battle begins. So infuriating.

For a game trying to bring so much realism to gaming, it didn't even make any sense that you have access to 15+ guns, 4+ sets of clothes, and nearly infinite food items on your horse anyway. Not to mention the couple thousand rounds of ammo I could bring with me by the end of the game. I would have much preferred a weight based system where you had to store most of your stuff at camp and had to choose only a couple guns and a reasonable amount of food and ammo items to take on a trip. And maybe one change of clothes so you can bring your winter gear with you. And then let you actually use the guns you want, instead of defaulting to some stupid one shot pistol that no-one would ever use in a fight if they had access to the giant arsenal that the gang has.

Also, some more flexibility in the difficulty settings would have been good. The targeting assist thing was just too good, and made most fights pretty easy. But if you turn it off, good luck! You better be amazing at first person shooters, or you'll get creamed. Deadeye was also way too good in my opinion, although I never used it for fights because the targeting assist already made combat fairly easy.

Last edited by mikephoen; 12-11-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #326
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just started this on Saturday after finally being Odyssey..man the world is incredible!! I'm struggling with the buttons a bit as well, and one area I'm battling in my newbie state is trying to find the right "difficulty" by altering the weapon lock-on button; I played RDR on free aim as I find the game too easy otherwise..but in RDR2 I'm getting just owned in free aim, not sure if it's going to be doable like this. Still working out the kinks.

And I also finally did that "Quick Drink" mission, that may be the funniest mission I've ever done in a game before hahaha.. Afterwards I noticed in my mission ranking I didn't get any of the achievements which all sounded like funny content I missed out on, think I need to replay er..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #327
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lennaaayyyy
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #328
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha yeah the way he was saying Lenny's name was killin me! I deff gotta play it again after seeing those mission achievements I never got, just a good excuse to have another laugh and see what I missed out on..
Old 02-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #329
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still figuring out this game, I was hunting and got a fox from afar with my bow. When I went to collect it, I actually noticed it was still alive and yipping in great pain, I didn't know that happened in this game! I quickly put it out of its misery..I feel terrible now haha
Old 02-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #330
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

God I love watching storms roll in, in this game. Especially with good headphones/surround sound going. Just experienced my first lightning storm, when I first visited the Great Plains region. It was profound, I just stopped what I was doing for a bit and watched.

The button configuration and some of the new systems can be frustrating to master, but at least for me the natural world they created is unmatched in video games.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #331
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't expect, or want, this game to be such a slog to try and finish. I got about half way through the game and just can't find the motivation to complete it.

In terms of technological achievement this game is rarely paralleled. As for gaming experience I have never been quite so disappointed.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #332
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I sorta agree. I love it, and took a break for 3 weeks when I was away for work and after that I didn't even have an urge to jump back in.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #333
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yeah I sorta agree. I love it, and took a break for 3 weeks when I was away for work and after that I didn't even have an urge to jump back in.
I'm in the exact same boat. It's a truly amazing game. Played a tonne early on but haven't jumped back in lately. An hour over the past few weeks.

I really think the location of your gaming system in the house plays a role. PS4 isn't in the main living room but rather in a bedroom.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #334
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't expect, or want, this game to be such a slog to try and finish. I got about half way through the game and just can't find the motivation to complete it.

In terms of technological achievement this game is rarely paralleled. As for gaming experience I have never been quite so disappointed.
The game story is too long and the missions get very repetitive.

They could have cut 30% of the story and it would have had the exact same effect
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #335
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You just need to get back into it. Any game this large is going to have some repetition but it's nowhere near as repetitive a game as Spiderman for example where the entire game revolves around doing the same thing over and over again in different districts. It's worth it to finish the game as Arthur's journey is one of the best in any game ever.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-19-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #336
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You just need to get back into it. Any game this large is going to have some repetition but it's nowhere near as repetitive a game as Spiderman for example where the entire game revolves around doing the same thing over and over again in different districts. It's worth it to finish the game as Arthur's journey is one of the best in any game ever.
Except playing the game is just such...a chore. It's so tedious. Getting anywhere to even just start a mission can take 10 minutes, then another 10-15 of fluff/conversation/travelling for 5 minutes of action.

If I can only fit in an hour or two here or there (if I have the motivation), and if only a third of the investment in playing the game is enjoyable or entertaining then the payoff ratio isn't worth it.

The Fallout games could be like this, except it had fast-travel, a levelling system, and plenty of side action that kept it flowing and made the grind feel rewarding. RDR II has none of that. Just a clunky feeling game with a meandering story and monotonous gameplay. It's not a fun game to play. It's a 40+ hour long interactive movie.

I over-hyped this game for myself over the course of 2-3 years, so that's a big problem too.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #337
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except playing the game is just such...a chore. It's so tedious. Getting anywhere to even just start a mission can take 10 minutes, then another 10-15 of fluff/conversation/travelling for 5 minutes of action.

If I can only fit in an hour or two here or there (if I have the motivation), and if only a third of the investment in playing the game is enjoyable or entertaining then the payoff ratio isn't worth it.

The Fallout games could be like this, except it had fast-travel, a levelling system, and plenty of side action that kept it flowing and made the grind feel rewarding. RDR II has none of that. Just a clunky feeling game with a meandering story and monotonous gameplay. It's not a fun game to play. It's a 40+ hour long interactive movie.

I over-hyped this game for myself over the course of 2-3 years, so that's a big problem too.
Have you tried the fast travel at your camp? I haven't but the option is there.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #338
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Have you tried the fast travel at your camp? I haven't but the option is there.
Yes, but you can only fast travel from the camp outwards. It's kind of useless, actually.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #339
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh the buttons are incredibly frustrating! It's been almost two weeks of solid gaming and I'm still struggling with some of it..still can't figure out how to find stored outfits on my horse, for example. Some of the systems are frustrating too; I'm sure it evens out later as your stats increase, but in the early going I find I'm just a slave with my/my horse's cores, they're forever low I find. And I can't seem to save my horse and I from being underweight. The camp feels fairly high maintenance in the early going too, with money being tight at this early stage. I'm certainly not used to all this maintenance in a video game.

Hunting can be frustrating too..I like how you can't just pull a genocide on the animal population like you could in the original, but as soon as I get a kill, I pretty much race to the nearest town to sell it before it starts to rot.. but almost every time en route, I run into a chance encounter that either requires a lengthy detour causing my pelt to rot, or they need a ride and require me to ditch my kill altogether. That's annoying.

I've gotten used to the slower pace though, I love just leisurely taking in the scenery. I've never experienced a world this detailed and alive before, especially the skies. The way the clouds move in is incredible, I love watching a storm develop. Been a bit of a love/hate relationship with this game in the early going as I try to learn everything, but I'm starting to settle in. Muscle memory finally getting to where it needs to be. There's a lot of frustrating parts to this game, especially in the beginning. But there's a lot to love as well.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #340
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to re-quip your non-sidearm weapons every time you get on and off your horse.

That's near game-breaking needlessly tedious. I don't know how many missions or gunfights I've gone into with nothing more than a revolver because of this.

But the game's pretty. That's what got me through the first half of it, too.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Tags
cows , guns , horses , red dead redemption , wild west