Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2022, 07:09 AM   #1
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Let's talk about: Oliver Kylington 2.0

A 2.0 thread after an undeniable breakout season. But many of us have observed that the chaos has crept back into his game, the giveaways are up and the game is starting to get away from him a little.

IMHO, Kylington earned his way on to the team with self-imposed discipline. He kept his game very simple -- easy outs, passes up the boards, and focused on being hard to play against. He was opportunistic, but conservative about joining the rush and chipping in on offence. All of it made him an extremely effective player.

The last few weeks he's back to being a bit more of a fire drill. Whether that tumble vs the Wild has him spooked -- or just hurt in some way -- I don't know. But he needs to adjust his game again because the risk is starting to outweigh the reward.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I'm sure he'll be fine and I'm sure Darryl will work him hard to get out of the hiccups, glitches and ooopsies he has been experiencing.
The team is winning though and he's hardly the only guy who messes up ....he just does it at a higher speed is all.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 07:53 AM   #3
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington needs to simplify. Don't try and make the big play all the time. Make the smart play like he was doing earlier. Might be worth a video session from the earlier part of the season to let him see what made him successful. Sometimes a little review goes a long way to putting a player back on track.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #4
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

He is really poor at receiving pucks off the off-hand (right) boards. Several of his recent blunders have been related to that specific play. It happens more often on the power play than during routine 5v5
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:11 AM   #5
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Breakout season doesn't mean he plays at that high level all year, most players go through their ebbs and flows. Kylington's played well enough that he's earned a stretch of poor games without getting sat but still young enough where a game or two watching from above isn't the worse thing.

Him and Tanev are a combined +54, pretty spectacular.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:12 AM   #6
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think he's being any more risky then before. He just seems to be out of control with his skating and worried about getting crushed more than before. He just need to slow himself down and relax.

The results have been fine so it isn't hurting the team so probably just need to let him play through it.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #7
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's doing fine. Just need to work on those 1 timers on the powerplay
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a case of OK trying to expand his game -- which is a good thing IMO. Tanev is so steady back there that it gives him some room to try things he wouldn't otherwise try. I think with time he dials it in a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
He's doing fine. Just need to work on those 1 timers on the powerplay
I would like to see Dube in that role -- especially if he and Monahan are going to stay together 5-on-5. I think he has a better shot from that spot.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #9
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Out of thanks, or I would be dishing out the thanks.

I'd like to see OK take in a video session or two of his play in December, where he kept his game simple but at a high speed. His early season play is textbook playoff hockey: Quick outs up the wall, hard on the boards, win puck battles and fill gaps when they're there but don't force it. He's gonna need it in May!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have noticed a bit of a dip in his play lately. He’s still playing well though, and most of his miscues have come in the offensive zone, which takes time to figure out.

I’m actually curious if he could be an offer sheet target this off-season. The compensation for a $4M AAV is only a 2nd round pick, and I think that the Flames would try to bridge him for less.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #11
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only problem with Kylington is that he is considered a smallish D-man, especially on a big Flames team. However, he plays bigger than Hanifin but can be a reliability as he can be manhandled by big forwards. Hanifin is sort of like the opposite of Kylington, slightly bigger but soft. Last couple of games Hanifin showed he can be brutal or he can be one of the best (like in the Oilers game). Between Kylington and Hanifin this summer - I'd like to see Tre flip the latter to see if he can land another big defenseman. The problem with these two left pairs is that they're not really interchangeable the way Sutter has the defensive pairings. It's kind of odd that for the first time in a long time, the Flames are actually weak on the left defensive side aside from the 3rd pairing. Needless to say, they're still better than 2/3 of the teams in the league.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:30 PM   #12
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's just since his collision with Hartman that he's looked rattled. Hopefully he can get some rest days as needed.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #13
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think it’s a dip in his play, more that the games are getting faster and tighter as the season ramps up. I think he will adjust and learn as he goes that time and space is getting tighter and tighter.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 01:02 PM   #14
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I often feel like his stick is too damn long lol just the way he'll whiff on a shot or lose it trying to dangle, it seems like he's got an extra long stick even for a defenceman..or maybe it's just me...he was fine all season so...

them one-timers on the PP tho get that figured out and we good
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:04 PM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like everything else, a player's game will ebb and flow.

He got on a roll for a while in Nov and December, and then cooled off a bit.

Then he got rocked a few games ago, and seems to be struggling a bit.

Big whoop. Let's show some patience, he's a great player and he'll be fine.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #16
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

dino7c new signature:

MAYBE I WAS RIGHT ABOUT KYLINGTON
Old 03-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #17
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Breakout season doesn't mean he plays at that high level all year, most players go through their ebbs and flows. Kylington's played well enough that he's earned a stretch of poor games without getting sat but still young enough where a game or two watching from above isn't the worse thing.

Him and Tanev are a combined +54, pretty spectacular.
You would think that is a good thing but I am told that plus/minus is meaningless.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #18
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think he'll be fine. Guys go through highs and lows over the course of the season, and he's coming off a pretty scary collision in a recent game.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #19
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's worth noting that Kylington has not played this many games in a while. He was up with the big team a lot as a healthy scratch, rather than playing in the AHL. So, it may be a case of him just learning how to be consistent.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #20
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

After reading thru the above I think this is a great time for him to be struggling a bit during the season.
The stakes are lower than in the playoffs so better NOW he learn, make mistakes , make BIG mistakes that don't cost us games.
By the time we make the dance he'll hopefully have worked out the poltergeists from his game and won't frighten us so much.
Sure he is a butt clenching edge of your seat player to watch but man when he gets it right no one can catch him.....he's gonna be awesome working along side Tanev....and I'm damn grateful he's his D partner at +54.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote