Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #1261
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I'm fascinated with your opinion of Ole as you seem obsessed with him.

Obsessed with him to a point when you're incredulous at him not being fired right in the middle of a winning streak. Obsessed with him to a point at not being fired when results show that he's far outperformed Jose, Frank and Rodgers and even Pep over the last 12 months. Obsessed with him to a point that you fixate on him and ignore the others.

And NO-ONE has claimed he is a great manager. But the Rafa fact remains that he's doing a far better job at United than Frank at Chelsea, and Jose at Spurs.

And please stop with your stupid baseless comments that his results are skewed due to him being the beneficiary of an unreal amount of penalties. Because it is a proven fact that this is absolute bs.

Here. Let's take away ALL penalties and see where the league table sits.
https://www.sportbible.com/football/...u5uR8DRqUlE3KI

Now never repeat that silly baseless statement again.

You don't watch United games but you have an issue with DVB being on the bench. Why don't you elaborate on why this is poor management. I mean he's probably player as much as someone like ....Ali, or Bale. But then again maybe he's sitting on the bench only 70-80% fit because in your world this is what happens ...right?

Now then you just carry on with your fixation of Ole if it helps you cope with your denial with the cancer currently at your club. Difference between United and Spurs fans pov on this is they have experienced both. As limited as Ole might be he has done a great job clearing up the mess of Mourinho.

Let's be clear Slava. No one here has ranted about Ole. No one is putting him on a pedestal. This conversation is not about how great he is. This conversation is about asking you to articulate why you think he should be fired.

And the best you have came up with is. 1. United get a lot of penalties. 2. United are lucky and 3. Other people think that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Woodshedded.
I wouldn't say woodshedded. I thought he would be sacked this fall and so did a lot of people. Apparently it makes Bagor angry that I'd even suggest, and who knows why. I mean it sure looks like he thought that Ole might be sacked as well?

Quote:
Stupid trolling aside that was absolutely brutal.

Ole must be on his very least legs.
Quote:
Ole's job hanging by a thread.

Ward-Prowse sure can take a fk.
Quote:
Anyone over James I get. He is clearly out of his depth at United.

My only concern is that someone new comes in and we hear the maybe they'll be able to get something out of Pogba story again delaying his exit from the club.
I don't why he would think that. Ole has outperformed all these other managers and maybe Spurs should fire Mourinho.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #1262
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What an insightful post.
Now. You going to answer the questions?
I would rather let your consistent rants die from lack of attention as they serve no purpose but to #### on Slava or myself while offering little in the way of any interesting or new information on this thread.

But, i'll bite a little.

Let's start with the history of Man U and the culture of winning instilled there by its own past, ownership, and the fans. Man U isnt just any top half EPL team; it is (arguably) the most expensive franchise in the world, with (arguably) the most prolific history. This team demands results from its managers and players.

Concurrently managers have to live in the shadows of one of the greatest managers of all time, SIR Alex Ferguson. Ferguson was manager from 1986-2013: 27 YEARS and won 38 trophies. No one has come close, and they certainly havent been given much of a leash:

Managers since then:
David Moyes: 51 Games; 53% win %
Ryan Giggs (caretaker): 4 games; 50%
Van Gaal: 103 games; 52%
Mourinho: 144 games; 58% (plus Europa and league cup)
OGS: 118 games; 57%

Its interesting that Jose and OGS have similar win % - while Jose taking a major trophy - and yet we speak of his reign their as a disaster. But i don't want to get into that, its just an observation.

I also think the amount of money a team spends can add to the pressure, as it explains why Lampard is feeling more heat. Spending money in the transfer windows and seeing a lack of results can increase pressure as well. Man U have spent over 250 million in the last 2 years.

So yeah, lots of pressure for a manager - and Man U started this season off... not great.. they lose to Spurs 6-1 at home. Barcelona got trounced by Munich in the semis of the Champions League and that was enough to sack their manager. the Spurs loss probably would have been a bigger deal if Liverpool didn't get crushed by Leeds the same weekend. Then they get turfed from the Champions League.

The Pressure was on, and it wasnt just Slava:

https://talksport.com/football/80155...mpions-league/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-sack-23147735

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ammed-sack-SNT

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ampions-League

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...vals-City.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...end-of-season/

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1615198.html

https://weallfollowunited.com/2020/1...-being-sacked/

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...d-two-years-on

So, I would say it was in the news. It was discussed at length in a lot of newspapers, podcasts, and on TV (Sky Sports, Football Daily etc.). I would also say, where there is smoke there is often fire.

So why get mad at Slava?

You bring up Tottenham in response and why Mourinho isnt getting the same heat. It frankly has to do with all of the above. Tottenham lacks the same domestic and international past as Man U. Its also not as popular of a club or worth as much. You cannot compare the managing environments of Tottenham and Man U as both teams have different expectations (fans, owners, etc.)

For example, Pochettino is lauded for bringing the spurs into relevancy, had some unreal teams and never one a significant trophy. That type of performance over 5 years wouldn't fly at Man U, but at Tottenham Pochettino is a modern deity.

So, the managerial pressure is lower..

You may disagree, but Mourinho still holds a ton of cache in footballing worlds, and to Daniel Levy. He called him one of the two best managers in the EPL when hired. Gave him 19 mil a year to manage Tottenham, a notoriously stingy club (on top of paying Pochettino's severance). He got Tottenham out of the bottom third last year and had them fighting for a champions league spot until injuries to Son and Kane (and Lloris) derailed that. They got Europa (if they hadn't it might be a different tune this year) and look to have a pretty good shot at winning that. I would argue that, given Jose's reputation, salary, and limited success from last year given injuries, his leash is longer.

This offseason, Tottenham added some key players but in the end, the fees paid were not outrageous. They didn't spend 250 million like Chelsea, but added some key pieces for sensible money. So the money pressure isn't really there, yet.

This season, Tottenham's stated goals were top 4 and champions league qualification. I would also argue that either silverware or near silverware was important too. So far, he has at least met those marks. League Cup Final, decent upcoming draws in the FA Cup, and currently in a crowded mess for top 4. He even flirted with 1st place for a while - a historically big deal. He has effectively beaten the teams he has needed to beat to prove that this team, under him, is capable of winning - Man U, Man City, Chelsea.

And don't get me wrong, he is taking flack for the recent slump and the horrendous draws Spurs are suffering against lower ranked teams. This team should easily be in Top 4 if they didnt surrender 11 points buy allowing goals in the final 20 min. That is on him and its on the team for sure.

But, for all of the above reasons, the media isnt hounding Jose or Spurs. I can't find a single opinion piece suggesting he should be sacked, nor can i find one suggesting he is on the hotseat. The Athletic posted an article after fulham saying he needs to share the blame with the players. thats it.

Don't get me wrong. Spurs fans are pissed over the recent run of games, but there is no point comparing the potential outcomes of Mourinho and OGS.

Last edited by Cappy; 01-16-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #1263
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Parker v Lampard in the Cockney accent managers derby.

Sumfink special this is going to be
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #1264
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jesus it is torture watching Chelsea play lately. If Fulham doesn't take a red card then the game could have gone on for five hours and Chelsea wouldn't have scored.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #1265
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I wouldn't say woodshedded. I thought he would be sacked this fall and so did a lot of people.
You just recently said, his results were dependent upon penalties.
The data shows you couldn’t possibly have been more wrong

ie; woodshedded.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #1266
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears I have offended the Terance and Phillip of THFC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I wouldn't say woodshedded. I thought he would be sacked this fall and so did a lot of people. Apparently it makes Bagor angry that I'd even suggest, and who knows why. I mean it sure looks like he thought that Ole might be sacked as well?

I don't why he would think that. Ole has outperformed all these other managers and maybe Spurs should fire Mourinho.
No you were in disbelief post CL exit. And then when asked to elaborate on this disbelief in true form you had nothing.

Such a dishonest post Slava. Be ashamed of yourself for stooping to the level of dishonesty.

Those quotes were taken from earlier in the season before he turned it around when things were not looking rosy for him. In fact the "job hanging by a thread" was posted when they were 2-0 to Southampton in a game that they turned around big time.

Now.....your disbelief post was post CL exit when he was on a PL streak.
I asked you then to elaborate on it. You couldn't

I've asked you multiple times since to elaborate on your thought.

Multiple times you've been unable

Multiple times you have failed to elaborate on it because all you have is drive bys.

The best you could come up with was some sort of penalty conspiracy, luck and but others thought it too!

