Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2023, 10:11 AM   #6181
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I watched 'The Pope's Exorcist.'

Again, this is a movie that tells you what you're going to get and then delivers it. So as long as your expectations are in line with that promise then you're going to like it.

Its nothing ground-breaking but I found it entertaining enough for what it was.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 01:57 PM   #6182
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I normally recommend movies, but today I have to tell you to stay away from Thinner. I usually love Stephen King movies but this one was one of my least favorite adaptations of his. Just not good at all
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:26 PM   #6183
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had a day to digest Dungeons & Dragons, and nothing's changed from my initial reaction.

It's a fantasy movie, it's kind of a heist movie, a bit of a comedy, an adventure movie with a solid emotional core, and above all it was a satisfying movie that didn't favour one audience over another.

I really like the cast, and admit I didn't think Chris Pine had the comedy chops to pull it off. Rege-Jean Page's role was too short, he was one of the best parts of the movie.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 03:44 PM   #6184
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I've had a day to digest Dungeons & Dragons, and nothing's changed from my initial reaction.

It's a fantasy movie, it's kind of a heist movie, a bit of a comedy, an adventure movie with a solid emotional core, and above all it was a satisfying movie that didn't favour one audience over another.

I really like the cast, and admit I didn't think Chris Pine had the comedy chops to pull it off. Rege-Jean Page's role was too short, he was one of the best parts of the movie.
Went to it early in the run, cause we wanted to get out for the night. We all really liked it.

While I'm very invested in the grand soap opera of the MCU, I would probably enjoy this movie more if it were a 1 off, or if they just did a brand new story, brand new characters, brand new cast, but followed the same tone / rules and logic of the universe.

Having some good light hearted action movies that exist and 1 off experiences is something that our media landscape really needs.

When they inevitably release 3 sequels to this movie, I think it will very quickly resemble Pirates, Fast, Transformers... where the first one was beloved at the time but doesn't hold up in the wake of them beating the concept to death, and the later installments won't even be worth my time.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:55 PM   #6185
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Went to it early in the run, cause we wanted to get out for the night. We all really liked it.

While I'm very invested in the grand soap opera of the MCU, I would probably enjoy this movie more if it were a 1 off, or if they just did a brand new story, brand new characters, brand new cast, but followed the same tone / rules and logic of the universe.

Having some good light hearted action movies that exist and 1 off experiences is something that our media landscape really needs.

When they inevitably release 3 sequels to this movie, I think it will very quickly resemble Pirates, Fast, Transformers... where the first one was beloved at the time but doesn't hold up in the wake of them beating the concept to death, and the later installments won't even be worth my time.

sorry I'm confused, the D&D movie is a one off? I'm not sure what it has to do with the MCU? Do you mean because it's adapted from the tabletop game? It tells a contained story and it's part of a MCU like plan? Sorry I'm very lost.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:05 PM   #6186
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I know I normally recommend movies, but today I have to tell you to stay away from Thinner. I usually love Stephen King movies but this one was one of my least favorite adaptations of his. Just not good at all
Thinner is a fantastic rainy Saturday afternoon TBS movie, that's about it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 09:41 PM   #6187
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
sorry I'm confused, the D&D movie is a one off? I'm not sure what it has to do with the MCU? Do you mean because it's adapted from the tabletop game? It tells a contained story and it's part of a MCU like plan? Sorry I'm very lost.
I think it should be a one off. But it won't be.

I guess that's what I was saying.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 11:05 AM   #6188
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think he's basically saying he's happy if a good movie is not spun into endless sequels of diminishing returns like the MCU.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 01:20 PM   #6189
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dungeons & Dragons, distributed by the studio that brought you 11 Mission Impossible movies, 19 Transformers movies, waaay too many G.I. Joe movies, four Yellowstone shows per year, and 37 Star Trek films

Uh-oh.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:21 PM   #6190
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So I watched 'The Pope's Exorcist.'

Again, this is a movie that tells you what you're going to get and then delivers it. So as long as your expectations are in line with that promise then you're going to like it.

Its nothing ground-breaking but I found it entertaining enough for what it was.

I enjoyed it as well, mostly because of Crowe's performance. It's not a particularly scary movie, but the gore/makeup and special effects are well done and the cinematography is terrific.

It doesn't come close to the classics of the genre though.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 04:44 PM   #6191
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I enjoyed it as well, mostly because of Crowe's performance. It's not a particularly scary movie, but the gore/makeup and special effects are well done and the cinematography is terrific.

Exorcist 3 is actually really good along with of course the original. And the Exorcism of Emily Rose is another good exorcist movie.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 09:41 PM   #6192
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Caught the two movies Apple TV+ has been pushing at me a lot lately:

Ghosted: A romantic spy action comedy whose biggest appeal is the attractive leads in de Armas and Evans. This tries really hard to be like True Lies and mostly falls flat. Had a few good moments but needed to lean more into parody instead of being serious. Worst parts were Adrien Brody's villain and some really poor dialog. The action was fine with a couple memorable moments but I didn't like how much they relied on popular songs to get us engaged for these scenes.5/10

]
My wife picked this for us to watch tonight, Ugh. 5/10 is extremely kind. Acting was extremely cheesy and contrived. I rarely reach for my phone during a movie but that's the only thing that kept me in my seat for this one. Do yourselves a favor and skip this one.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:13 PM   #6193
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I liked Charlie Wilson's War well enough, but it's not the upper tier of Mike Nichols for me.
Another based on a true story directed by Nichols I really like is Silkwood.

Just watched Silkwood, thanks for the recommendation it's an amazing film. All the performances are top notch and looking back in 2023 you would say duh but when it was released Kurt Russell and Cher were not well known actors. Plus Cher playing a lesbian named Dolly is wonderful and landed her an Oscar nomination. But Streep really carries the film, and gives one of her best performances. Its a really engaging film that I was really invested in all the characters and where the story was going. Based on a true story as well.

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 05-05-2023 at 11:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 11:52 PM   #6194
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Even the very end where she holds that smiling face through the end credits for what seems like an eternity (apparently 3 minutes) was brilliant. I kept waiting for the black credits to roll but the camera stays on her while she holds that pose.
I had the exact opposite reaction… I thought it was lame and unnecessary, almost ruined a really good film and performance.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:17 AM   #6195
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Even the very end where she holds that smiling face through the end credits for what seems like an eternity (apparently 3 minutes) was brilliant. I kept waiting for the black credits to roll but the camera stays on her while she holds that pose.
I thought it was a great shot. Super creepy.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 10:43 AM   #6196
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

No its not particularly scary, I just...most horror movies arent for me, I just dont really enjoy them...slashers, etc, I found the premise of this film to be interesting.

Russel Crowe though...I think was unintentionally perfect?

His brutal Italian wasnt obnoxiously off-putting which was unexpected, but he plays this portly out-of-shape Priest rather well...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #6197
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dungeons and Dragons was great! Had a ton of fun with it. And my hopes are we visit Icewind Dale a bunch more times. Namely with a certain group of characters which have a long long line of rock solid stories to build a trilogy off of. I wanted this to be a good barometer for more D&D movies and I think it passed the test. Bring me Drizzt and Thibledorf to the big screen!

The Pope's Exorcist was great. It gave you all the Exocist tropes geared down for a softer viewing experience. May not have been absolutely terrifying but it told the story really well. And good potential to make it a franchise which I believe they've left the option open for.

Ghosted sucked. It was Hallmark romance garbage paid for and shined up by Apple. I got what they were trying to do with the gender role reversal stuff but they did the idea a disservice IMO.

Uhm, re watched Spielbergs Duel last night, what a fantastic movie. Bare bones low budget brilliance from the 70s.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #6198
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A bunch of stuff came up on my feeds about Snatch, so I decided to watch again after many years. The movie holds up so well. The quirky characters, fast pace, great dialogue and plot. Kind of refreshing to watch over again after all the years.
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ripTDR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 09:43 PM   #6199
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Just watched Silkwood, thanks for the recommendation it's an amazing film. All the performances are top notch and looking back in 2023 you would say duh but when it was released Kurt Russell and Cher were not well known actors. Plus Cher playing a lesbian named Dolly is wonderful and landed her an Oscar nomination. But Streep really carries the film, and gives one of her best performances. Its a really engaging film that I was really invested in all the characters and where the story was going. Based on a true story as well.
I'm glad you liked it!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 03:33 AM   #6200
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3. The villian is great. By the end of the movie you really hate him. Especially if you're an animal lover. I think it's my favourite of the three.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote