Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #21
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

My thoughts ...

Think she's a great person, had an amazing career.

Think she feels she's in a tough spot doing Flames games nationally with her husband an assistant GM.

Think all fan bases think they're getting the short end of the stick from a broadcast.

Think she's better as a between periods analyst than a colour analyst.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #22
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Why would think that? And does Cassie need special treatment because she's a woman? Do you think women are inferior and need to be protected? Sounds like it. What if someone did say Cassie shouldn't be doing colour because she's a woman, so? Yes that's wrong but she can handle it Cassie doesn't need you or anyone to protect her. She's proven that her entire career.
I think so because the criticism of her seem to be so greatly out of proportion to her actual quality. There are tonnes of terrible colour commentators that are at least as bad, and seldom endure the kind of enraged reactions that I see pretty frequently to Campbell-Pascall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That's a long list of accomplishments that clearly don't lend any ability to do her current job. No one is complaining about Cassie's ability to play hockey during the broadcasts.
I dont get what people are thinking here.

I will absolutely agree that she seems like a wonderful and highly accomplished person. If I had to choose between her and Trudeau for Prime Minister she'd have my vote.

But this job may just not be for her. She is not good at this. And she is not a rookie.

If they hired the Dalai Lama to do colour and he sucked I'd complain about him too.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #24
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think so because the criticism of her seem to be so greatly out of proportion to her actual quality. There are tonnes of terrible colour commentators that are at least as bad, and seldom endure the kind of enraged reactions that I see pretty frequently to Campbell-Pascall.
Is that mostly because of sample size or where you are looking? If you just look at the reactions here on CP from Flames fans who experience Cassie on an almost daily basis you might get the sense that we are overly tough on her. I have no idea if fans in other markets are as critical or opinionated about their commentators as we are?
Old 03-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #25
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think this is true. Loubardias got constant complaints, so did Kerr. I think it's just fresher.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #26
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think she's miss-cast in her role. I enjoy her a lot more when she's part of the between period panel.
I also enjoy women more between periods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #27
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I found the broadcast irritating last night, but Campbell-Pascall is taking way too much of the criticism for a team production. I highly doubt that she is telling the crew in the truck to show McDavid breakout highlights every single whistle.

There is a director and production crew that clearly have orders to put a gigantic spotlight on McDavid because he's a superstar.

The shift by shift breakdown between periods was even more egregious because you could see they were so desperate to show how amazing he is that they were selling it even without the goods to show.

He had 3 points but honestly his 2 assists were nothing special and his one big rush in the game up until his nice goal was him not having control of the puck and then throwing it out to the front blindly for a giveaway.

I can't blame Cassie for having to talk about it because that is where the cameras are pointed and those are the highlights they queue up for her. She's certainly not going to talk about him being overrated or undeserving of the attention when its the key to their broadcast.

Plus the Flames players other than Tkachuk were MIA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #28
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nonsense. Jimmy Canuck has been heavily (to put it mildly) criticized for decades now especially when he does Vancouver games. And as mentioned the Fan960, I find it so bad I can't even listen anymore except in short stints. I'll take Cassie any day over that mess.

And she's much better when doing intermissions.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #29
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think this is true. Loubardias got constant complaints, so did Kerr. I think it's just fresher.
Yeah, this is fair.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #30
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Nonsense. Jimmy Canuck has been heavily (to put it mildly) criticized for decades now especially when he does Vancouver games. And as mentioned the Fan960, I find it so bad I can't even listen anymore except in short stints. I'll take Cassie any day over that mess.
This one is even stranger to me. Yeah, Hughson has a history of bias with Vancouver, but he is legitimately an excellent game-caller. His call in round one of the 2015 playoff series was sensational—in a series featuring the Canucks no less.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #31
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think she's miss-cast in her role. I enjoy her a lot more when she's part of the between period panel. She seems to do better when she has time to collect her thoughts. As a color commentator I find her to be very similar to Charlie Simmer, in that neither could quickly analyze a play on the fly in a manner in which they are telling you something beyond what we can all see with our own eyes.

Part of being in the media is accepting criticism. That being said, I find the specific comments about her to be over the line sometimes. One poster was suspended last night for a lewd and misogynistic comment. Another made a similar remark.

That makes us as Flames fans, and this community, look really bad. No need for that garbage.
Thanks Jiri for the insight and heads up this post! Sometimes as fans we do go over the top saying things we would never say in front of our family, friends, or the person we are talking about. Some of us have been a part of this community for a long time and we need to show some maturity.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #32
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
My thoughts ...

Think she's a great person, had an amazing career.

Think she feels she's in a tough spot doing Flames games nationally with her husband an assistant GM.

Think all fan bases think they're getting the short end of the stick from a broadcast.

Think she's better as a between periods analyst than a colour analyst.
I agree with this. I think Campbell-Pascall, Bieksa, Amber, Friedman and then a rotating guest should be the panel between periods/post-game (and also, do more/better post-game coverage as well). Have Hrudey, Stewart, and other ex-players from both the male and female side rotate through as special guests.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #33
UnitedFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

She interrupts the PBP person regularly. It's like she forgets she's working with someone else... just goes on and on and on. If there was an equivalent word to 'mansplaining' for someone over-explaining hockey, she'd be it. By the third period, I have to use the mute button. I'll mute her, wait some seconds... do you think she's still talking? unmute... yup, still going, mute again...

She's way, way better at the intermission analysis. She excels there.
The Following User Says Thank You to UnitedFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #34
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This one is even stranger to me. Yeah, Hughson has a history of bias with Vancouver, but he is legitimately an excellent game-caller. His call in round one of the 2015 playoff series was sensational—in a series featuring the Canucks no less.
It's way worse than simple bias. When the Canucks were actually good you could easily hear his voice dramatically change depending on how Van was playing, something that didn't happened otherwise. Sometimes he could hide it pretty well other times it was ridiculous. He had the piss taken out of him for years over this.

I bet if Loubardias replaced Cassie people would be losing their ####, I would. I can't stomach the guy for more than a few minutes he grates on my nerves like no one else in hockey.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #35
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the complaints about all the McDavid talk are also overblown (from the GT last night).

If the Flames had anyone anywhere near that level, we’d be a talking point. We don’t, and never have. Being upset that our poor/mediocre small-town market doesn’t get enough love is just silly. We don’t deserve it. We don’t have stars that “sell”, nor do we have success to talk about.

In the wasteland of analyzing a Flames/Oilers game, McDavid is a diamond among the rough. Of course Cassie, and whoever else is doing the game is going to focus on McDavid - this shouldn’t be a mark against her or anyone on the crew.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #36
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I have to say is that last night was actually one of her best performances, IMHO. I think she's slowly and consistently gotten better over time, but people have a predetermined negative narrative about her.

Some of that is based on her early work, which did deserve criticism, and she still has days where she isn't fantastic, but very few in the broadcasting business are consistently good every day. Regardless, people aren't willing to give her a chance based on that previous experience. On the other hand, I truly believe that some people view her negatively simply for misogynistic reasons. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes, but I think it's definitely part of it.

Some men struggle to accept that she has more than enough expertise to make her opinions heard, and they openly question it far more than they would a male commentator that they disagree with. It may be unconscious bias, but it's still bias none the less. I think it would be good if people really reflected on whether they have that bias or not. That's not to imply any of you (or even myself at times) are monsters if you think that way, but it just is human nature to some extent, and we all have to be aware of our own tendencies. Once you are aware, you can self-correct a little and then things become more equitable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #37
Computerjungle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was so happy when they got rid of Charlie simmer from Flames broadcast crew. Then they hired his daughter. Cassie and Charlie both babble about nothing while game is in the offensive zone. I have turned off the sound on both those jerk wads. Last week she gave a shout out of some russian player while the flames where pressing. Rick Ball had to interrupt because of a shot on net. Ball apologized, and Cassie just continued on with her shout out. I wish i was smart enough to synch radio and tv broadcast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Computerjungle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #38
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wasn't Hughson the guy who made the "HERE'S JOHNNY!" just before he scored on a breakaway and stayed quiet for the horn/crowd noise? That was an incredible call.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #39
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah that's fine.

But that doesn't mean he or Cassie are good.

Craig Simpson is a great one to compare them too. He is beside Hughson and compliments him well. Great chemistry and flow.

These two have two of the best in the business beside them in Ball and Cuthbert.....and they get in the way.

I agree with Jiri though...it seems be coming a lost art.

Doug Barkely was the best i have ever heard on radio.

Harry Neale was absolute gold on TV.

All that being said, i have only ever turned off commentating twice in my life because it was overpowering the actual game...both times it was the Avalanche crew about 15 or so years back.

We just dont get anything close to that any more.
Absolutely right on on Doug Barkely and Harry Neal!! Boy Flames radio was good back then. I like "Cheech" too he was always joking around and having fun.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #40
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That's a long list of accomplishments that clearly don't lend any ability to do her current job. No one is complaining about Cassie's ability to play hockey during the broadcasts.
She's playing hockey during the broadcasts?!?! No wonder she's struggling!
Closed Thread