Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #541
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

New one...

Ward 7: Heather McRae: https://livewirecalgary.com/2020/10/...rd-7-campaign/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Bit lost in the shuffle but some folk are putting their names in for Counsel seats...

Ward 8: Anna Murphy: https://livewirecalgary.com/2020/09/...er-councillor/

Ward 2: Kim Tyers: https://livewirecalgary.com/2020/09/...ce-for-ward-2/

Ward 11: Kourtney Branagan: https://livewirecalgary.com/2020/09/...te-in-ward-11/
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #542
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kind of odd reading that, she seems to align with Druh on a lot of issues. I'm not sure what is going to differentiate her. Now if she wants to run in Ward 4...(please someone run in Ward 4).
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #543
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Kind of odd reading that, she seems to align with Druh on a lot of issues. I'm not sure what is going to differentiate her. Now if she wants to run in Ward 4...(please someone run in Ward 4).
It might just be that she's not Druh. Not unlike Nenshi, Farrell is a lighting rod and divisive personality in city politics...so having a candidate that shares similar positions, but with a fresh face, may entice voters.

I have no idea who this person is btw.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #544
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I fully acknowledge this is tinfoil hat territory, but my first impression reading that profile was, "Ah, here's the kamikaze candidate recruited by the Manning Institute whose only job is to siphon votes away from Farrell allowing the UCP-aligned slate candidate to come in up the middle and win."
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #545
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's an indication that Druh is finally going to retire from Council. 20 years is too long.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #546
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worth noting that Heather is married to Stephen Carter.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #547
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Maybe it's an indication that Druh is finally going to retire from Council. 20 years is too long.
One can only hope. She's had more than enough time in city council.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #548
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I fully acknowledge this is tinfoil hat territory, but my first impression reading that profile was, "Ah, here's the kamikaze candidate recruited by the Manning Institute whose only job is to siphon votes away from Farrell allowing the UCP-aligned slate candidate to come in up the middle and win."
I see indications that she very well might be the more right-leaning candidate. Projects need smaller budgets, Farrell governing from an ideological position, Ward 7 voices not being heard. Her position is not necessarily a bad thing, although I wouldn't go as far to say Ward 7 members aren't being heard. Have they even bothered to reach out to Farrell? She is one of the most approachable sitting Councillors willing to talk to city residents. Sounds like people just don't agree with her voting record.

Will be interesting to see if Farrell continues on. She's been there for a long time now.

That said, I have no doubt that Ward 7 will find itself a UCP acolyte to run as part of the slate, whether that ends up McCrae or someone else. I suspect because of the progressive vote in that Ward that the candidate will be more muted on their alignment though. Sort of like a "back door" entry plan without saying too much.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #549
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Couple interesting things with this. First is that I believe her husband is former campaign manager to Nenshi and Redford.

Second is that she was the campaign manager for Druh last year (taken from twitter so not sure if true.)
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #550
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Worth noting that Heather is married to Stephen Carter.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #551
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdso View Post
Couple interesting things with this. First is that I believe her husband is former campaign manager to Nenshi and Redford.

Second is that she was the campaign manager for Druh last year (taken from twitter so not sure if true.)
So possibly Druh's hand picked replacement?
Old 10-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #552
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Then it's a really long con... she's popped up as retweets (I don't follow her) on my twitter feed for years (that's how I knew she was running). So unless there is some really extreme dedication to the bit you can put the tinfoil hat away.

Some other possible explanations...

Druh is retiring
Druh intends to run for Mayor
Druh intends to run in a different ward due to recent ward boundary changes
... or Ms. McRae just wants the job and is willing to compete for it.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #553
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdso View Post
She most certainly was in 2013. Not sure about 2017 though.

If I had to guess I would say this may be Farrell's approved replacement.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #554
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

With regard to Heather McRae,
My wife is volunteering on her campaign, and knows her pretty well.

I can assure you, she is not any kind of kamikaze candidate, she's running a pretty straight campaign.

She was in fact Druh Farrell's campaign manager (Don't know which/how many times), but neither I nor my wife have any insight into what this does/doesn't mean about Druh's plans.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #555
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully she's her own person and has her own ideas. Council needs new voices not recycled ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #556
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I see indications that she very well might be the more right-leaning candidate. Projects need smaller budgets, Farrell governing from an ideological position, Ward 7 voices not being heard. Her position is not necessarily a bad thing, although I wouldn't go as far to say Ward 7 members aren't being heard. Have they even bothered to reach out to Farrell? She is one of the most approachable sitting Councillors willing to talk to city residents. Sounds like people just don't agree with her voting record.

Will be interesting to see if Farrell continues on. She's been there for a long time now.

That said, I have no doubt that Ward 7 will find itself a UCP acolyte to run as part of the slate, whether that ends up McCrae or someone else. I suspect because of the progressive vote in that Ward that the candidate will be more muted on their alignment though. Sort of like a "back door" entry plan without saying too much.
Divisive as she is (for not particularly good reasons), it might be nice to see some experienced hands like her run for the [hopefully to be renamed] provincial NDP. Not sure that's appealing to her...but maybe someone like Woolley or Carra could help deepen the NDP's bench.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #557
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain why a group like the manning institute running a "slate" of candidates is such a bad thing? They still have to campaign in their own wards and attempt to convince the people there to vote for them no? There isn't an option to vote for a group as far as I have seen in Calgary elections.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #558
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah guys, what is wrong with a coalesced thinktank with an established history of running fake Facebook pages targeting candidates they don't like, getting dark money from sources they won't disclose, and who are on the record as wanting to import Trump-esque politics to Canada trying to run a slate of local candidates?

What could be wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #559
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yeah guys, what is wrong with a coalesced thinktank with an established history of running fake Facebook pages targeting candidates they don't like, getting dark money from sources they won't disclose, and who are on the record as wanting to import Trump-esque politics to Canada trying to run a slate of local candidates?

I mean that doesn't really say anything besides "I don't agree with them".
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #560
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

So they are going to build a wall?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat