Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #21
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Go-Go's should be in, they were groundbreaking as far as female groups are concerned. Too early for the Foo Fighters IMO.

It may very well be too early for the Foo Fighters, but when talking about them with a lot of people I feel most don't remember/realize how old they are. I feel a lot of people think of them as a late, late 90's , early 2000's band.

They think of them as long after the grunge/rock bands of the early 90's, but they're really not. They actually matched up with major second/career best albums from Stone Temple Pilots/Smashing Pumpkins etc. They were headlining festivals by 97. Kurt passed in 94 and Dave released Foo Fighter's killer debut album in '95. Their biggest hits coming off their '97 album.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-13-2021 at 06:53 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #22
jayswin

Exp:

They're a 25 year old band. Nirvana was inducted in 2014, 27 years after they started, but you could argue that they took until '91 for their careers to take off. So they were inducted 22 years after commercial success.

Not trying to change any minds on what you think of Foo Fighters being inducted on merit, but just pointing out that I feel "too early" isn't correct and correlates with a lot of my conversations that people feel that band is "younger" than it actually is.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-13-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #23
jayswin

Exp:

If they have anything going against them it's that Dave is a modern rockstar, living healthy, balancing art and life and still rocking strong 25 years after the band started. So with them still writing hits and feeling "current" to most listeners they fail to feel "old" enough to be eligible, unlike a band from that long ago that lost a founding member or stopped writing music so therefore feel like "yeah, they've served their time/It's been 20 years since we heard these legends perform".

Quote:
All my life
Best of You
Everlong
The Pretender
My Hero
Learn to Fly
Times like These
Monkey Wrench
Big Me
Break Out
Long Road to Ruin
This is a Call
Rope
These Days
Sky is a neighbourhood

Last edited by jayswin; 02-13-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #24
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally I dont think anyone should be getting into any kind of hall of fame until they have retired and their whole body of work is being judged, but that doesnt sell tickets I guess
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #25
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Dave Grohl would be the first to tell you that Motorhead should be in the hall before Foo Fighters. They've been nominated previously, last year, same with Devo.
The Rock hall has been controversial for a while now about who they pick and who they don't. The fans still like their bands regardless.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #26
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
If they have anything going against them it's that Dave is a modern rockstar, living healthy, balancing art and life and still rocking strong 25 years after the band started. So with them still writing hits and feeling "current" to most listeners they fail to feel "old" enough to be eligible, unlike a band from that long ago that lost a founding member or stopped writing music so therefore feel like "yeah, they've served their time/It's been 20 years since we heard these legends perform".
Yeah I fall into that catagory.

I forget how long the Foos have been around and how quality they have been.

Hey 22ish year old UCB, you should have gone with your buddy to see "the band of the drummer from Nirvana" at the Repulik all those years ago instead of working late.

Idiot.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 05:48 PM   #27
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
personally I dont think anyone should be getting into any kind of hall of fame until they have retired and their whole body of work is being judged, but that doesnt sell tickets I guess

I mean are they going to have less success or hits by going longer? Seems like weird criteria if they fit it as is. Although, I see the value in having the closure that they are done.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-16-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #28
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Dave Grohl would be the first to tell you that Motorhead should be in the hall before Foo Fighters. They've been nominated previously, last year, same with Devo.
The Rock hall has been controversial for a while now about who they pick and who they don't. The fans still like their bands regardless.

Wait, Motorhead isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? That's a joke right? I don't really care that much, but Motorhead not being in basically means being in or not is completely meaningless. If it wasn't already.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:33 AM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Wait, Motorhead isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? That's a joke right? I don't really care that much, but Motorhead not being in basically means being in or not is completely meaningless. If it wasn't already.
When Metallica was inducted they spoke about how Motorhead and Deep Purple should be in...thought that might tip the scales but I guess not
Old 02-17-2021, 01:03 AM   #30
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess to me it seemed that the Foo's are still on top of their game but I suppose they have enough of a track record.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:04 AM   #31
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I understand waiting for a while before getting inducted, but I don't think it should be after they retire. So many bands keep playing until their 70's or so, I don't want to wait that long. I am a bit biased though as the performances by the bands at the induction ceremonies is one of my hilites of the year, I love that stuff. I'd still like to see the bands perform as a whole group as much as possible before they start dying off.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #32
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

They already make artists wait 25 years, I think that's enough. So much ridiculous politics involved in the rock hall. They made Rush wait forever because Jan Wenner hated prog rock.

I do enjoy when the bands play at the induction. Disappointing when they can't set aside differences and just do a show for their fans, but what can you do?

And yes, Motorhead should have been in years ago.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #33
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best thing about the RRHOF is the Sex Pistols calling it a piss stain.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

They could induct Grohl first and the band later?

I think Bruce was inducted before the E Street Band.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #35
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Do many bands actually ever retire? They usually only quit if multiple members die or they break up due to fighting. The Stones were inducted in 1989 and they're just one example. I'd guess most are inducted while they're still touring and/or producing new music

And for the record, Foo Fighters should definitely be in.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #36
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

But what is goal with that, what would it accomplish? Dave does lots of work with other bands and projects, but not enough that he's worth more than what he's done with the Foo Fighters.

It would come off as a weird half measure that just makes things awkward. Bruce is a solo artist that tours and records with the E street band most of the time. Dave Grohl (besides the first Foo's album but that would still fall under Foo Fighters) is just starting a solo thing next year.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #37
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But what is goal with that, what would it accomplish? Dave does lots of work with other bands and projects, but not enough that he's worth more than what he's done with the Foo Fighters.

It would come off as a weird half measure that just makes things awkward. Bruce is a solo artist that tours and records with the E street band most of the time. Dave Grohl (besides the first Foo's album but that would still fall under Foo Fighters) is just starting a solo thing next year.
Also I don't get the feeling that Dave sees himself as bigger than the group.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Also I don't get the feeling that Dave sees himself as bigger than the group.
I agree he would not see it that way, but he is the big leader. Dave is the front-man, driving force, and face of the group. I can only name two other members of the band off the top of my head, and one of them is a part-timer. The first FF album was entirely made by Dave. I assume he does most of the writing even now.

He was in another legendary band before FF, and has done numerous collaborations.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:27 PM   #39
Trolleydodger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Devo
Kate Bush
Fela Kuti
Carole King

and Iron Maiden I guess, even though I was never much of a fan.
Trolleydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolleydodger View Post
Devo
Kate Bush
Fela Kuti
Carole King

and Iron Maiden I guess, even though I was never much of a fan.
Iron Maiden is one of the most influential metal bands ever so it's a no-brainer IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote