Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 10:35 AM   #8681
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
Wolf that low is criminal
21 Years Old, AHL Career stats are 56-15-4 with a 0.925 SV% and 2.30 GAA

But what you have to remember is he's signed by the Flames AND he's under 6'4.. probably shouldn't have even made the list
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:41 AM   #8682
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Haha. The only person that would like that trade for Calgary would be Sutter.
Take it and run.

Huberdeau for Gallagher and Anderson
Old 01-17-2023, 10:50 AM   #8683
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huberdeau for two bums sounds like a great trade for us.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:51 AM   #8684
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think people have looked at Gallagher and Anderson lately.

Gallagher has 33 points in his last 81 games the last two seasons - and has 4 more years after this one at $6.5M

Anderson has 46 points in his last 111 games the last two seasons - and has 4 more years after this one at $5.5M

If the Flames make that trade they would be idiots. Huberdeau has struggled but I'd still take the guy who was forced to adjust to a new system, team, and a shock trade that has 146 points in his last 122 games the last two seasons.

People are way to quick to write off Huberdeau after a poor 42 games - after 4 straight seasons way above a PPG.

Seriously fire the entire organization if you make that trade.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-17-2023 at 10:54 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:56 AM   #8685
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I suppose the question is what goalies are higher.
Askarov, Wallstedt, and Knight

Hofer is right behind Wolf
Old 01-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #8686
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gallagher and Anderson are serviceable 3rd line players making top 6 money and their best days behind them. It's basically the Phaneuf trade but twice as bad because of the bad contracts the Flames would be taking on. I love Duhatschek but this proposal is beyond ludicrous.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #8687
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I get the idea. If they regret the Huberdeau deal, they get out of it. A single player making $10M is harder to get rid of over time than two others making $6 or less. They get those two and in a year or so they can shed them for assets. try that with Huberdeau and you likely have to pay to move him.

if Montreal really covets Huberdeau, and there is an once of doubt for his future here, you consider it.

As for Florida, they need to get rid of salary and Bennett makes sense to be the odd man out. also Bennett goes to Montreal, where his Dad's idol also once played, puts on the 93 again and away he goes.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:09 AM   #8688
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Askarov, Wallstedt, and Knight

Hofer is right behind Wolf
Knight - 46
Askarov - 62
Wallstedt - 63
Wolf - 123
Hofer - 125
Sogaard - 138
Levi - 151

No goalies graduated off the list due to age

Glang and Cossa missed the cut but were previously ranked.

That's it for goalies 23 and under that was worth noting.

I think we're lucky to have Wolf. Let's not rush him. Hopefully he makes a case to be in the NHL next year and forces Treliving to move Vladar or Markstrom. I haven't seen Wolf play but his stat lines look good and makes me think he needs to be in the NHL next year. I suppose if they can trade Wolf and get a King's ransom for him I'd be okay with that too, but he doesn't seem to be that highly ranked by many in spite of his winning ways, high save percentage and low goals against average wherever he plays. Is the only hangup his size or is there something in his play?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:13 AM   #8689
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO that would be a good trade for the Flames to make if they were to go the rebuild route. Give up an albatross contact, take on two more, but for half the term. Hopefully you're ready to compete when they are off the books.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 11:14 AM   #8690
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huberdeau for Anderson and Gallagher would have to be the start of a tear down rebuild and result in trading Lindholm, Toffoli, Anderson, Tanev, and Hanifin for sure. Mangiapane, Weegar, and Kadri if there are takers.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:27 AM   #8691
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huberdeau has 146 points in his last 122 games. (1.20 PPG)

He still has 31 points in 42 games this year (0.74 PPG)

You don't trade that for two guys who if you combined their production have 79 points over the last two seasons for Montreal (126 GP) which is 0.63 PPG

Even with his poor start in Calgary Huberdeau out produces these two COMBINED!

The fact this is even a discussion shows how impatient some people are.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-17-2023 at 11:30 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 11:30 AM   #8692
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The idea is that you trade him because his contract hasn't even kicked in and it's likely to be one of the worst in the league. I would say, proportionately, the Gallagher and Anderson contracts are equally as bad, but you get out of them in half the time.

Can you really compete in 2028 with 35 year old Huberdeau on the books for 3 more years at $10.5MM?
Old 01-17-2023, 11:33 AM   #8693
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The idea is that you trade him because his contract hasn't even kicked in and it's likely to be one of the worst in the league. I would say, proportionately, the Gallagher and Anderson contracts are equally as bad, but you get out of them in half the time.

Can you really compete in 2028 with 35 year old Huberdeau on the books for 3 more years at $10.5MM?
Deal with that then. Maybe you can, maybe he's still putting up 65 points a season at that time. Who thought Joe Pavelski would be putting up PPG seasons at 38 years old.

You don't trade a guy who as recent has 42 games ago was seen as a top 10 forward in the NHL because you are scared of what that contract might be in 2028. For two contracts that are even worse, and even more expensive when combined.

Is Jonathan Huberdeau happy with his play this year? 100% he's not. But I also see a guy who fully committed and bought in to trying to be a better defensive and 200 foot player. And his on ice results show that - he's had great defensive outcomes this year.

Maybe give the guy some time to figure out how to produce offense while also being good defensively - which he hasn't really been asked to do in his career prior to this year - before we just write him off completely and trade him for two older and useless players.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-17-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:34 AM   #8694
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Atleast there is a high probability that both of them will end up on LTIR instead of a guy that is softer then new born baby####.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:37 AM   #8695
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Deal with that then. Maybe you can, maybe he's still putting up 65 points a season at that time.

You don't trade that contract for a guy who as recent has 42 games ago was seen as a top 10 forward in the NHL because you are scared of what that contract might be in 2028.
You may be able to deal with it then, or you may not. Maybe no trade materializes for a 35 year old Huberdeau or the cost to get rid of the contract then may be even higher (not like this is a real trade anyway).

I would like this team to make a forward looking trade for once, avoid paying a premium to dump a contract when they should have acted sooner.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:40 AM   #8696
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You may be able to deal with it then, or you may not. Maybe no trade materializes for a 35 year old Huberdeau or the cost to get rid of the contract then may be even higher (not like this is a real trade anyway).

I would like this team to make a forward looking trade for once, avoid paying a premium to dump a contract when they should have acted sooner.
Sure if you can move Huberdeau for an actual return.

But selling at the absolute lowest value of his career, to move him for Gallagher and Andersson would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:41 AM   #8697
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If the cap is close to 100M, yes. otherwise, no.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:44 AM   #8698
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Sure if you can move Huberdeau for an actual return.

But selling at the absolute lowest value of his career, to move him for Gallagher and Andersson would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
I guess I'm simply of the belief that no team can compete if Huberdeau is on the books at $10.5MM beyond the age of 35 (I think it will be sooner, to be fair), so why not get rid of it if the opportunity comes up?

Huberdeau's value is definitely low right now, but I don't think my opinion changes if he scores at a point per game next season either.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:46 AM   #8699
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm just wondering if he will want to be here at the end of the season, and if Sutter will want him to be here either.

Things get even more complicated if Treliving doesn't come back and someone more in line with Darryl takes his spot.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #8700
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm just wondering if he will want to be here at the end of the season, and if Sutter will want him to be here either.

Things get even more complicated if Treliving doesn't come back and someone more in line with Darryl takes his spot.
That is a concern for sure.

If you think moving a 50-60 point player making $10.5 million for 8 years with an NMC is hard, just wait until that player publicly wants out.

It honestly can't be much fun for Huberdeau right now. Hopefully things turn around before it gets to that point.