Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #1121
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
He's achieved more than he has broken or not yet started working on. "Most" is dishonest.

https://trudeaumetre.polimeter.org/
Are we looking at quality or quantity?

Going through that list and looking at the major things that were being discussed during the campaign the following stuck out to me.

Promises kept:
Gender balanced cabinet
Long form census
Cancel Northern Gateway
Legal pot

Promises broken:
Deficits
Electoral reform
Blood ban
Postal delivery
Omnibus bills
Transparency
Veterans benefits
I guess we all might remember certain things more than others but most people don't study the party platform for promise #214. I think most people remember the major promises that they talk about in stump speeches and in the debates.

That's not even taking into account the multiple ethics breaches by senior ministers including Trudeau himself.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #1122
TorqueDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Are we looking at quality or quantity?
It should be self-evident if you read the post I quoted and are fluent in English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Trudeau abandoned most of his campaign promises[…]
Quantity. There is no way to insist that was a statement about quality.

It is dishonest to claim that 'most' promises were 'abandoned' when that is demonstrably false. If someone wants to criticize what things were accomplished or prioritized over others, go nuts, but at least approach the subject honestly.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 12-07-2018 at 05:08 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #1123
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's possible for someone to say "most" and have been referring to the major promises but apparently you are sticking to the exact wording so you are right, congratulations. Carry on, I won't bother you anymore.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #1124
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It should be self-evident if you read the post I quoted and are fluent in English.
Quantity. There is no way to insist that was a statement about quality.

It is dishonest to claim that 'most' promises were 'abandoned' when that is demonstrably false. If someone wants to criticize what things were accomplished or prioritized over others, go nuts, but at least approach the subject honestly.
The problem with that site is that they count each statement in each category with equal weight and then just provide a count.

For example if I asked you did Trudeau keep his promises around electoral reform the answer should be a clear NO. Whereas that site would argue he has only broke one promise on electoral reform, kept two and is in progress on 8 others so should get a passing grade. That’s not a reasonable way to assess if a politician kept his promises. If you fail to keep the headline item of a category you fail that category.

The data the way it’s presented is me telling my boss 19 of 20 items came in on budget for my project so the project was mostly on budget when the last item accounts for 50% of the cost of the project and was double the expected amount.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: