Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #561
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a non gun person perspective I ask: why are these mass shootings being done with AR15s usually? If I was going to do something crazy like this, the 1st thing that comes to mind is how bulky and heavy it would be to carry all that ammo and a big AR15. What advantage do these things offer over pistols/handguns? It would seem to me like handguns would do the same job since you wouldn't expect your targets to be wearing body armour.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #562
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There was an FBI analyst on CNN yesterday, and he was saying how the next step really needs to be identifying some of these domestic groups as terrorist organizations and considering this domestic terrorism. It would allow them to charge and potentially jail anyone who is affiliating with these groups. The analyst was insistent that this would be make an impact on people wantonly joining these groups and thinking they are safe from persecution. I tend to agree with this statement, in addition to better gun laws, better mental health strategies, and with an implementation of a program to train citizens on "early warning" alerts.

That said, the downside I see is that a lot of these shooters are posting content that should be flagged earlier. By removing their ability to post (fear of prosecution by association) they may be harder to find the warning signs early.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 08-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #563
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
For a non gun person perspective I ask: why are these mass shootings being done with AR15s usually? If I was going to do something crazy like this, the 1st thing that comes to mind is how bulky and heavy it would be to carry all that ammo and a big AR15. What advantage do these things offer over pistols/handguns? It would seem to me like handguns would do the same job since you wouldn't expect your targets to be wearing body armour.
My guess is just because they're so popular. They're in video games, movies and TV, they've been the weapon of choice of special forces for decades. In the states they're not terribly expensive. People buy fake aimpoint or eotech sites and put them on Airsoft AR15s just to look "tacticool"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #564
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My guess is just because they're so popular. They're in video games, movies and TV, they've been the weapon of choice of special forces for decades. In the states they're not terribly expensive. People buy fake aimpoint or eotech sites and put them on Airsoft AR15s just to look cool.
Easy to shoot, easy to maintain.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #565
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Easy to shoot, easy to maintain.
They are, but I'd wager neither of those matter much to casual buyers
Old 08-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #566
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
AR-15 is a light weight easy to fire weapon. It his readily available high capacity magazines that are also light weight and cheap. .223 ammo is extremely cheap. The .223 round is high velocity and does significant damage for the round. Most body armor is subject to failure based on the velocity of the round from this platform, so even cops with body armor at risk. Given the mix of lethality, accessibility, and cost, the AR-15 should be the weapon of choice. The AK-47 is in the same class for all the same reasons. This is why these should be controlled weapons IMO.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #567
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Because they're fun to shoot, and if you look at the history of these mass murderers almost all of them have spent extensive time at shooting ranges. They buy an AR-15 because it looks cool and they're cheap and easy to obtain. They spend a lot of time at ranges with their new toy learning how to use it effectively. Then when they finally snap, it's 2nd hand nature for them to strap on the AR-15 and start shooting

As for direct advantages over handguns, muzzle velocity and accuracy. If you get shot in the chest with a glock, chances are it misses your vital organs and you can recover in the hospital. If you get shot with an AR-15, the bullet does so much more damage due to the velocity that your chances of bleeding out before getting medical help rise drastically. Using an AR-15 over a handgun guarantees a higher body count, which is what these psychos are after
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #568
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well. The AR 15 sounds absolutely terrifying to be shot with.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #569
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would think being shot with any weapon is kind of terrifying. Which is kind of the point. It doesn't matter what guns they use, if they are accessible, they will be used to kill people. Arguing over suppressors, and bump stocks and magazine capacity is all just a smokescreen. All guns can kill people, having them so easy to own is the problem. America needs to figure that out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #570
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Baton Rogue wal mart

is this one new?
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #571
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stopping Power.

The AR-15 can deliver stopping power on these types of environments. As mentioned you can get hit with a pistol and continue to move/escape. Also, a .556 round will travel through this that a pistol round will not.

It is a well made weapon that is very good at the job for which it was designed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 08-06-2019 at 12:10 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #572
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Baton Rogue wal mart

is this one new?
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Hard to keep track
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #573
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As opposed to any other gun that's also cheap and easy to shoot? Not sure any of those are fun to be shot by either
Old 08-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #574
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I have a feeling that the US has been wiped off a lot of folks travel destinations. My wife and I scrapped plans to go to various places there. The only 2 US States we'd think about going to now are the two that aren't attached to the other 48.

I won’t even transit in the US these days. It just isn’t worth the crap and I’d rather spend my money elsewhere.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #575
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
As opposed to any other gun that's also cheap and easy to shoot? Not sure any of those are fun to be shot by either
That's the problem, uncertainty. We can solve that, though. I'd be willing to take a bunch of different guns and shoot Whitout403 to see which ones scare him the most. For science, of course.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #576
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's the problem, uncertainty. We can solve that, though. I'd be willing to take a bunch of different guns and shoot Whitout403 to see which ones scare him the most. For science, of course.
You can use mine!
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #577
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The m-16 has a full auto selector as well as a 3 round burst selection, wheras the AR-15 has a single shot and semi-auto selector.

The AR-15 is rated at 23 rounds per minute in semi-auto mode, has a errective firing range of 600 yards.

The M-16 is rated at up to 60 rounds per minute in semi automatic mode and about 700 rounds per minute in full auto. Its effective firing range is up to 800 yards.
This can't be right, I emptied 29 rounds in about 20 seconds with a Savage(AR-15 style) rifle a couple of years ago in Vegas, the thing was light as a feather and very easy to shoot. I'm sure someone more use to it could get off far more as it fired as fast as I could pull the trigger. and didn't the Dayton shooter fire over 60 rounds in under 30 seconds?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #578
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Fun fact, Iceland has a large ownership of guns, tough laws, and mandatory licensing requiring classes, proof of proficiency, etc..

This article is a great read, or just watch the video you lazy sob's

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/i...s-2007-n872726
Old 08-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #579
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Fun fact, Iceland has a large ownership of guns, tough laws, and mandatory licensing requiring classes, proof of proficiency, etc..

This article is a great read, or just watch the video you lazy sob's

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/i...s-2007-n872726
To be fair comparing Iceland to the USA is like comparing Greater Victoria, BC to the US.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #580
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
This can't be right, I emptied 29 rounds in about 20 seconds with a Savage(AR-15 style) rifle a couple of years ago in Vegas, the thing was light as a feather and very easy to shoot. I'm sure someone more use to it could get off far more as it fired as fast as I could pull the trigger. and didn't the Dayton shooter fire over 60 rounds in under 30 seconds?
Was that effective fire?

https://checkyourfact.com/2018/02/24...lets-a-second/

I can't speak to the validity of this site, but they quote the manual:

Quote:
According to the Bushmaster AR-15 manual, the firearm has a maximum effective rate of 45 rounds per minute — a far cry from the number touted by Tribe. Competitive shooters can fire at a maximum of three shots per second.
Full auto isn't a useful mode of effective fire. Semi-auto is where all the killing takes places. It allows you to put rounds on target and keep them on target.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote