Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #441
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
My favourite part of this clip is just after the 11 second mark Gaudreau comes flying in at seven feet high.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #442
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I would love to have Getlaf's head in a vice and go to town on him with a belt sander. Him and Silverberg always get points against the Flames it seems. It's to a point where he is my most hated opposing player. Of course no games against these jerks for 2 months when he was out.

Glad to see the Flames deny Anaheim of that loser point late like that. It seem's like if Ferland is going that top line goes. If he's not going that line doesn't do a lot.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #443
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
This timeout stuff. Is there any proof it does anything to change momentum? Especially in the NHL where there are long TV timeout 3 times in a period.

I could see in a junior game without the TV breaks but the NHL has long breaks throughout the game.
No proof of which I'm aware, but coaches use(d) it regularly to either break up the other team's momentum or steady their own guys. Old school now - at least a bit - with coaches wanting to wait for possible challenges, but at least anecdotally effective.

See here:
https://thehockeywriters.com/what-ha...mely-timeouts/

or

http://www.prosmarthockey.com/blog/e...rategy-coaches

and someone wrote a thesis on it (at least in basketball...):
https://scholarship.tricolib.brynmaw...pdf?sequence=2

This last one does indicate modest gains after a timeout (defined as one taken after 6 consecutive points were scored against the team) in basketball and shows that there can be some momentum shift.

Couldn't find one specifically dealing with hockey, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the sports psychology field hasn't (or isn't) studying it.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #444
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm happy that the Flames won last night as I was at the game. But I just don't know what happened to the team last night after the first period. They were dominating and playing great in the first and I think they had 15 or 17 shots or something. They came out pretty flat in the second and either tried to maintain their lead by not being aggressive or Anaheim figured out how to beat the Flames system. The Flames, and pretty much any team, can't expect to win a game by playing one period.
Or it could be that Anaheim is a very good team and pushed back?

Not saying this is your overall take but there's a growing underlying narrative with a lot of people on this board that they're waiting to get fully on board cheering when this team begins to dominate games from start to finish with everything clicking at once.

Lots of parity in the NHL today. Games are always going to have momentum shifts.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #445
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Exactly. I was at the game, and definetly thought the Ducks pushed back harder in the second. It didn't seem like the Flames gave up or stopped trying, just that Anaheim is good enough to not be dominated an entire game.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #446
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I would love to have Getlaf's head in a vice and go to town on him with a belt sander.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #447
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

A major momentum shift was he lack of pressure on the 4 minutes PP. killing that off gave the ducks the push they needed to start clawing back.

Flames played a solid game though and the goal with 16 seconds left definitely put a dagger through he hearts of the ducks.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #448
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Darryl Sutter, Bob Hartley, Backlund, Regehr and countless other suggest otherwise. In fact some of my favorite coaches and players are the non-robots that actually get visibly excited/angry at certain teams.

Hell, even last night you had Flames players suggesting that they hate Anaheim and don't want to lose specifically to them.
Wish they would develop that attitude for when they are playing the Oilers. I'm sick of losing to that embarrassment of a franchise!!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #449
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I would love to have Getlaf's head in a vice and go to town on him with a belt sander. Him and Silverberg always get points against the Flames it seems. It's to a point where he is my most hated opposing player. Of course no games against these jerks for 2 months when he was out.

Glad to see the Flames deny Anaheim of that loser point late like that. It seem's like if Ferland is going that top line goes. If he's not going that line doesn't do a lot.
It's no coincidence that the Flames struggles with the Ducks coincide with Getzlaf entering the league. Has any other player owned the Flames over the past 15 years like him? I don't know if it's due to some of the stuff that went down when he was with the Hitmen but he's always at his best against the Flames. I don't wish for any injuries or anything like that but his career decline can't come fast enough for me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #450
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Anyone by chance have a link for Afterhours last night?
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #451
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

If the Flames can play like last and have even an average pp, they'll be competitors. Great game to watch.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #452
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm happy that the Flames won last night as I was at the game. But I just don't know what happened to the team last night after the first period. They were dominating and playing great in the first and I think they had 15 or 17 shots or something. They came out pretty flat in the second and either tried to maintain their lead by not being aggressive or Anaheim figured out how to beat the Flames system. The Flames, and pretty much any team, can't expect to win a game by playing one period.
One tam simply cannot dominate all night. There is too much parity. Look at the game in Anaheim a little while ago: the Ducks dominated the 1st (thoroughly), yet the Flames dominated the 2nd. And then the Ducks dominated the 3rd again.

Both teams are trying to win. And momentum changes.

I was actually quite happy with the flames' effort int the 2nd. The special teams lost them the momentum for sure (which was not good), but the effort was there and whenever there were stretches of 5 on 5, the Flames seemed to take over again.

The Flames' brutal PP, and the weak shorty, changed the game. If that shorty doesn't go in, I think Smith pitches a shutout. Once it did, you knew the momentum was fully with the Ducks.

But the Flames persevered. And that is the important thing.

I really think many fans' expectations are way too high.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #453
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
When I subscribed to Center Ice through DirectTV I always received after hours. Now that I subscribe online I rarely, if ever, get it. Feed ends almost instantly after game.
This is my experience, too. When I had it through cable I saw it all the time, now through the internet they cut out right away.

I do switch to the US feeds most times after a game as often their post-game shows are still shown.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #454
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there an ATL report?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #455
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's no coincidence that the Flames struggles with the Ducks coincide with Getzlaf entering the league. Has any other player owned the Flames over the past 15 years like him? I don't know if it's due to some of the stuff that went down when he was with the Hitmen but he's always at his best against the Flames. I don't wish for any injuries or anything like that but his career decline can't come fast enough for me.
The only player that dominates us more than Getzlaf is sadly McDavid since he entered the league.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #456
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Or it could be that Anaheim is a very good team and pushed back?

Not saying this is your overall take but there's a growing underlying narrative with a lot of people on this board that they're waiting to get fully on board cheering when this team begins to dominate games from start to finish with everything clicking at once.

Lots of parity in the NHL today. Games are always going to have momentum shifts.
This isn't directly at you but I've seen this argument from many GG's supporters. To me, it's completely ridiculous. Whether there is parity or not in the league is completely irrelevant. Why is Vegas better than Calgary? I would take our roster over theirs every day and twice on Sunday. New Jersey? Dallas? Boston?

It's great we're fighting for the playoffs. But looking at our division, it's completely disappointing we're not fighting for the division title. Kings and Sharks are nothing special IMO, yet we're 7 points behind LA and 1 point behind SJ who have 2 games in hand (so it could be 5 points).

I agree that it's completely unrealistic to expect that everything will be clicking at once for an entire season or even for a prolonged period of time. But the Flames cannot get it for just little bit.
If the offense is great, the defense sucks. If we're playing well defensively, our scoring dries up. If both are decent, our PP lets us down. If our PP is hot (as it was for a while), the PK sucks.

It is incredibly frustrating. It's why I find it difficult to get excited even though the Flames are playing well (minus the PP), I just know the wheels are going to come off at some point soon.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #457
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Was there an ATL report?
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=295
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #458
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe I'm overreacting but I really hated that Beauchemin crosscheck on Hathaway at center ice and think the Flames should send that in just in the name of protecting their players. It's a blindside play to an unsuspecting player, the puck is not there, and it was clearly intentional.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #459
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Ducks have absolutely mastered d-bag hockey. Get down in a game run the goalie go full goon. In last nights game I really wish we had a Ryan Reeves to go out there and make the Ducks pee themselves.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #460
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Final period was a nail bitter and we really relied on Mike Smith there at the end. But boy what a gargantuan victory that was. To not give them a point either in the dying seconds is essentially the equivalent of flipping them the bird right in their faces. Glad Perry was in the line up and glad Kesler came back to witness that.

The way Ferland is going right now, he’s the key to finding chemistry for that 1st line. Everyone knows about that shot, but his playmaking skills and ability to get on the forecheck is underrated. Really hope he can maintain that for the better part of the season. Great goal by Dougie, he’s had a couple good games which is nice to see especially with the whole Freddie situation.

Overall, very satisfying victory and glad those Ducks get to go off to their mandatory vacations with a sour taste in their mouths considering how much they’ve bullied us over the years.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote