Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #141
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fairly simple problem:
Portion of front lawn (south facing) is weedy, and spotted portions (areas with not much grass).
What products do you recommend? (i.e. I'm hearing Weed Be Gone for weeds, should I be overseeding, One-Step (?Scotts).
What other steps should I consider? (additional fertilizer, lime?, etc.)?
Old 05-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #142
TKB
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Interesting. I tried the weed b gone a few years ago. It didn't do much of anything, whereas Killex always kills them in 2 days or so.
Agreed. In my opinion killex is far superior. Especially the one that is attached to the hose and sprayed on.
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TKB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #143
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Any good suggestions for a full shade plant? I know hostas are popular but I am wondering if there are any other ones out there.
Bleeding heart is great - fills out and flowers quickly in the spring before most other plants. I also have a black bugbane in my shade garden that's really nice towards the end of summer. As others have suggested, astilbe, heuchera and various ferns work well. Someone mentioned lady's mantle - I find it spreads out of control pretty easily and personally never found it that appealing.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #144
lifetime_flamesfan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I'm looking for some different options on columnar trees? In my area everyone has the Swedish aspen, and I think I want to go a little bit of a different route.

Currently I am leaning towards some kind of columnar evergreen, but from what I have found, they don't get the height that I want (I'm looking for at least 20 ft.).
lifetime_flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lifetime_flamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #145
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetime_flamesfan View Post
I'm looking for some different options on columnar trees? In my area everyone has the Swedish aspen, and I think I want to go a little bit of a different route.

Currently I am leaning towards some kind of columnar evergreen, but from what I have found, they don't get the height that I want (I'm looking for at least 20 ft.).
They also grow slower I believe, so if you are looking for a quick impact for a screen, aspen is probably your best bet. There's a few more trees which have a decent height to width ratio, like a Dakota Pinnacle Birch, but again the mature height won't be as high as the aspen and will take longer to get there.

Are you creating a privacy screen along a fence?

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 06-02-2015 at 10:41 AM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #146
lifetime_flamesfan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
They also grow slower I believe, so if you are looking for a quick impact for a screen, aspen is probably your best bet. There's a few more trees which have a decent height to width ratio, like a Dakota Pinnacle Birch, but again the mature height won't be as high as the aspen and will take longer to get there.

Are you creating a privacy screen along a fence?
Not so much a privacy screen (although it would be a nice bonus), more that I like to have the height in trees. We don't really have the room for trees that have a wide radius as well, so I feel like the height can make up for the lack of width.
lifetime_flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #147
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Not so much a privacy screen (although it would be a nice bonus), more that I like to have the height in trees. We don't really have the room for trees that have a wide radius as well, so I feel like the height can make up for the lack of width.
I'm in the same situation. I ended up going with the Columnar Aspens and added a dakota birch just to mix it up a bit. If I recall, the birch gets to double the width of the aspen.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #148
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I'm in the same situation. I ended up going with the Columnar Aspens and added a dakota birch just to mix it up a bit. If I recall, the birch gets to double the width of the aspen.
I'll snap a picture of my backyard and post it up. I have a small yard but still wanted some tree's so we did a row of 3 columnar aspens up one side with a Dakota birch in one corner and a flowering crabapple tree in the other corner (think its a pink spire crabapple).

The birch struggled the first year and is still fairly slow growing. The crabapple has grown 2 feet in 2 years and the aspens have grown 5-6' at least in 2 years haha. They're like weeds.

Last edited by rohara66; 06-02-2015 at 12:39 PM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #149
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also my aspen trees have drooping branches from that crazy snow/ice storm last year.... anything I can do to get them growing up again?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #150
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Weed-be-gone works well. Or hiring the Weed Man for treatment Ive found effective.
I found Weed be Gone to be completely useless. My dandelions thrived no matter how much of that crap I sprayed. Now I live in the country, so I get to buy real weed destroyers. I can spray in the morning and they're dead in 4 hours. It's fantastic.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #151
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Take a look at lodgepole pines. Fast growing (not as fast as Aspens, I believe) and will grow up to 25M!

If you're going for the well-manicured landscaping look, these may not be what you want. Personally, I prefer the look of native landscaping and this is how I am designing my own yard.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #152
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I found Weed be Gone to be completely useless. My dandelions thrived no matter how much of that crap I sprayed. Now I live in the country, so I get to buy real weed destroyers. I can spray in the morning and they're dead in 4 hours. It's fantastic.
They can start to twist a bit in a few hours, but killing dandelions should take several days. You do want to follow label directions, as they say, otherwise you might just burn off the top and leave the root to grow again.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #153
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

We used aspens and blue arrow junipers (thin, medium height and no invasive roots like pines or spruces) alternating one of each, to create a nice private barrier between our back yard and our neighbors.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #154
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Wow, they brought it back. AND Rona? The hysteria must be calming down.

Thank goodness, because prices for it skyrocketed when the big stores stopped selling it.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #155
Alpaca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Also my aspen trees have drooping branches from that crazy snow/ice storm last year.... anything I can do to get them growing up again?
We have the same problem, tied the branches up to the trunk over the winter.
We untied them a few weeks ago and now that the leaves are out the branches are drooping?
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #156
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendations for a lawn care company? Ie Weed man or Green drop?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #157
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Any recommendations for a lawn care company? Ie Weed man or Green drop?
Run away from Dr Green.
If you are in the NW, I would highly recommend GreenEdge. A very well run family shop, they do everything from fertilizing to weekly cut/trim to fall leaf cleanup. I have had them working at our place for 2 years now, reasonable prices, responsible guys.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #158
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the SW. Looking for exactly how you described Green Edge.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #159
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've started a massive project in my backyard. I have a circular 14' concrete pad that I decided to put allen block planters around to picture frame it with a garden. So far I've stripped the grass and used it to fill in dead spots from my old dog and trenched the areas for the blocks which should be delivered next week.

I then decided to replace the existing trees that span my rear fence (Columnar Aspens and a Russian Olive) as it's too wet there and they aren't growing after 4 years. I pulled them all out as best I could and moved them to another area of the yard. They may not make it but we'll see what happens. I replace them with Towering Poplars and a Laurel Leaf Willow. Took a lot of sweat and pain to get it done and the sad thing is it doesn't look any different... hopefully they will grow better to create a privacy screen though.

I got to learn how to fix sprinklers as well as I sliced into a line while excavating the one bed!
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #160
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone looking for trees, check out Costco. Really good prices on spruce trees, a few different varieties; Black Hills, Norway, Colorado Blue. Can't beat the prices either, 20 bucks each for the ones in the pic below.

Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top Shelf For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies