Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2023, 11:01 PM   #5781
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Interesting. Still haven't seen, friends are telling me to

84% and certified on RT. Did all these critics just give a sympathy thumbs up to honour Boseman's memorial project?
You have to take all critical ratings with a dump-truck full of salt now, especially concerning anything thats pumped out by Disney.

Did all those critics give the movie a 'sympathy thumbs up?' No, probably not.

Did a bunch of those critics have a Disney-clad arm shoved so far up their ass that it forced their thumbs into an erect position?

Oh yes. Almost certainly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:43 AM   #5782
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

After just watching it I'm on the side of Black Panther 2 being a bad movie. It's way too long, the CGI is awful, and the teenage scientist girl was insufferable. I really realized just how much Boseman drove the first movie, because his presence was sorely missed here. Aside from Angela Bassett the whole movie felt like sidekicks and background characters trying too hard to make an impact

The MCU seems like it's in a real rut now, the only movie post-Endgame that was worth a damn was Spiderman No Way Home
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 09:09 AM   #5783
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Black Panther 2 was by far the 2nd best superhero movie of 2022. It's miles behind The Batman but miles ahead of Black Adam or Dr Strange 2.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:15 AM   #5784
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
You can't Yoho in here to drop a statement like that without some clarification.

Scott Pilgrim, Shaun of Dead and Hot Fuzz are all near perfect movies and 100% rewatchable anytime they're on.
Haha. Fair enough.

I strongly dislike Scott pilgrim. I hate everything about it. Michael Cera is annoying.

Shaun of the dead is great.

I have many problems with hot fuzz. The first half hour is great, after that it drops off, then gets good for the last 10 minutes. I thought the horror/thriller aspect was so poorly done. It was only fun when it was a cop action parody. All of the horror stuff sucked.

Soho was an interesting concept that was once again ruined by his poor take on thriller/horror. It started off good and then just devolved into terrible cliches and bad storytelling.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #5785
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Actually, baby driver was probably his second best movie.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:55 AM   #5786
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Haha. Fair enough.

I strongly dislike Scott pilgrim. I hate everything about it. Michael Cera is annoying.
I really liked Michael Cera in Super Bad and Arrested Development.

Scott Pilgrim is painful to watch. So fataing painful. It's like that try-hard quirky humour/style that I hate. Similar style to Everything Everywhere All at Once or whatever the name of that ####ty movie is that is getting some Oscar buzz - that one I walked out of from sheer boredom with maybe 15 minutes left. I just couldn't do it anymore.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 11:05 AM   #5787
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never actually watched Scott Pilgrim because the actual comic is truly, truly awful. Just absolute bottom tier twee garbage with an insufferable protag and uninteresting self-indulgent plotting. Bryan Lee O'Malley sucks.

As far as Edgar Wright goes, I'd rank them

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Baby Driver
3. Hot Fuzz
4. The World's End
5. Last Night In Soho

? Scott Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:19 PM   #5788
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

I have many problems with hot fuzz. The first half hour is great, after that it drops off, then gets good for the last 10 minutes. I thought the horror/thriller aspect was so poorly done. It was only fun when it was a cop action parody. All of the horror stuff sucked.
All for the greater good.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:21 PM   #5789
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually agree with that Hot Fuzz take. The parts that are good, are fantastic. But the entire middle bit really lets it down
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #5790
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So much to love with Scott Pilgrim, Alison Brie, Clash at Demonhead, Casa Loma, Lee's Palace, battling the exes like video game bosses, Aubrey Plaza. So damn enjoyable. I caught it in the theater then bought the BluRay, probably have watched it close to 10 times.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #5791
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch BP2 after the discussion here

I liked Namor and the Queen, they were well acted

The story and introduction of the underwater kingdom was interesting. It had things going for it

Freeman and the feds storyline was pretty garbage. Acted like a bad TV episode. I suppose it was supposed to be the comedic relief?

Unfortunately after watching avatar 2 these blue people riding whales looked bargain bin quality. Hard to take much of the action sequences seriously when it looks that cheap

The only action part I thoroughly enjoyed was Gurira's spear fighting. She's an absolute badass. The ladies did carry it impressively

The first movie was superior in a few ways, but namely the action

And yes, the MIT prodigy Riri was not charismatic whatsoever and I doubt that that's what they were going for with the character. Really could've done without the iron man knockoff part

Overall pretty watchable with a touching tribute .. somewhere between a 6 and 7 out of 10

Pretty average marvel fare with subpar visuals. But far from the "piece of trash" as was advertised here

I think some people are exaggerating a bit. It's a mixed bag, sure, but not all bad

Given the exaggerated hate i wouldnt be surprised if the all female cast carrying the torch for boseman was part of the underlying issue for some

See: lady Ghostbusters

Hopefully I'm wrong there. I thought they were great (minus the girl)
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 01:11 PM   #5792
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The all female Ghostbusters remake is the 2nd best Ghostbusters movie made (runs and hides)
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:37 PM   #5793
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
And yes, the MIT prodigy Riri was not charismatic whatsoever and I doubt that that's what they were going for with the character. Really could've done without the iron man knockoff part
The whole point of the character (Ironheart) is that she's an Iron Man knockoff -- or I guess "inspired by" Iron Man.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:09 PM   #5794
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The whole point of the character (Ironheart) is that she's an Iron Man knockoff -- or I guess "inspired by" Iron Man.
Thanks. Thats good to know. There's almost nothing redeeming about her character though. Kind of a guarded and snarky smart kid but without the humour or gravitas of Stark, and without moments of kindness/selflessness that say that this kid is future hero material

At least someone like Kate Bishop had things going for her character that made her easy to root for
Old 02-03-2023, 03:13 PM   #5795
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The all female Ghostbusters remake is the 2nd best Ghostbusters movie made (runs and hides)
I'm not a follower of the franchise tbh.

I saw the all female one because the way it was advertised had appeal to an outsider like myself

I enjoyed it as a more modern comedy with a sci-fi twist

Funny enough, maybe it was the more serious/dramatic tone of afterlife but I just couldn't get excited enough to watch it

I like the theme song though!
Old 02-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #5796
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I didn't mind the all female Ghostbusters, but I really liked Afterlife. But that could be because Mckenna Grace is so adorable.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:59 PM   #5797
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Afterlife was so boring. No idea how you can make a Ghostbusters movie devoid of any fun or humour.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:25 AM   #5798
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
So much to love with Scott Pilgrim, Alison Brie, Clash at Demonhead, Casa Loma, Lee's Palace, battling the exes like video game bosses, Aubrey Plaza. So damn enjoyable. I caught it in the theater then bought the BluRay, probably have watched it close to 10 times.
Alison Pill
Brie Larson
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #5799
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Combined Goon's girlfriend and Captain Marvel, ha!

Love Alison Brie though.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 07:33 PM   #5800
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched 2 films today, both very different from each other.

Avatar-Way of Water: Okay, so we drop back into this alien world with little to no recap of events that passed. All of a sudden, there's another war with almost no explanation. They jump to a new environment where we go through the same thing as in the first Avatar, learning the ways of the locals, except this time the newbs are the forest Navi. cool...

Everything is carefully laid out to build to the finale battle, almost a little too carefully laid out. While I deeply appreciated the spectacle, attention to detail of how a sinking ship goes down, and the general aesthetic, this is a film that just leaves you feeling sorta...meh. Despite the overt father themes, I wasn't moved enough. I will say that it is a technical marvel, and was very nice to look at, but I don't know that we need the obvious sequel that is coming.

Then, we came home and watched Banshees of Inisherin on demand. I had heard quite a bit about this, and I'm a big McDonagh fan, but it wasn't what I expected. Let's start with the good: the performances are fantastic. There really isn't a lot of plot, and the dialogue isn't overly complex, but the actors really inhabit every inch of these characters, especially Farrell and Condon (the sister). I was really taken by the cinematography. It's a breathtaking landscape, and so those shots are always going to be pretty, but it's hard to make simple shots have meaning and tell a story, or be beautiful. Ben Davis, who has done a ton of Marvel movies, really nails the ability to tell a story through imagery and shot composition.

The disappointing part? There was an exploration of complex emotional subjects that didn't really get past a surface level delving. I thought there was such potential to get some big moments, and there are some scenes that hit home, but it only skitters across the surface without really having a deeper conversation. I was left a bit wanting.

Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoyed the film, but it wasn't oscar worthy to me. Chalk it up to an industry that barely produces anything of value these days I guess. A film like this will stand out starkly when there's little to compare it to. In prior years, this would have been an indie darling that had a small following, but that's it.

Overall, I give Avatar 6/10, and Banshees 8/10.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: