Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #2501
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Face ID now has an option to 'Set Up an Alternate Appearance', so you can do your initial setup with an unobstructed view of your face, then set up an alternate appearance wearing a mask.

Face ID has gotten really, really good since it was first introduced, and it doesn't have the issue of winter gloves obscuring your fingerprint.
I had no idea this could be done! Thanks!!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #2502
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Face ID now has an option to 'Set Up an Alternate Appearance', so you can do your initial setup with an unobstructed view of your face, then set up an alternate appearance wearing a mask.
Sort of....you basically have to trick it by wearing half a mask while letting it take your picture. It's not ideal....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #2503
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Sort of....you basically have to trick it by wearing half a mask while letting it take your picture. It's not ideal....
Yeah, I heard about the process but didn't know it was that annoying.

I followed the above video just now with my iPhone 11 Pro and it works pretty reliably. I used a sheet of paper to block from the middle of my mouth and bottom left corner of my nose, outward. Tried it with a few different masks and it works, although if the mask rides up too high it sometimes doesn't unlock.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 02-05-2021 at 02:14 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #2504
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But, I would give it a try honestly. 40mm is a good size (they used to come in 38 and 42) and the 44 is very large.

The 40mm is closer to the size of a typical watch. The 44 starts to get into gaudy territory.
I received the 44mm for Christmas, and I'm returning it for the 40mm. I'm not crazy about the look of smart watches in the first place, but the 44 is just too gaudy.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #2505
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah without a receipt it's pretty tough, I don't know of anyone who has had any luck with an exchange at Apple without one, but hey, you never know.

I too was a little worried about size and didn't want to attempt to go into a store to try it on, but I just watched a lot of videos to get an idea. My wrist is about 200mm around and I got the 40. It's pretty perfect in my opinion, but I do like the more standard/classic watch size. I did try on the 44 last time I was there just to confirm my choice, and honestly, it looked too big, but I also really dislike the big, bulky watches that were popular for a while.

Maybe measure your wrist and use that as a reference. But at the end of the day, you'll probably have to try them both on. And if the 40 works better for you, bonus, you don't have to ask for a return!
So no surprise as you have eluded to, no luck with Apple without a receipt so I am going to rip the seal and give it a try. Thanks for taking the time to give me some insight into your own experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2021, 02:06 AM   #2506
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone used an epub/ebook, audio-reader app on iOS? Recommendations?

I have a ton of eBook's, and don't want to pay for their AudioBook versions.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #2507
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just upload them to iCloud, click on them with the Files app, and they're added to the Apple Books app.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #2508
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think he wants his ebooks read to him like an audiobook.

I’m sure there are apps out there but I’ve never used one. The quality of the reader is what makes good audiobooks good. Couldn’t imagine an automated app being able to convey emotion. It might be ok for non-fiction or textbooks.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 10:27 PM   #2509
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been using Overdrive for a while for audio books, mainly because the library supports it. It works really well though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #2510
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at buying an iPad — is there much of a difference between the 6th generation (which my daughter has) and the 2019 and 2020 versions? It’s for my youngest so not too concerned about performance as long as it can run the current apps and OS.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:15 PM   #2511
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The newest iOS update allows you to unlock it while wearing a mask but you need an Apple Watch. It’s similar to how my MacBook will unlock if I wake it up while wearing my watch.

Works pretty good but it won’t work for apps that use FaceID, so it won’t work with Apple Pay. I still have to punch in my password.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:52 PM   #2512
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Has anyone used an epub/ebook, audio-reader app on iOS? Recommendations?

I have a ton of eBook's, and don't want to pay for their AudioBook versions.
The only thing I’ve found that does this in a reasonable way is the Amazon Alexa app. I know it works with books purchased on kindle, I’m not sure about ebooks that have been uploaded.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #2513
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Looking at buying an iPad — is there much of a difference between the 6th generation (which my daughter has) and the 2019 and 2020 versions? It’s for my youngest so not too concerned about performance as long as it can run the current apps and OS.
A 6th generation iPad will run the current OS, but keep in mind that it is already a 3-year-old device. It'll do the job right now, but it will obviously become less useful before a newer model would.

I have an old 4th generation and it did become frustrating once support was dropped for it. Not right away, but its final OS was 10, and over time apps started not being supported/updated or would run poorly. That being said, that thing owed me nothing and still does some of the basics just fine. A couple of weeks ago I finally picked up a new 8th generation for $429.

I would estimate that Apple will keep supporting/updating a 6th generation for 5-6 years, and it is already at 3 years. Of course, it won't become a brick the moment it can't get the latest OS.

I guess it depends what the price is, but a 6th generation should be fine for a few years, especially for a kid.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #2514
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Apple announced today that Apple Music will offer lossless and spatial audio at no extra cost. This will hurt services like Tidal but really shouldn't be a reason for most people to switch from Spotify, etc.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...ossless-audio/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #2515
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spotify stated earlier this year that they were coming out with a lossless service in 2021. I hope like Apple, they offer it at no extra cost.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #2516
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been thinking of going to Tidal, but if Apple is coming out with it, I may switch from Spotify.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #2517
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I've been thinking of going to Tidal, but if Apple is coming out with it, I may switch from Spotify.
I tried Tidal after getting 3 free months. Tried it a few times but the app is super clunky. Didn't work well with my CarPlay either.

I would switch to Apple Music instead. I might do that too from Spotify. I hate to think my fee in some part pays Joe Rogan.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #2518
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I tried Tidal after getting 3 free months. Tried it a few times but the app is super clunky. Didn't work well with my CarPlay either.

I would switch to Apple Music instead. I might do that too from Spotify. I hate to think my fee in some part pays Joe Rogan.
The CarPlay is buggy for sure but I much prefer the layout of Tidal to applemusic. I find it much easier to save tracks without saving the album, and vide versa. It’s a superior app in my opinion, and the only thing holding it back is ridiculous Apple monopoly.

I also find Tidals “track radio” (basically suggestions based on a song you like) to be a great source of new tunes I like.

Came to Tidal for the quality, and stayed for everything else.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #2519
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, not likely to switch away from Spotify on that alone. How much better is lossless going to sound over Bluetooth using A2DP SBC anyway?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #2520
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a cheap-ish Mfi controller for Apple TV? Bonus points if it can also be used on Nintendo Switch.

My kid keeps wanting to try Apple Arcade games, most require a controller, but I can see him losing interest quickly. For $47 I can get something like this that claims to be cross-platform: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HG51ZYK/

Any other recommendations for Apple TV?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote