Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #41
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the desire for a female voice, but there are better options out there than Cassie. Equality should stand for equal opportunity, not codling and acceptance of lower standards. I want my girls to be inspired by someone who’s good at their job who happens to be a woman, not just someone who’s a woman.

Cassie is just not good with play by play. The only color she provides is beige. For those who say she needs time to grow, need to realize she’s in her second decade of this media thing...it’s not going to get better. Time to upgrade.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #42
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doing colour commentary is a skill. You need certain skills to do it. Cassie doesn’t have those skills.

Yes, she’s extremely decorated and a highly respected figure in the sport. I also think she’s very knowledgeable about the game and can make good observations.

She falls flat in her delivery. Every. Single. Time. My issue with Cassie isn’t really what she says, it’s how it takes her a painfully long time to say it.

I actually don’t mind her on a panel or doing interviews. She’s just not cut out for colour commentary. At all.
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #43
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think so because the criticism of her seem to be so greatly out of proportion to her actual quality. There are tonnes of terrible colour commentators that are at least as bad, and seldom endure the kind of enraged reactions that I see pretty frequently to Campbell-Pascall.
Like it or not i think that her husband being a prominent person in the flames organization adds extra fuel to other fans. Mix that with her being poor at calling colour you get the louder criticism.

She does real well in the panels. She should stay there.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #44
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

As it has been mentioned any issues with the content is on the production team. I am sure someone behind the scenes is pushing the narrative.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #45
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once learned a great lesson when someone once told me how people often see themselves in others. Such as a thief expects others to be thieves. A liar suspects others of lying. A cheater suspects others to disloyal. A person with good intention assumes others have the same... and so on

I often wonder about those that quickly pull the misogynistic card, that it's often just the same projection

in regards to Cassie, I think she's too busy wearing so many hats that she can't "just" call the game. Always being the ambassador, not being bias, trying to be perfect will always prevent her from just being Cassie Campbell. Sometimes when your jacket button shoots across the room, you just have to laugh about it. Until she puts away all those roles and just does colour, she'll continue to struggle. But is she better than a lot of the American local games.. yes, Is she better than 90% of the CHL.. easily
Old 03-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #46
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I get the desire for a female voice, but there are better options out there than Cassie. Equality should stand for equal opportunity, not codling and acceptance of lower standards. I want my girls to be inspired by someone who’s good at their job who happens to be a woman, not just someone who’s a woman.
Thank you and I wish more people were like this.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:20 PM   #47
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I have been watching Jennifer Botterill on SN more closely. She is so good on camera now. It wasn't always the case with her but she looks right at home on camera now. Better than Stajan, Sarich or even Hrudey imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #48
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
I once learned a great lesson when someone once told me how people often see themselves in others. Such as a thief expects others to be thieves. A liar suspects others of lying. A cheater suspects others to disloyal. A person with good intention assumes others have the same... and so on

I often wonder about those that quickly pull the misogynistic card, that it's often just the same projection
This stuff needs to be confronted and addressed. It's not enough just to sit on the sidelines and say 'well it's not me saying it so...'.

So when a poster says that the female broadcasters need to "get a room" with Connor, or that one of them is "getting wet" over him - that's ugly, crude and misogynistic junk. And it should be called that.

The problem isn't that the misogynistic card gets pulled quickly. In fact the problem is historically it's been pulled far too slowly.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #49
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Glad to hear the misogynistic commenters got suspended.

That said, there is plenty objective reasons she isn’t cut out for commentary. Most have been posted here. To me, She comes off as someone who preps way too much and at first drop of the hat fires some insight that has passing relevance to what is going on organically. It comes off unnatural to me. I find she also preps very hard on McDavid. Which yes I don’t like, but tell me something deeper than prepped notes. Otherwise I am going to mute.

So ya lots to respect her for in hockey, but like Gretzky can not be given a free pass to do whatever she wants.

For what its worth I don’t like Bieksa either I think he cones off like a sassy hairdresser. Men can be just as bad too.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprisingly I really like Bieksa
Very entertaining and not afraid to make fun of himself
And his photos behind him always have some meaning
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #51
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
She's a Member of the Order of Canada. Again, that is our nation's highest honor for its citizens.
Just for the record - The highest Canadian civilian honour is Companion of the Order of Canada.

#1 - Companion - Recognizes national pre-eminence or international service or achievement.

#2 - Officer - Recognizes national service or achievement.

#3 - Member - Recognizes outstanding contributions at the local or regional level or in a special field of activity.

I believe that she will be moved up to Officer after a few more years of broadcasting as, like Killer Carlson wrote, she is a ground breaker.

Personally I have no opinion on her talent/skill as a colour commentator or panel person. Flames fans will always hear too much McD in the commentary or discussions (and too much Matthews in TML games, or too much Price in MTL games - OTT games really mess with our minds , which tkachuk is he talking about??). You know when there is a lot of love for Flames players - on the Canadian broadcast when they play US teams.

Don't worry - They will all love us when we win!!
Old 03-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #52
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
So when a poster says that the female broadcasters need to "get a room" with Connor, or that one of them is "getting wet" over him - that's ugly, crude and misogynistic junk. And it should be called that.
I've seen these exact same sexualized comments directed at male broadcasters in fact it's common. Person "A" is getting "aroused" they'll be (sex act) Connor or the ref etc. in the intermission. And so on. It's basically a meme at this point.

I am in no way condoning such comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #53
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I have been watching Jennifer Botterill on SN more closely. She is so good on camera now. It wasn't always the case with her but she looks right at home on camera now. Better than Stajan, Sarich or even Hrudey imo.
I really like her on the broadcasts. She doesn't seem to get a lot of opportunities but I enjoy seeing her contribution whenever she is on.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #54
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me I don't care what gender the commentator is. There are plenty of females in different sports I absolutely enjoy listening to. Cassie is not one of them. She is just grating to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #55
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate how much I enjoy Bieksa at times. He talks like a valley girl, and I will always loathe the guy, but he seems to be a good fit for tv. Dammit.

Last edited by Table 5; 03-07-2021 at 01:40 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I hate how much I enjoy Bieksa at times. He talk like a valley girl, and I will always loathe the guy, but he seems to be a good fit for tv. Dammit.
He definitely doesnt take himself too seriously.

I still want to use his face as a speed-bag every time I see it, and, lets not muddy the waters, he has a Top-10 'World's Most Punchable face'....but I might eventually warm to him as a hockey analyst.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #57
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind Cassie at all. I certainly don't get the hatred for her, which to me just seems wildly over-the-top for what her role is. To me, the vitriol of some posts about her really seems unjustifiable based on her actual role and performance. I can't see why anyone would be so upset by her work even they don't think it's good quality.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 03-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #58
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think the complaints about all the McDavid talk are also overblown (from the GT last night).

If the Flames had anyone anywhere near that level, we’d be a talking point. We don’t, and never have. Being upset that our poor/mediocre small-town market doesn’t get enough love is just silly. We don’t deserve it. We don’t have stars that “sell”, nor do we have success to talk about.

In the wasteland of analyzing a Flames/Oilers game, McDavid is a diamond among the rough. Of course Cassie, and whoever else is doing the game is going to focus on McDavid - this shouldn’t be a mark against her or anyone on the crew.
I disagree when it comes to them forcing non stop coverage on him throughout the broadcasts. They literally focused on his ability to take contact during the 1st intermission because he hadn't actually done anything highlight worthy. Then during the 2nd intermission they showed a clip of him saying "hey!" when he wanted the puck from Nurse. Wow! Such generational skill.

I get covering him a lot, there are plenty of reasons to. But it's nauseating when they do so for no reason. At those points in the game, why not have a discussion about something interesting that happened in the game or around the league?

Force feeding non highlights IS ridiculous and simply not entertaining or interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #59
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's SN towing the NHL marketing line. McHerpes is the face of the league like it or not. And as such I thoroughly believe it's the hockey media's job to over saturate the leagues hottest commodity. We've seen this for decades, its an old formula.

Previous era over saturated athlete coverage:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Lindros
Crosby vs. Ov and 99 times out of ten it was only about Crosby. It was disgusting.

End of the day, we hate it more because he is an Oiler.
But really, as far as Canadian media goes, if it's not Toronto you'd never hear about it. Just imagine if he was a Leaf.

Anyhoops, Cassie is fine but I also think she's doing her job in over celebrating the holy annointed one. It's in the job description.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #60
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't care about what she did before, it's about her roll in broadcasting that I don't like. I never watched much women's hockey, and probably won't anytime soon. It's okay to show your dislike of something or someone, a good example of that would be, Geoff Ward.

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread