Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #61
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I think that car2go works in Calgary because it really is like a slightly cheaper taxi, something we are short on.

Obviously not good after a night of drinking, but still has its uses.
But on the flip side, driving downtown to go to the bar or whatever. You can take a car2go there, and then cab home saving money, and then you have your car at home in the morning so you don't have to go pick it up anywhere
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheerio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #62
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

$1000 deductible will hurt if you ever get into an accident with these cars and its your fault.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #63
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Supposedly there was a car2go car parked on 4th Ave. and holding up traffic in rush hour yesterday.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #64
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenarms View Post
Supposedly there was a car2go car parked on 4th Ave. and holding up traffic in rush hour yesterday.
If that is indeed true than I believe the renter that parked it there will be billed for the applicable violations.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #65
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
But on the flip side, driving downtown to go to the bar or whatever. You can take a car2go there, and then cab home saving money, and then you have your car at home in the morning so you don't have to go pick it up anywhere
The home area has to be expanded for this to work but I know what you mean.
If im within that home area looking for a night on the town, chances are ill pay $4 extra for a cab to come directly to me.
If I am at a more outer location then it makes plenty of sense to spend $13 on a car.

Based on how many cars are sitting available at any given time, my guess is the home area starts to broaden real quick.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #66
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenarms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
If that is indeed true than I believe the renter that parked it there will be billed for the applicable violations.
Anyone know the parking situation there? Is it legal to park outside of rush hour and then becomes illegal afterwards?

If it was legal when it was parked, then I doubt there would be any fallout to the renter. I wonder what car2go does with these? Do that have people who drive around in pairs and move these cars?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #67
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pick up a date in Car2go, your on the clock baby
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #68
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Anyone know the parking situation there? Is it legal to park outside of rush hour and then becomes illegal afterwards?
Along most (perhaps even all) of 4th Ave there's parking allowed from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm, no parking/stopping allowed from 3:30 to 6:00 pm, and free parking thereafter (with some blocks not having parking from 1:00 to 7:00 am).

Quote:
If it was legal when it was parked, then I doubt there would be any fallout to the renter. I wonder what car2go does with these? Do that have people who drive around in pairs and move these cars?
Oh no, there's definitely fall-out for the renter. See http://www.car2go.com/calgary/en/fil...ry_parking.pdf

Do not end your rental in restricted zones
at any time. This includes valet, commercial,
customer service, loading, taxi and
handicapped zones, and any location with
commuter time restrictions or signs reading

“no stopping” or “no parking.”**

**Members are responsible for any tickets, parking
fines, and towing or storage fees assessed during their
rental or after they have completed their rental as
a result of being improperly or illegally parked.

Presuming the car got towed, a Car2Go employee would get it out of the impound lot and Car2Go would invoice the person who parked the car there for the cost of getting it back out of the impount lot.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #69
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I surprised a tow truck didn't grab the car2go at 3:30:01 PM, as those vultures are typically waiting to make an easy buck.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #70
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Used it for the first time today. I took a walk down to check out the lobby of the Bow. There was one parked one block south, super easy to just get in and drive off. 12 minute drive with a cost of $4.40 (including tax). Still cheaper than if I had grabbed a cab to head back home.

It was also the first time for me driving a Smart Car, just had to get used to letting up on the gas as it shifted but it was a pretty nice little ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #71
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also used tried out Car2go last week - was a painless process to checkout / check in the car and go.

The hardest part about the process is finding a car. As expected many people grab a car from downtown after work to go home - there are times it's a 5-6 block walk to the closest car. According to the map, you can see how cars seem to cluster up around frequent users that are one way trips - a far off spot in West Hillhurst always seems to have 3 cars around it.

The c2g website doesn't show any downtown parkades accepting cars - anyone know a designated parking spot in the downtown core? Website seems to claim there is.

I'm quite happy with the service though and as long as a car is in reasonable proximity when I need it I'll use it. I do wonder how this will work in winter when it's -30... not sure how well these Smart cars will start in the winter.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #72
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I also used tried out Car2go last week - was a painless process to checkout / check in the car and go.

The hardest part about the process is finding a car. As expected many people grab a car from downtown after work to go home - there are times it's a 5-6 block walk to the closest car. According to the map, you can see how cars seem to cluster up around frequent users that are one way trips - a far off spot in West Hillhurst always seems to have 3 cars around it.

The c2g website doesn't show any downtown parkades accepting cars - anyone know a designated parking spot in the downtown core? Website seems to claim there is.

I'm quite happy with the service though and as long as a car is in reasonable proximity when I need it I'll use it. I do wonder how this will work in winter when it's -30... not sure how well these Smart cars will start in the winter.
In James Short, MacDougall, Centennial and City Centre parkades you can park. The specific spots you can park in the parkades depends on which parkade you are in.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #73
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just a word of advice. Make sure you end the rental exactly as they tell you. I turned the car off, and the screen said the rental was over. However, I think you also need to go to the front of the vehicle to end the rental. I missed or wasn't directed to do that part.

Long story short, I got a $80 bill for a 5 minute one way trip. I called in, and they said they would possibly refund me in a week or so.

So, just make sure each time you are checking and rechecking. Just so you don't get a nasty surprise like me.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #74
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Just a word of advice. Make sure you end the rental exactly as they tell you. I turned the car off, and the screen said the rental was over. However, I think you also need to go to the front of the vehicle to end the rental. I missed or wasn't directed to do that part.
Yep, you do need to scan the reader again when you end the rental, just like when you started it. It's also what locks the doors - so you probably left the car unlocked by not scanning out.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #75
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup I remember reading some tweets they sent out about making sure to scan your card at the end of the rental, and when I was ending the trip yesterday the Nav screen does make mention of it too.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #76
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, the ending process is a bit confusing and poorly set up. Once you choose to end the session, it uses verbage that implies you're done and can walk away. The only reason I didn't leave was because the handles didn't lock and I was a bit leery. I think 2 of the 4 minutes of my rental session were spent trying to figure out why the doors wouldn't lock, and then again even after I tapped by keycard. Oh, and then I had to wonder if I had accidentally just logged back in.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #77
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'm seeing this problem developing in Sunnyside, most cars are clumping into the Kensington/10th street area and not many get back east into the community. The car parked in front of my house is already gone today.

With all the tracking and info Car2Go can get from their system I wonder if we'll see them re-jig the home area and move cars away from areas that they have never been used in (for example there are quite a few up in Renfrew by 16th avenue that don't look to have been moved or even used yet). Allowing them to put more cars into the re-designed home area that is getting the most use of the cars.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #78
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I agree, the ending process is a bit confusing and poorly set up. Once you choose to end the session, it uses verbage that implies you're done and can walk away. The only reason I didn't leave was because the handles didn't lock and I was a bit leery. I think 2 of the 4 minutes of my rental session were spent trying to figure out why the doors wouldn't lock, and then again even after I tapped by keycard. Oh, and then I had to wonder if I had accidentally just logged back in.
What is weird is I have rented about 6 times with them now. I have followed the same process all 6 times, and 4 times I was charged properly, 2 times I got very large bills. I admit I should have been more cautious, but that verbiage made me think everything was fine. Oh well, hopefully I get a refund and lesson learned.

Overall I love the service, and my wife is going to sign up too.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #79
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
With all the tracking and info Car2Go can get from their system I wonder if we'll see them re-jig the home area and move cars away from areas that they have never been used in (for example there are quite a few up in Renfrew by 16th avenue that don't look to have been moved or even used yet). Allowing them to put more cars into the re-designed home area that is getting the most use of the cars.
I don't think revising the home area would work -, you'd just suddenly exclude frequent users that happened to be on the periphery. Maybe offering people credits to evenly distribute cars when they park?

Sadly I think the only way to do it would to employ a team of staff to constantly relocate cars and, 'spread' them out.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #80
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So rearkades there is 1 designated car2go spot on the bottom floor of each of the 4 parkades, as well you can park on the top floor of any of the 4 parkades for free.