Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #161
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
What a damn dip this has been. Literally losing 2% of my portfolio daily.
I feel your pain. Everything has been red lately for me, except for AMRN. The only thing keeping my overall portfolio green. I'm hedging a big bet that it'll sky rocket. I will know more Thursday morning after the call...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #162
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never fun to see the market drop a lot, but we've been spoiled these last 9 years. Back to reality.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #163
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone planning any moves before the election on Tuesday? It's going to be a whippy reaction either way. If the dems wins anything I think it will drop, then bounce, then dip, then recover, then continue lower. Yep. Book that. Drop, bounce, drop, dip, down.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #164
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is kind of cool and terrifying...

https://www.thealgolab.com/home1.html

This seems to be the way things are going. Guy's from Calgary too. Lots of smarty pants traders here.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #165
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This is kind of cool and terrifying...

https://www.thealgolab.com/home1.html

This seems to be the way things are going. Guy's from Calgary too. Lots of smarty pants traders here.
Don't know how legit this is, it seems to good to be true, but anyways it seems like it would be a nightmare come tax time.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #166
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Don't know how legit this is, it seems to good to be true, but anyways it seems like it would be a nightmare come tax time.

I don't think the returns are out of line at all. The equity graph looks realistic and similar to other algorithm results. The problem with algorithmic trading is executing the trades needed to achieve the results. The interesting part of this one is they do the trades for you through your own account and only hold 20 positions at any time. Other algorithms I've seen produce better results but require hundred of trades a day.

I suspect your brokerage statement would satisfy your accountant but it would definitely be income. No tfsa trading here.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #167
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Hey guys, our software made money in a bull market. Therefore it works!"
Old 11-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #168
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite is the backtest (which is glorious, of course). You never see the iterations that fared poorly. These things are amusing though, because if you really had an easy way to crush the market there’s no way you run radio ads and pile people in to destroy your advantage.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 03:03 AM   #169
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just opened an investing account with my bank, and I plan on contributing a good chunk of my monthly income into some ETF's. I think they make the most sense for me, just because I'm not a financial pro by any means, and I'm just looking for long term saving without much risk.

I'm just wondering how to diversify these? From what I've seen, there's some pretty good ones that return ~ 10%, but these have been mostly technology and S&P 500 composed.

What about other industries, like robotics, energy, and water?

I haven't found anything great in those categories, and wonder why I would invest in them if they don't offer the same returns as the tech oriented ones that I've discovered? I understand though that the future for these is probably pretty bright.

Last edited by Delthefunky; 12-07-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #170
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Canadian Couch Potato offers some basic suggestions for passive plans using three ETFs:

https://cdn.canadiancouchpotato.com/...-ETFs-2017.pdf
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #171
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can pretty much Google any information you want about ETF's. Here's a site with the robotics/AI etf's...

https://etfdb.com/themes/artificial-intelligence-etfs/

Here's one for water...

https://www.thebalance.com/top-water...r-2018-4171842

I feel like maybe you're jumping in at a bit of a perilous time. The market looks much different now than any time in the last 6 years. Diversification is not going to save you in today's market. By definition your US stock portfolio is diversified when you own the S&P. What you're trying to do by buying other stock sector etf's is pick winners. When the S&P goes down it typically drags other sectors with it. Diversifying from stocks means bond etf's, gold to some extent and inverse etf's though you can't own those for very long without losing time value. If you're planning to ride out large fluctuations and you want to try to pick winners, it may be beneficial to look into what really happens when the market goes down. It's also super important to plan your losses, know when you've been proven wrong. A long time frame and diversification typically doesn't save you from your inherent bad trading psychology.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #172
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
I just opened an investing account with my bank, and I plan on contributing a good chunk of my monthly income into some ETF's. I think they make the most sense for me, just because I'm not a financial pro by any means, and I'm just looking for long term saving without much risk.

I'm just wondering how to diversify these? From what I've seen, there's some pretty good ones that return ~ 10%, but these have been mostly technology and S&P 500 composed.

What about other industries, like robotics, energy, and water?

I haven't found anything great in those categories, and wonder why I would invest in them if they don't offer the same returns as the tech oriented ones that I've discovered? I understand though that the future for these is probably pretty bright.
Past performance isn't a great thing to go by for industry ETFs, as it sometimes means that specific industry is in a bubble.

Financial and homebuilder ETFs had great recent performance at the end of 2007, for example.

If you're picking ETFs, I think going with broad ones is a good choice. SPY for the US, and VCE for Canada. (I use VCE because it has lower fees than something like XIC).

If you put your money into a 50/50 mix of those two, I think its very likely you'd outperform something like 80% or more of investors with almost no work. You could add an international ETF at some point as well.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #173
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ Too much Canada in that 50/50 portfolio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_home_bias_puzzle
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #174
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
^ Too much Canada in that 50/50 portfolio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_home_bias_puzzle
Fair point. I personally think having significant exposure to the currency your expenses are in makes sense, and do think that 50/50 would outperform a huge percentage of investors.

You could set the weights any way you prefer, and add an MSCI world fund for international balance, as I mentioned.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #175
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone getting cold feet yet? Is this one of those things you ride out because you have a long term plan? I really like these strong market moves. it makes trading easy when trends break. I think 235-240 on the SPY is bottom of the barrel. But who knows with crazy Trump on Twitter every six hours.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #176
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am about 17% down YTD on the overall portfolio value. Every day for the past 5 months I kept telling myself to wait another week until the market starts recovering, yet it keeps creeping down. Maybe, it's time to cut the losses, cash out and wait until whatever crap is happening to the markets happens and ends.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #177
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I am about 17% down YTD on the overall portfolio value. Every day for the past 5 months I kept telling myself to wait another week until the market starts recovering, yet it keeps creeping down. Maybe, it's time to cut the losses, cash out and wait until whatever crap is happening to the markets happens and ends.
Depends on what your time horizon is and what you’re holding. In general though, it’s a poor time to sell. Plenty of people are, having bought high and are now selling low, but it’s not likely a good decision.

(Tax loss harvesting is another matter of course, but there are ways to do that more effectively)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #178
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cash out?? Now is the time to buy.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #179
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Cash out?? Now is the time to buy.
Definitely not, if you think the market is going into recession. And that is a very popular sentiment these days if you listen to stock commentators and portfolio managers on TV.

In general, I just love this "time to buy" notion. Yeah, if you are sitting on oodles cash to invest and if you are confident about these investments being profitable, then maybe. Most retail investors have portfolios of stocks, bonds and a relatively small amount of cash that needs to be there as a buffer. And if the stocks in those portfolios are down, the "time to buy" advice is not that useful.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #180
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why, the stock market could go to zero. Zero!

For God's sake, at the very least, don't cash out. That is the dumbest thing to do, other than getting pumpkin futures.