Now ....Are you in disbelief that Mourinho hasn't been canned? If not, why not? Are you capable of answering a question

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #1267
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Big long load of drivel

I have no desire to engage with you. You're not worth the energy

I will just say this though. As much as I dislike Liverpool I at least have the respect for them to the point that I would never ever link a Sun article. Get a grip.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #1268
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have no desire to engage with you.
Thanks. This is literally what I asked for
Old 01-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #1269
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the record for most offsides in a match? Rashford is taking a run at it in this game.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #1270
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The lack of fans is especially noticeable in these big rivalry games. The intensity just isn’t as high as it normally is when these two meet.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #1271
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
The lack of fans is especially noticeable in these big rivalry games. The intensity just isn’t as high as it normally is when these two meet.
Yep, and in this case to United’s benefit.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #1272
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Thanks. This is literally what I asked for
Which explains why you wrote a long piece of crap!
Go read the sun!

Old 01-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #1273
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool dominating.

Think Matic for McT would work better and the cuteness of Cavani against that high line.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:28 AM   #1274
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
There's also not the same animosity and dislike between the players of days gone by.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #1275
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
There's also not the same animosity and dislike between the players of days gone by.
That’s true. It’s been a long time since both of these clubs have been challenging for the top of the league at the same time. The hatred is gone, and that really only comes back through the fans. I mean, we still hate each other plenty, but it doesn’t show up on the pitch at the moment.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:33 AM   #1276
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Which explains why you wrote a long piece of crap!
Go read the sun!
You asked for it. But no, keep spewing your ignorant bull#### and ignore both the answer to the question you asked plus the post where Slava calls out your own thoughts on OGS getting sacked.

Or better yet, do us all a favour and don’t respond to this post.

Last edited by Cappy; 01-17-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #1277
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunreader View Post
You asked for it. But no, keep spewing your ignorant bull#### and ignore both the answer to the question you asked plus the post where Slava calls out your own thoughts on OGS getting sacked.

Or better yet, do us all a favour and don’t respond to this post.
I asked for it! Lol!. What age are you....seriously. 16?

With all due respect. Your response was absolutely crap and not worthy of a response. Like the the wonderful insight that Levy said he was the second best manner in the league.....so there!

Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #1278
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I asked for it! Lol!. What age are you....seriously. 16?

With all due respect. Your response was absolutely crap and not worthy of a response. Like the the wonderful insight that Levy said he was the second best manner in the league.....so there!
You literally said “are you going to answer the questions?”

So yeah you asked for it. And then you offer no response outside of “that post was crap” no articulation at all. You’re a great contributor

You are the biggest troll on this board and I seriously think your jab about age is you projecting.

You lashed out at slava for something you yourself have said months prior. Then you ask for a reason why mourinho is different without offering anything other than drive by swipes against him or myself.

You are tiresome. I’ve been following this thread for a year and can easily tell who the biggest ####head is in this thread. I’m all for debate and a lively thread but your continuous trolling and snipes are horrible.

Either respond to the comments made or shut the #### up about this debate.

In other news: good win by Tottenham today, against the worst team in the league...

It almost looked like the team was getting ready to sit back but they ended up building a cushion for once. Ndombele’s goal straddled the line between fluke and filth
Old 01-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #1279
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well that was a dud.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #1280
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunreader View Post
You literally said “are you going to answer the questions?”

So yeah you asked for it. And then you offer no response outside of “that post was crap” no articulation at all. You’re a great contributor

You are the biggest troll on this board and I seriously think your jab about age is you projecting.

You lashed out at slava for something you yourself have said months prior. Then you ask for a reason why mourinho is different without offering anything other than drive by swipes against him or myself.

You are tiresome. I’ve been following this thread for a year and can easily tell who the biggest ####head is in this thread. I’m all for debate and a lively thread but your continuous trolling and snipes are horrible.

Either respond to the comments made or shut the #### up about this debate.
No. Because your response was absolutely crap and not worthy of a response. Seriously. It really was pitiful.

Now stop your whining. There were no snipes towards Slava. He was simply asked to expand on his thoughts at the time. He failed to do so. He was asked if his own standards should apply to Jose. He ran from that too.

There was no I told you so. There was a explain and elaborate on your thought.

There were no contradictory posts from me. You struggle following conversations. You struggle with context. You struggle...period. If I was to suggest Mourinho's job was hanging by a thread last week and in 4 weeks time after a 5 game winning streak they're not the same.

I'm sorry that I won't respond to your lonnng post but seriously it really isn't worth it. If you're offended by that so be it.