Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #3821
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Tanaka signed in Japan.

Hopefully this triggers the starting pitching market finally.
I think it's Bauer that's holding that up.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #3822
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Based on the comments from Shapiro today the Jays are for sure out on Bauer. He mentioned their "heavy lifting" is done. Either be a trade or a lower money deal for a starter (Paxton seems to fit there).

This won't be a popular option but I'm personally intrigued by the idea of stretching out Kay and Merryweather and having an open competition for rotation spots. See what you have and then look at the TDL to add a bigger piece to the top end of the rotation. I think their lineup and their bullpen can compensate for youth in the rotation.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #3823
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
See what you have and then look at the TDL to add a bigger piece to the top end of the rotation.
I think that's going to happen anyways. I think the Jays prospect powder is dry so they can make a swing for a rental Ace at the TDL.

I'm kind of opposed to trying out Merryweather as a starter... he's a legitimate weapon out of the bullpen and he hasn't been able to stay healthy as a starter in the minors. Let's get some value out of him now before he breaks for good.

Kay in the rotation is a possibility... he's fighting against the Jays need for a lefty in the bullpen, the lack of need for a bottom of the rotation arm, and Roark's price tag. If he blows them away in ST then I'm sure the Jays will consider it... but ties aren't going to go to him.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #3824
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think it's Bauer that's holding that up.
More than likely, but he's the only top tier free agent starting pitcher. Maybe one of the mid tier guys going off the board will cause other mid tier guys to start taking offers that are on the table.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #3825
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think that's going to happen anyways. I think the Jays prospect powder is dry so they can make a swing for a rental Ace at the TDL.

I'm kind of opposed to trying out Merryweather as a starter... he's a legitimate weapon out of the bullpen and he hasn't been able to stay healthy as a starter in the minors. Let's get some value out of him now before he breaks for good.

Kay in the rotation is a possibility... he's fighting against the Jays need for a lefty in the bullpen, the lack of need for a bottom of the rotation arm, and Roark's price tag. If he blows them away in ST then I'm sure the Jays will consider it... but ties aren't going to go to him.
Very fair and i don't disagree with this. I have a bit of a bias that I always prefer to see if you can get a SP out of someone before the become a pen arm (still wouldn't mine Boruki getting stretched out either) but these are good points.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #3826
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IMO the Jays rotation and bullpen is in the bottom 3rd of the league. Just way too many question marks. Counting on Pearson and his 18 MLB innings to be your #2 starter is just asking for failure. Robbie Ray as the #3 starter is counting a lot on the fact that he will somehow find his command, he had 45 walks in 51.2 innings last year. Then there are guys like Roark, Stripling, Chatwood who probably should all be longmen/spot starters out of a bullpen. Kay, Hatch, Merryweather, Murphy, Zeuch, Waguespack, Thornton all have talent but I am just not sold there is much upside with any of them outside of Merryweather.

Even if they bring in Walker and Paxton, I am not sure that this pitching staff is good enough to be a playoff team.

I want to be excited and I think there will be a few surprises in the pitching staff, but the fact that they aren't planning on addressing the pitching staff in any significant way is really disappointing.

*Disclaimer, I grew playing baseball as a pitcher, so I will always prefer a good pitching staff over a strong lineup. Especially in this era of launch angles and pull only hitters, good pitching will easily win over good hitting.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #3827
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

That's where I am at with Merryweather as well. The guy is 29 years old, it's not like he is a young prospect. His stuff is absolutely electric and it plays up in the pen. As you say as well with is injury history, it is easier to manage his innings out of the pen.

I also think Borucki is a legit lefty arm out of the pen, and same thing for him is you have to consider the injury history. I actually think Borucki has the potential to be an Andrew Miller type arm out of the bullpen.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #3828
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
More than likely, but he's the only top tier free agent starting pitcher. Maybe one of the mid tier guys going off the board will cause other mid tier guys to start taking offers that are on the table.
I think the mid-tier guys are all waiting for Bauer to set the market. I think agents want the comp. They'll want to say "My guy, statistically speaking, is X% as valuable as Bauer... so give us X% of Bauer's package and my guy won't be a jackass on Twitter".
Old 01-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #3829
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
IMO the Jays rotation and bullpen is in the bottom 3rd of the league.
I'd buy that argument for the Rotation as currently constituted but the Jays bullpen is really good. Fangraphs projects them to have the 9th best bullpen in baseball. I mean... the Jays bullpen was really good last year and they went and added Kirby Yates to it.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #3830
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Agree with keeping Merryweather in the bullpen. His combo of fastball and off speed is exceptional and basically ideal for late inning high leverage relief.

Still excited to see what Nate Pearson can do this season.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #3831
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'd buy that argument for the Rotation as currently constituted but the Jays bullpen is really good. Fangraphs projects them to have the 9th best bullpen in baseball. I mean... the Jays bullpen was really good last year and they went and added Kirby Yates to it.
The bullpen started good and then started to tail off towards the end and into the playoffs, mostly from over use. That's the troubling part, they got worn out in a short season, with expanded rosters, how is that going to work in a normal season?

I love the Yates signing and taking the gamble that he will rebound, but at the same time, it's still a gamble.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:41 PM   #3832
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...463536640?s=20

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354618443463536640
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #3833
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354620368934330379
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #3834
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the Jays just got their #5 starter. Three prospects though? Curious to see where they are on the depth chart (guessing 20+). Such an odd trade after this off-season.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #3835
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giving up SRF, Diaz and Winchowski.

Seems like an odd move to say the least.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #3836
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they plan on making him a high leverage lefty reliever?

I don't see how this guy moves the needle as a starter compared to what they already have.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #3837
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354622521610539013
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #3838
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Giving up SRF, Diaz and Winchowski.

Seems like an odd move to say the least.
Meh, you get what you pay for. I really hope they're not done on the pitching front.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #3839
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matz is...not great.

But he’ll eat innings, but also, he’s not great.

Nothing really lost however, so this is very minor
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #3840
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's like they are collecting as many #4/5 starters as they can and hoping some of them have good years haha

Ray
Stripling
Roark
Matz