Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-02-2019, 01:46 AM   #821
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Yeah man. Not trying to single out Idaho, but it's just trippy to be standing in line at the gas station and buddy in front of me is packing heat, right there on his hip. I mean, I guess I'm used to seeing cops with their guns on their hips, but George from accounting is in there to buy a pack of cigs and he's got his gun, just in case? Big giant shiny looking Cougar Magnum from the Goldeneye video game. (Ok, I don't actually know what kind of gun it was, just that it was a big ass revolver that looked like it would take the head off of a cow)

Just so weird to see in real life in broad daylight at the gas station. Dorky white guy in blue jeans, with a shiny revolver hanging off his hip.

Besides the weirdness of that being normal for Americans, I wonder what was going to stop someone from just snatching it out of the holster and running off with it? I mean, do you chase a guy who just stole your gun? He's got the f-ing gun now. You don't really have much say.
I subscribed to r/EDC, an every day carry subreddit. Most threads there are guys who show off a photo of what they normally carry to work.

I mostly subbed to see what kind of multitools various trades people carry, but It’s really shocking to see that every second photo involves a handgun as the OP’s EDC

‘Murcia ... where you need to carry a handgun to feel safe
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:30 AM   #822
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I subscribed to r/EDC, ...
Let me guess? A whole bunch of heroes who carry appendix and have really cool kydex rigs? Future Darwin Award winners!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #823
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they at least remember to sign their organ donation cards.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #824
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I subscribed to r/EDC, an every day carry subreddit. Most threads there are guys who show off a photo of what they normally carry to work.

I mostly subbed to see what kind of multitools various trades people carry, but It’s really shocking to see that every second photo involves a handgun as the OP’s EDC

‘Murcia ... where you need to carry a handgun to feel safe
EDC has a different meaning down in the states compared to what people understand around here...

ironically, Muricans probably think the same thing, "Why are these people keep posting pictures of tools?! i wanna see more GUNS dammit..."

Classic, but sadly true
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #825
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing US Mass Shooting Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
I don’t know how you go about tackling that problem. It’s so deep rooted in their society and it’s now become a social norm almost. The only thing I can think of that might be semi effective is a massive buy back coupled with strict ownership/possession regulations. Your AR15 is worth $1000? We’ll give you $2000 to turn it in. I know it wouldn’t be a panacea and I’m guessing the psycho’s who do this sort of thing wouldn’t turn them in regardless. Whatever action is taken, there will be backlash and there likely will be more blood spilled. But serious action needs to be taken.

Gun control or buy back won’t make any appreciable difference in the short term. What it is though is a step down the long road of changing societal norms. Guns, gun culture, and violence culture need to be turned from acceptable and embraced to unacceptable and shunned. This will take generations if at all - it’s a similar process but much harder than smoking and seatbelts.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #826
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

For smoking, one of the more effective steps (IMO) was removing it from tv and movies.

For guns, this would be similar to eliminating violent movies, video games, etc.

I don’t see it happening any time soon
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #827
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
For smoking, one of the more effective steps (IMO) was removing it from tv and movies.

For guns, this would be similar to eliminating violent movies, video games, etc.

Everyone in the world watches those same films and TV. I don't think that in itself has anything to do with it.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #828
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Violent movies/video games have very little to do with mass shootings, the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese youth play these games up to 3 times more than Americans yet have 600 times less mass shootings.

It's the access to guns...period
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #829
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I agree. It’s the access to guns. It will be a fight but easy access and the attitudes that go along with the access, has to change. I work with U.S. contractors fairly often and these guys hate coming to Canada to work with us because they can’t bring their weapons. I used to engage them in debate but I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut about their guns. They do not take kindly to being challenged on this issue.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #830
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I agree. It’s the access to guns. It will be a fight but easy access and the attitudes that go along with the access, has to change. I work with U.S. contractors fairly often and these guys hate coming to Canada to work with us because they can’t bring their weapons. I used to engage them in debate but I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut about their guns. They do not take kindly to being challenged on this issue.
Thats just because they're grumpy that they cant shup you up....with their guns!

Are they aware that in Canada if safety issues arise we simply call the Police? And they show up?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #831
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

While access is a problem, the desire for guns is where I was comparing with cigarettes. They made it less glamorous and less desirable to have cigs, so access to them became a moot point.

The US has a huge fixation with guns being must-have items, and movies and video games have added to that stigma. Yes they exist in other countries too, but it is like promoting alcohol to an alcoholic... the exact same advertisements have less appeal and effect for different people with different tastes and traits. For Americans with an already pre-existing bias to desiring guns, anything that makes them more appealing is extra effective.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #832
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I should also mention that so many of these guys are ex-military. They have protected their country and its citizens. Sometimes for decades. How do we tell them that they are part of the problem?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #833
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While access is a problem, the desire for guns is where I was comparing with cigarettes. They made it less glamorous and less desirable to have cigs, so access to them became a moot point.

The US has a huge fixation with guns being must-have items, and movies and video games have added to that stigma. Yes they exist in other countries too, but it is like promoting alcohol to an alcoholic... the exact same advertisements have less appeal and effect for different people with different tastes and traits. For Americans with an already pre-existing bias to desiring guns, anything that makes them more appealing is extra effective.
to be fair though, vaping has taken off with the kids and there's virtually none of that on TVs or movies that i have seen.

Murica's obsession with guns is what causes their inclusion in movies, not the other way around imo.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #834
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats just because they're grumpy that they cant shup you up....with their guns!

Are they aware that in Canada if safety issues arise we simply call the Police? And they show up?

And that’s also true there. What percentage of shooters in the States have been stopped by ordinary citizens with guns versus the police? It’s a fantasy that some random with a gun will stop a mass shooting.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #835
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s because kids are being taught evolution

https://twitter.com/user/status/1168615359500492800
Old 09-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #836
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I think my IQ just dropped 50 points watching that.

Damn you science and facts, you're screwing up the U.S.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:18 AM   #837
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Genius to above average?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:43 AM   #838
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
It’s because kids are being taught evolution

https://twitter.com/user/status/1168615359500492800

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #839
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Yay religion
Old 09-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #840
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

have faith that a gun ban is coming as a school in nashville has taken the first courageous step in this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harry-p...-evil-spirits/